Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starving all of the time!

Can anyone help me? I am 6 weeks out and down 50 pounds! I would love to Celebrate it, but I am miserable. I am literally on the brink of the worst hunger pains I have ever felt, all day, everyday. My sad attempts to eat just make me feel nauseated. Starving, nauseated, starving again...-all day! This can't go on forever can it? Will I ever turn the corner ? What's wrong with me?

50 pounds down in 6 weeks is serious stuff - no wonder you feel hungry, you really are starving. Sometimes these things start out as dehydration (causing nausea, weakness etc), and spiral on.

Get some decent Meal Replacement shakes in you before you get chemical imbalances that could seriously affect your health. See a doctor and tell them what is going on. You need some help to stabilise yourself - perhaps some anti-nausea meds or treatment for dehydration.

Maybe if you thin your food out before you eat it, it will go down easier. Are you still on soft foods right now? You definitely need to contact your doctor and let him know what you're going through!

Good advice.....

I just had another thought too... Not in place of my previous one but in addition to it...

Some people say that their reflux symptoms can feel like hunger for a while. If you're not on anti-reflux meds it would be worth it to try some for a while. Persistent reflux will certainly make you feel like cr@p.

Are you taking a ppi? If you are then maybe you need a different one. You can also ask your doc for some anti nausea meds. The acid made me feel like I was starving. As soon as I got on a better ppi I felt much better. Good luck!

I feel like that too! Turns out it was heartburn. I honestly thought they were serious hunger pains from HELL! Funny though, they sure don't feel like heartburn. They're pretty low for them too....its so strange. But yep, that is what they are. They've definitely lessened now. I just had one super long episode that just now ended only 10-15 minutes ago after I had some turkey chili. It's my fourth time having it since I made it and my portion is super tiny too......no reason I guess. But I swear I thought I was super starving to death. Then I realized that when I get truly hungry, I'm dizzy and lightheaded within 3-5 minutes of the feeling. I didn't get that with this feeling. Strange enough though, it does tend to calm down for a bit right after I have a sip or two of my Protein Shake or Water or something. Just like hunger does. But it usually comes back in a bit....

I feel ur pain. I don't get nauseous anymore (7 weeks out) but I'm hungry 90 minutes after eating. I'm sposed to be eating 3x a day now but I think I'd starve at that rate. I counted my calories from my 4-6 bites of food I can eat at 1 time + my Protein shake and it totals less than 450 cals a day. Not enuf in my opinion. So I'm eating 7-8 times a day. Still staying under 900 cals tho.

No one can convince me that my hunger is acid. I had reflux with my lapband and it's not that. Plus I'm on 40mg of Prilosec 2x a day. Plus I KNOW what hunger feels like. Plus it goes away when I've eaten a few bites of food. Reflux doesn't, food makes it worse.

I would definitely tell ur dr about ur nausea. That should be over by now. I only had 1 bout of nauses (besides after taking the leak test the day after surgery) once since being home. The day before I was to start soft foods. Thought for sure it would go until the next day also so I wouldn't be able to enjoy the upcoming feast I had planned (my 1 scrambled egg feast, that is!) but it was gone the next morning. I took a Zofran the day before. it didn't work cuz I realized I was dehydrated, thus the nausea. Dehydration is a vicious cycle: You're nauseous cuz you're not drinking but your not drinking cuz you're nauseous. Maybe your dehydrated?

Good luck!

I have not experienced this, but my wife, who was also sleeved did. Turned out to be acid reflux. She ended up going on a PPI and a vegan diet to correct it. After about a year, she could eat almost anything.