Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery has been approved by my insurance...now its time to roll up my sleeves (pun intended o_O)

I have received my insurance approval..for some reason I thought that everything would magically fall into place, but I am starting to get fearful & overwhelmed. Anyone got any good advice for staying calm and not over thinking the process? I watch YouTube videos and get either very excited or very afraid, but I need to prepare myself as I am a analytical person who likes fact...my MD office has several tests, visits set up for me as I begin this journey to my surgery date. But I want to interact with those REAL HONEST PEOPLE who have blazed this trail before me and those who are embarking upon it at the same time...SO WHO'S GOT HELP?

I understand exactly how you are feeling! I was down right afraid ---- TO DIE! Well, obviously I was over-reacting because here I am! I am 17 days in and can HONESTLY say that I am completely happy that I did it. The surgery only took about an hour and within moments of waking up, I was drinking my Protein and walking within a few hours.

This is going to be a positive journey in your life so you should have no reservations about it. Just focus on the long-term outcome! :)

I'm 31 days out, and I can tell you I would do it again tomorrow in a heartbeat. My only regret is not doing this sooner. I'm not obsessed with food anymore...and I've lost 30 lbs. When you start to get psyched out, think about why you're doing it and how great you'll look...and it will be faster than you know it. All these medical tests lined up are for a reason...and while no one loves it, it's just part of the process. Sit back, relax, and imagine your skinny self. Plan to feel lousy for a couple days...that's just the reality of it, but every day is better than the one before, and before you know it, you're better than you've felt in years. Small price to pay...

Thank you so much for sharing your journey...I have a few more diagnostic tests that I have to have done and then I can get my surgery date. My insurance makes me pay a very high copay so I am a little stressed about that,but this surgery is going to save my life. I am only 215 &5'3" buy I hsvr high blood pressure, uncontrolled type 2 diabetes (insulin dependant) and I take 10 pills every day. So I figure the copy will pay for itself eventually when I no longer have to pay so much for ny healthcare. I would love to hear more of your journey, but I hsvr to admit I'm not so technology savy. So it took me 2 months to respond to you. I'm using an app on my phone,so I may have to go to the desktop to get a better handle. Again thank you for your encouragement and for sharing your journey. Good bless

Ha! No worries on the technology, you'll get it. Glad to hear your process is moving along. I know the financials can be daunting...but keep in mind, you'll save a ton on food, and yes, on meds, as you drop weight and get healthy. My journey is going well...39 lbs down in not quite 2 months. I think I'm at week 7. Weight loss has definitely slowed down, but still steady. Few pounds away from the 100s. My next few weeks will be interesting...I leave for a business trip to India this week, am there for 10 days, then a month from today I leave for Italy for a getaway with my husband. I'm not having any major issues with food...I've tried bread once or twice and that gave me a kind of crampy feeling, so I'm avoiding that. Otherwise, I've not had any issues. Grilled fish seems to go well, I've had pulled pork, cheeses, yogurts, baked Beans, Soup (chili and others) baked potatoes, eggs, hummus, cottage cheese, deli turkey and ham. Obviously, very small portions of all of these foods...and slow...but so far, no major issues. For Breakfast, I'm usually hustling out the door, so I usually grab 2 oz. of cheese and eat it on the way. At lunch, 2 oz. of yogurt or something like that. At night, I usually try to eat a couple of bites of what my family is eating. The other night, that was tacos; so I had a small spoon of taco meat sprinkled with some cheese and a few toppings, a couple tomatoes and some shredded lettuce. I drink Protein Shakes most days, although some days I'm just not in the mood; I figure as long as I get them in most days, I'm good. So all's well...no regrets, and no problems. Keep focusing on the future, and let your fears go. You'll be fine, and be on your way before you know it.

sse----> THANK YOU SO MUCH! Stories like yours are of great encouragement to me. First let me say to you, what an awesome blessing it must be to travel the world. I have only left the country a handful of times (once to the Bahamas and 3 times to Canada). It is my greatest desire to one day travel to Europe. I really appreciate you sharing your WLS journey will this forum and myself. It means so much to hear from people who have gone through the fire so to speak. I will continue to follow your journey and am very excited for you and your progress. As soon as I have a surgery date, I will let you know and selfishly elicit your prayers :) . Again thank you for taking the time out of your own personal journey to reach back and help those of us who are just getting on our way! May God continue to bless you in all your endeavors!

My surgery was 11 days ago and I am so glad that I did it. The process seems intimidating, but the end results are so worth it!!

My surgery was 11 days ago and I am so glad that I did it. The process seems intimidating' date=' but the end results are so worth it!![/quote']

How long are you planning on being out of work?i have my last appt with my dr. And going to set the date.

How long are you planning on being out of work?i have my last appt with my dr. And going to set the date.

I am a stay home mom, so I went back to work 3 days after surgery. LOL

Haha' date=' as soon as you walk in the door from the hospital right? Lol[/quote']

Pretty much!! Thankfully, my youngest is 12, so she is pretty self-sufficient.

I am a stay home mom, so time off was not existent. I made it easier on myself by making and freezing meals for my hubby and daughter.

My doctor wrote me a note for 3 weeks! I wish!! LOL

I'm a director in IT. My job is very sedentary, but can be stressful. I had surgery on Thursday at 8am, out of the hospital Friday night. I was back at work full time on Monday.

I'm a director in IT. My job is very sedentary' date=' but can be stressful. I had surgery on Thursday at 8am, out of the hospital Friday night. I was back at work full time on Monday.[/quote']

U weren't sore and wiped out? How did u keep up with the Water sipping and pain issues? Truly impressive

My only post-surgery issue was a wicked rash with my incisions. Got some steroids and antibiotics and I was good to go. I've not missed any work, nor had any issues with food, so yes, I've been lucky. All's well...