Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I had my surgery on the 26th, that puts me at almost 2wks post op. I have been on the puréed/soft food diet since the day after I came home from the hospital. The doc wants me to only have Protein so I've been eating eggs, egg salad, tuna salad, taco meet, cottage cheese, etc. I am dying to incorporate some fruit like watermelon, bananas or strawberries and some veggies like steamed broccoli, cauliflower, or green Beans. Really wanting some cream of wheat with mashed banana in it.... When were you all allowed to incorporate fruits and veggies?

When we were on full liquids, I made Soups that had lots of veggies in them, but cooked them very well and pureed them (my blog has those recipes). But since we started soft food and regular food, I don't seem have any space to eat fruits and veggies. Do you think you could eat them and still make your Proteins?

My husband is eating a little watermelon with no trouble and I'm sure mashed banana etc. would be okay. For the broccoli or Beans etc. I'd cook them very soft, like overcooked cafeteria foods before I tried them.

btw, the strawberries I'd stay away from a bit longer due to the seeds. We were told not to eat fruits with seeds like that for a few months.

Thanks for the tip on the strawberries, I'll hold off on those.

I was thinking of having watermelon more as like a tiny snack when I'm craving something sweet.

I really want to have a small serving of cream of wheat with some banana mashed in it for Breakfast. I saw someone else say they had cream of wheat during purée stage so I don't think it'd hurt me. eggs have gotten old quick.

I like eating smushy veggies. I always overlook them. Maybe a bite of broccoli or something during my meal would make it seem more like a meal and be more satisfying. I know Protein is first but some variety would be nice.

Seeds especially can get stuck in the staple line and could cause a problem, something you really don't want to go through.

At 2 - 3 weeks I was on full liquids, "nothing that won't go through a straw" were his instructions.

I wasn't hungry and could only eat an eighth of a cup of food at a time, and I only ate because I needed to, so it was not a big deal. Remember, fruits are natural sugar, but sugar nevertheless, be cautious. Dr. Davidson told us to treat fruit as a treat, only a couple of times per week, but none until week 6.

I did mashed banana in my cottage cheese very early out. I did them on my pureed just mashed up real good and had no trouble with them. In fact I ate it every day for several days!

My dr had cream of wheat for me while still in the hospital. I couldn't eat it, though.

I wasn't allowed eggs until week 3, and meat was an option at week 5. So I say if you can have meat eat it and wait till after week 5 to start your body needs all the Protein it can get.

At 2-3 weeks I was still on a liquid diet. I'm about 5 weeks post op and I'm allowed to have 1-2 tbsp of fruit, veg or starch. The crazy thing is I couldn't even eat any of it after the Protein. I'm still struggling getting my protein down. It takes me about 45mins to an 1 hr to eat ground meat and fish. I tried mango the other day and it was easy to get down.

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll make sure to eat my Protein first and then see where I'm at :)

I should mention I am often very optimistic and put some bites of veggies on my plate, and sometimes even have a bite or two. I had some indian-style okra that was to die for on my first week of soft food and it tasted like HEAVEN. Like you, I too was craving something for a change and as long as it's cooked, a little thing won't hurt you.

We have a word for that in an indian language, and it's the french equivalent of amuse guelle, or amuse your mouth--just a little tasty thing on the side that lights up your tastebuds. :)

Sorry trying to learn how to work this thing. However as I mention before I am 1 week 3days post op. My doctor had us do a three day juice party and from day 4-14 we are only to drink four Protein Shakes and 48 oz of Water daily. I am always hungry and the Protein shakes does nothing for me. I tried some scrambled eggs and apple sauce today couldn't get much down. But I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me. I feel like I am going crazy. Before surgery my weight went back n fourth due to the fact that I don't eat enough it was never that I ate too much. I am a snacker and would most times skip meals due to my work schedule. I really want to make this a smooth transitions but I am getting very discouraged with this weeks foods of protein shakes. Do anyone think I can have some very cooked cabbage or Soups? I am dying here!!! Protein Shake girl lol

Sorry trying to learn how to work this thing. However as I mention before I am 1 week 3days post op. My doctor had us do a three day juice party and from day 4-14 we are only to drink four Protein Shakes and 48 oz of Water daily. I am always hungry and the Protein shakes does nothing for me. I tried some scrambled eggs and apple sauce today couldn't get much down. But I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me. I feel like I am going crazy. Before surgery my weight went back n fourth due to the fact that I don't eat enough it was never that I ate too much. I am a snacker and would most times skip meals due to my work schedule. I really want to make this a smooth transitions but I am getting very discouraged with this weeks foods of protein shakes. Do anyone think I can have some very cooked cabbage or Soups? I am dying here!!! Protein Shake girl lol

Perhaps you could check with you doc to see if you csn do puréed high protein soups? If so, I have some recipes on my blog for them. I was so sick of sweet shakes I couldn't stand it. Www.sleevers.wordpress.com. Search for bisque or Soup and you will find them.