Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much magnesium citrate the night before surgery?

My doctor has me taking 2 10oz bottles of magnesium citrate the night before surgery. One is supposed to be at 4pm and the other at 6pm. I know it cleans you out, but 2 bottles?! Does anyone else's doctor do this? All I can think of is that I'll be in the bathroom all night before surgery. My surgery date is in 3 weeks...excited and nervous!

Well, I guess if the first one works.....the second one will go straight thru. :P

I certainly understand your apprehension though.....I have always found one to be more than enough. Your doc must have a reason. I would definitely ask him why two .....???.

Yes, I am worried about possible cramping and pain :( I'm not a big pain person.

Hey, you're not going to be sleeping much, anyway, so ...

It will give you something to do.

I did not have to do this, but I was on all liquids, so, there was nothing in there, anyway ...

Two bottles? ! That stuff is VERY powerful. I personally wouldnt trust 2 bottles, especially since you cannot have any Water from 12am forward on your surgery day. You'll be in the bathroom all night and the entire next day and could dehydrate. Not kidding. That stuff works REALLY well. 1 bottle will clean you out.

Oh and they're both gross but the cherry flavor is lightyears better than lemon lime.

Just remember, whatever doesn't come out before surgery, will come out after. You will have just gone through stomach surgery ... are you really ready for a firm BM?

Your option.

Oh and they're both gross but the cherry flavor is lightyears better than lemon lime.

Thanks! I figured they'd all be pretty nasty, nice to know the cherry is less gross :)

Just remember, whatever doesn't come out before surgery, will come out after. You will have just gone through stomach surgery ... are you really ready for a firm BM?

Your option.

Good point! My husband thinks I have to do two because the doctor doesn't do a 2 week liquid diet beforehand, just liquids the day before.

Good point! My husband thinks I have to do two because the doctor doesn't do a 2 week liquid diet beforehand' date=' just liquids the day before.[/quote']

Crap! Hehehe... Yep, no pre op diet??

Drink up :D

I believe that we should always follow the docs orders. there is a reason behind their mode of thinking. :P

Soon your be here sitting on the Big Loser's Bench with us! :P

I only had to drink 1 bottle however I was also on a 2 week liquid preop diet and the day before Clear Liquids only. I would definitely follow your doctor's orders and drink both.

I like the lemon the best. I highly recommend buying the in advance and putting the bottles in the fridge. Good luck!

I had to do 2day liquid diet preop and day before surgery had to drink half (5oz) of mag citrate. Dr. Said if no results by mid afternoon take rest of bottle. Nut i def had results.only lasted half a day.i was able to go shopping hy 5pm that evening.I agree cherry is best.it actually didnt taste bad.kinda salty and fizzy.id ollow what your dr says to do tho