Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your breaking point?

At the beginning of the school year, they always take pictures of each grade level team and hang the pictures in the front of the building so that when parents and students arrive on the first day, they know what we all look like. I remember I turned to the side and sucked everything in thinking I had successfully tricked the camera into me looking slim.

WELL...when the pictures were posted a couple days later, I was mortified. I looked (for lack of better words) like a sausage stuffed in a casing 3 sizes too small. My eyes were sunken into my fat and even though I'm wearing a relatively loose shirt, you can see EACH AND EVERY roll clearly through the fabric. My upper arms are thick and meatly and my entire forearm is so fat that my bracelet's don't fall down to the bottom of my wrist, but sit comfortable held up by fat three inches from the start of my hand.

For the first time I saw myself as the rest of the world did...FAT. And it hurt. Everyday from Sept - October, I had to look at that picture of myself each time I came into the building. On Oct. 31, I couldn't take it anymore and made an appointment to attend a WLS open house. And the rest, is history. :-)

For me, I have consistantly gained wait for the past 16 years up to my highest of 272. In February we adopted my son from foster care. In March we were told our son has a biological sister that will be adoptable this summer. I called my parents to tell them how excited I was that we might be getting a baby girl. The first thing my usually very loving father said was "please tell me you are not getting another child, you are too fat to take care of two children". i about fainted and cried for 2 days.

At that point, although what my father said was cruel, he was pretty much correct. If I was going to be the mother I wanted to be and that my child(ren) needed, I needed to do something serious. At that point I started researching WLS and am now planning on doing the sleeve. I WILL see my children graduate, get married, etc. I will live for them!

My AHA moment was on vacation in NYC at Christmas. However, it built up over several years. Pain, Fibro. sleep apnea, pre diabetic, couldn't walk, broken foot, cane. Tried every diet being good losing regaining for years. Thyroid issues and more. Then the first family vacation trip with my young adult children and I couldn't keep up. It slowed them down, cut back on our fun and I was constantly tired and sleep deprived. My husband has been the best supporter. Then I had my first grandson. Best decision I ever made and wish I had done so years ago. Not easy, but OMG I feel like a different person. 50 lbs down after 3 months about 30 more to go to be 175 at 5'8.

My breaking point was this year at Disney Land when I couldn't fit through the ride entrance. I felt so embarrassed ,and the worst part was when I had to ask for a seatbelt extender on my flight. My goal is to go back to Disney and ride all the rides with my girls :)

My latest moment was at my grandma birthday celebration this past summer 2014..... Our family had identical shirts made and mine was a 2X, when I put it on the day of, it was too tight along with my too tight stretch pants! The kicker was when the photographer posted and tagged me AND everyone that was in the same pictures with me on facebook! I was horrified! My rear end looked like a wide load truck! I looked uncomfortably stuffed and you could see EVERY roll even what I didn't know that I had! Since my substantial weight gain, no one on FB had seen a full body shot of me! The only thing that I could do was untag myself:( I'm scheduled to have my life changing experience (VSG) September 26, 2014

Edited by waitingtoexhale

After years of fighting with food and yo yoing all over I got serious about exercise and nutrition. For 6 months I walked 10-12k steps a day and ate 1200 or fewer calories. Didn't lose an oz. went to the doctor and said enough is enough.

April 20, 2013 I attended my cousin's Catholic wedding. This meant kneeling. I knelt for maybe 15 minutes, and it was excruciating. 2 weeks later I was still in pain and had to see a doctor and get x-rays. Turns out I had a floating patella, and me knee-cap was off its track. The podiatrist said I needed physical therapy, and if that didn't resolve the issue, possibly surgery. At 25 years old! My body and joints were starting to fail under my weight. I had high blood pressure, Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome, and was prediabeitc. I felt trapped on a terrible unhealthy track, and now surgery was in my immanent future. Something had to derail me, and if surgery was in my future, I decided on one that addressed my underlying problems.

My co-morbidities are all resolved, I exercise 5 days a week, I've reached my goal, and I'm looking ahead to a vibrant future.

Edited by Ava324

I have always been chubby, after my 1st child I maintained my weight while pregnant with my 2nd I got up to 260, I went on weight watchers and worked out like crazy basically starving myself and lost 77lbs in 3 months. I got pregnant with number 3 and gained all the weight back. I just don't have the energy. I am young and I want to be able to run around and keep up with my kids. My husband is very active and outdoorsy and I want to be able to share that with him. He has never been negative about my weight, he has always tried to encourage me to eat right and work out. I want to live a long happy healthy life insha Allah

My husband became increasingly emotionally abusive over our 23 year marriage, and I ate and ate and ate. Over the last three years he turned his rage against our teen daughters as well. I ate some more. In 2013, I realized that I had to get out of my food fog and take control of my life. Not just for me but for them. I wasn't going to wait until the abuse turned physical. I began the WLS process. Six months later I was banded. Life at home got worse, but I started getting better. Three months later I moved out with my adult daughters and filed for divorce. It took the tool of WLS to put down my food. Everything else followed.

It's only just begun. But my health improving changed everything. My life is worth saving. I didn't feel that before.

Until I was able to put the food down, I couldn't change my daily existence of eating, working and sleeping, no matter how bad it got. Even when he made life hell for my kids. And I was unable to put the food down without WLS.

I'm a food addict. I will always want to reach for food when I'm stressed. I still do. But now I go to two 12-step groups (OA, CODA) and am learning to live life without excess food.

I've lost over a hundred pounds so far, kicked a dozen prescription and OTC meds, got rid of back and most knee pain, sleep through the night, am taking care of some other medical issues I was too ashamed to address before, and look forward to the future.

And I've set a good example for my daughters. Finally.

1) when I had the money saved up for the surgery, since my insurance wouldn't cover it.

2) I always said when I had some sort of health issue that would be it, I got Dx with high blood pressure and set up the appointment the next day

Having to start Blood Pressure meds and being told I was Diabetic. Enough