Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Women of Color...

I am wondering how the African American and other folks of color are doing post-op as far as scarring and/or keloids?? I look at pics posted by some of our caucasion counterparts and amazed how well some of their skin heals....can hardly even tell some had incisions...

I have always scarred bad... I have 5 incisions from VSG and 2 look really bad...one has a small keloid, all of my incisions are very dark even a year post-op ( I am kinda light-brown skinned....about Jada Pinkett's or Kelis' complexion)

I plan on getting chemical peels or something to help remove the hyper pigmentation because I surely do not want to remain like this...

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm Latin of Cuban heritage, light skin but can tan very dark in the summer. My skin scars too. What has always worked for me is silicone badges; it works! Do some research online, its very popular with plastic surgery patients. Tell me what you think. And don't forget the coco butter that helps too. Take care.

I'm white as white can be and when I have ANY cut or skin laceration it takes FOREVER to go away and I scar. Well first its red forever. I have a cut on my arm that my cat gave me and no joke it stated red for a year and left a permanent mark and it was just a surface cut. I will probably have incision marks forever honestly.

I think those who healed up nice and quickly are using witchcraft or its just plain genetics. lol

voguue, I am not a woman of color unless you want to count the bazillion freckles I have. My complexion is light that 5 min in the sun and I look like a boiled crawfish LOL. However, I do not scar well at all, it is terrible! My scares are not exactly keloid but rather what they call hypertrophic. I have a long abdominal scar that is about 3/4 of an inch wide and still after twelve yrs. has never faded. I also have a scar under my arm from shoulder surgery that faded but is very puffy. I never used maderma, but from what I understand, it is suppose to help with even old scars. I may give it a try but I seriously doubt it will do a lot for this one on my stomach that as a friend of mine put it "looks like I was cut open with a chainsaw" Oh well I guess i cant have everything. :)

Hello Vogue,

I am a woman of color and like you, I did keloid a bit. Of my five scars, the two smallest scars did keloid, while the larger scars did not. I am actually thankful for that. I plan to just use Vitamin E, and scar reducing meds to diminish the keloids as much as possible. But I am pleased overall with the scarring.

Yes I scarred bad... Very dark at first, now the actual incision is light and raised with dark around it. Not as bad as I thought, but no hiding them and no bikini ever. I have tons of stretch marks and acne scars anyway...

I am almost 8 months post op...Hawaiian/Filipino ancestry. My incision scars are still pretty dark. They have lightened up a little bit, but not much. I'm not worried though as I will probably never be showing my tummy to anyone, but my husband and doctor. :)

I am wondering how the African American and other folks of color are doing post-op as far as scarring and/or keloids?? I look at pics posted by some of our caucasion counterparts and amazed how well some of their skin heals....can hardly even tell some had incisions...

I have always scarred bad... I have 5 incisions from VSG and 2 look really bad...one has a small keloid' date=' all of my incisions are very dark even a year post-op ( I am kinda light-brown skinned....about Jada Pinkett's or Kelis' complexion)

I plan on getting chemical peels or something to help remove the hyper pigmentation because I surely do not want to remain like this...

Anyone else have this problem?[/quote']

There is also an African American forum where you might want to post this question.

I am clearly not a woman of color but I do have about an inch and a half scar on my chest from a year ago from where a small skin cancer was removed. It did turn into a keloid which the Dermatologist said is where the skin over heals. He told me to massage the incision several times a day. He said the Mederma only works when you put it on all day because you are basically just massaging the area. A year out now and it is still darker in color but it has mostly flatened out. It started in the middle and is now working its way to the sides. He said if I wanted to, he could inject it with cortisone which would reduce the inflammation. I haven't had the sleeve surgery yet but last year I had the gallbladder removed and those 3 little incisions are not even visible. If the keloids bother you or are just unsightly to you, you can go to a dermatologist and see if they will inject it with cortisone.