Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all sleevers with desk jobs....

I know this question has been asked by so many others in the past, but now i am going to ask it.

(i do not have a surgery date yet, im hoping for october) but how long should i take off work? I am a book keeper so i am sitting most of the time but i do some lifting (such as boxes of rolled coins)

Originally i thought of taking 4 to 6 weeks off b/c i am entitled to 60% of my pay during this time. but im wondering if i really need that much time and honestly i am not sure that i can afford to give up 40% of my pay for that long. is it safe just to maybe take 2 weeks vacation time and then come back and perhaps just ask for help for the lifting portions?

Any input is appreciated! thanks all!

I work in Accounting and sit at a disk all day long, too. I had my surgery the day after Christmas, 12/26/12, and I returned to work the next week, on 1/2/13. I asked for help moving anything that was more than 10 pounds. The sooner you are up, moving, walking, and getting back to a normal routine, the quicker you will heal. Every person deals with pain and getting over surgery differently, so definitely take as much time as you need. But, sitting at my desk was not any worse than sitting at home on the couch. I could not afford to stay out any longer than I did----I only had 3 sick days, so I didn't have a choice; I had to get back to work. In the worst case scenario, for a desk job, I recommend going back to work in less than 2 weeks. Again, it all depends on how quickly you recover. Take care of yourself first and foremost. Best wishes to you!!

I was off for two weeks. I could have gone back after a week but I was also on mternity leave and I had two weeks left of it after I had surgery. It was nice to be back to eating some regular food when I came back to work. I was off of full liquids by then. Anyway, I would take two weeks and then ask for help with the lifting. I think you'll be good.

I also have an office job. I was sleeved on a Tuesday and was back at work the next Monday. I had a very easy recovery and felt strong enough to go back. I also work pretty close to home and only had to drive on local roads a short distance. I recognize that my reflexes were not 100% so I don't know that I would have been comfortable driving long distances on highways initially.

I also did not lift anything over 10lbs. for 6 weeks. or reach for anything where I had to stretch. I was a little more tired than normal for the first few days but otherwise ok. I did make sure to get up and walk around at least every hour.

Good luck!!

I work at an insurance company, at a desk... Had surgery on a Wednesday and returned to work the following Monday. I'm happy with my choice. I can't imagine re-establishing routines after being home for 4-6 weeks post op. heck, I'd still be home!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I had surgery on a Monday, and work at a desk job, was back in the office on Thursday, just sipping away, and I worked 2 half days that week and then the next week I was good to go and I had a full week in the office.

I probably could have gone back earlier. They gave me 3 weeks and I used the extra time to get up and move around a little. I also think I would have been exhausted after a day at work if I would have gone back early, but I could have done it.

I also have a desk job. My surgery was on Friday and I was back to work the following Wednesday. I worked half days Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, but was full time that following Monday. Never had a problem. Brought my Protein Shakes (premier) to work. I could sip and walk just as easy at work as I can at home.

My surgeon has already cleared with me to be off one week. ( I don't have a date yet either) He said that as long as there are no complications, that I am healing well and I can tolerate any pain without being a zombie on drugs I can go back to work. ( I am in accounting) I do plan to have someone help me with my daughter and my dogs for a little while, but sitting on my butt I can do either at a desk or at home! LOL

I had surgery on Thursday and went back to work on Monday. My husband drove me and I have a private office where I can shut the door and lay down for a bit during the day and I did do that a little during the first few days. I think I was back up to par in about a week.

Desk job here, IT to be specific. Surgery on a Wednesday back to work from Home the following Monday for 1 week. I had to go in to the office mid week for a "crisis" and could have stayed the balance of the week but I took advantage of the working from home for a few more days. For most I would think the 2 weeks would be more than enough.

I had my surgery on Wednesday and was back at my desk the following Wednesday!

Good Luck!

I would say, honestly, if you can take 3-4 weeks off and can maybe budget some money in beforehand to lessen the hit of the cut in pay, do so. What we can do, physically, at certain time, does not reflect the cost we may pay later. You will be mega stressed going into the surgery date, then possibly in pain, possibly not do so well, possibly just need to get back into your skin before you jump back into the world. Take the extra week. heal. walk. read, sleep.

Thing is, there is a gap in 'acceptable' and and 'optimal' for how to treat your body when it needs to heal. I dislike the near-myth status it has gained that just everyone, cut out your stomach, fill your body to overflowing with gas, and go about your regular stressful routine as fast as you can. If you have to, if it is that or nothing, then honestly roll the dice in my opinion. I was the walking dead before my surgery, so I would do it again even with the complications I had.

No offense to anyone, but almost everyone I know that has jumped in quick has felt it.Yes, I did too. I did not go back to work (my Mom passed away the day before I was due to go back to work, a week after my surgery) but I had to deal with the real world all to soon, which led to some complications that I fell very certain more rest and such would have at least minimalized.

Not trying to be a pooper, really!

I have a desk job and I took 3 weeks off. Realistically, I could have gone back after 2 but I'm glad I had the time. Luckily, my leave was paid at 100% so I just enjoyed that 3rd week off. Best of luck to you!

My doctor told me 2-3 weeks... I am comtemplating using the whole 3 weeks. I also hope to have surgery in October. I have sick time saved, so I might as well use it. THanks for asking this question - it's good to get other's perspectives.