Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month visit - need advice

So I went for my six month visit with what I thought would be the doctor and it turned out he had to go to some meeting so it ended up being his PA. I am 6 months out, down 60 pounds and I feel great. When i was talking with the PA and I was telling her my diet and how I have increased my Protein intake and caloric intake as I have been working out hard and I am also not one who loses weight when their calories are super low. I have adopted a much more primal diet and cut out a lot of sugar etc.

So this PA proceeds to tell me I don't need 120 grams of Protein a day and that I shouldn't be drinking a Protein shake after working out and that my calories should be under 1,000 calories a day. I felt like a child being scolded and I could feel my blood pressure rising as she sat there and talked.

I have done a lot of research and talked to a number of people about the eating plan that works for me. All this PA kept telling me was that I am trying to follow a diet that is for people who are entering body building competitions which I disagree with. I am following an eating plan that is clean but yet provides me with the essential calories to get through my day and my workouts. I use the protein and the complex carbs to fuel me and to repair muscles etc.

Has anyone else gotten this type of feedback from their doctor etc? I don't disagree there are things I could do like sub in Turkey bacon for regular bacon etc., but if I would do the things she wanted I would be back on a diet of less than 800 calories a day with 60 to 70 grams of protein and this is where I felt tired and run down. I understand the honeymoon phase is over but I have been struggling with feeling like I broke my sleeve, when i was perfectly happy with my diet and loss etc. Now I feel like a bit fat failure.

The fact of the matter is everyone doctors, Pa's,

Nuts, **** even all the people here will have different views on what works and what's "right"

My take away? f**k em! :P

If its working for you then keep it up. If its not change it. Even with everything science knows about weight and weight loss the body and process are still full of mysteries.

I go in on Wednesday, what do you think my surgeon will say about the 5:2 I do??

Well guess what? I don't care! He never had a weight problem or the sleeve. He can only gather so much information from a book. Academics?

Meh.. :D

Talk to your NUT, I bet he/she would agree with you...

Talk to your NUT' date=' I bet he/she would agree with you...[/quote']

Maybe, maybe not...

My nut was drinking a diet "squirt" soda when I saw her...

No thank you I know what I need. :D

Talk to your NUT, I bet he/she would agree with you...

I don't know that I agree with that....I've known several nutritionists who don't know jack either. They'll recommend lean cuisines and 100 cal packs of oreos.

I think maharet is right on track with what works for her body...and a *high five* for eating real foods!!

That PA is an idiot...

Sounds like the PA needs some education! 800 calories at 6 months? Yeah, I don't think so.

I've been on 1,000-1,200 calories, 80-100 grams of Protein since like week 5. I am 3.5 months out now and down 52 lbs. I am still losing 2-4 lbs a week, and I feel fabulous! At 5'11" and built like a linebacker, I wouldn't WANT to survive on less.

Don't let one uninformed opinion ruin your plan. As long as you are still losing, and feel good, do what's best for you. It's your body after all.

The fact of the matter is everyone doctors, Pa's,

Nuts, **** even all the people here will have different views on what works and what's "right"

My take away? f**k em! :P

If its working for you then keep it up. If its not change it. Even with everything science knows about weight and weight loss the body and process are still full of mysteries.

I go in on Wednesday, what do you think my surgeon will say about the 5:2 I do??

Well guess what? I don't care! He never had a weight problem or the sleeve. He can only gather so much information from a book. Academics?

Meh.. :D

If you don't mind sharing....What's the 5:2 plan? Is this like a ratio of Protein to carbs? Or like you eat certain foods on certain days?

If you don't mind sharing....What's the 5:2 plan? Is this like a ratio of Protein to carbs? Or like you eat certain foods on certain days?

5:2 plan is intermittent fasting.. Doesn't really work for newly sleeved people because well everyday is kinda like intermittent fasting :D

But it's two days of eating lower calorie (500) and giving your body some "resting" time between eating. I like that part because as sleevers we adopt a diet that is suspiciously close to grazing all day.

I think if you are losing weight and happy with what you are doing, then do it! Don't let the PA get you down,. Keep going strong!

Looks to me like the "paper expert" syndrome. Degrees, titles, certificates on the wall, out of touch with real world experience. The main thing obtained is blind arrogance, very common these days in every field. Universities turn out trainloads of incompetence, we are all inundated with misinformation.

Your diet and exercise plan looks superb to me. You can trust my opinion, I graduated from welding school. :D

I'm sorry but I think the people on this forum who have successfully done this, as well as you who are successfully doing it, know better what's good for you than a PA. If you look at how many hours of nutrition training doctors get, I can tell you it's not very many, and that most of us have exceeded those hours of study on our own.

I've been to nutritionists, none of whom could answer why when my BMR was 1700, was I not losing weight on 1200, 100, or 800 calories (BMR, not even TDEE!) To them, a calorie is a calorie and calories in equal calories out. It's old knowledge and old thinking.

You're doing something, it's working. I agree, screw what she has to say and keep on keeping on.

and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thanks Everyone and Gman..I agree with you. I am perfectly happy with what and how I am eating, I am still losing weight and my bloodwork is spectacular. I just hate this one size fits all approach she was trying to give me and make me feel as if I am doing it all wrong. I seriously felt like I was in grade school being lectured and I hated that feeling.

I love you all! Which I don't say often enough :)

I am very lucky that my NUT has some sense and practices what she preaches!