Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At least that's how I feel right now. I am on day 6 of my pre-op "warm up" diet. I am only supposed to do it for a week, but I started early because my BMI is borderline for 2 weeks, just cutting carbs and sugar. I suck at it. My hores are moaning and I am so PMSy and hungry. I've made some good decisions and done better than usual, but I am still eating too often and too large of portions of the "allowable" foods. This is why I'm in terrible shape to begin -- if I could diet and stick to it, I wouldn't need surgery daggumit. I start the REAL diet, two Protein Shakes and a light supper of chicken and salad, on Tuesday. I'm feeling out of control and hopeless about sticking to it. I get almost frantic with hunger, and everyone said it would get better, but it is not. I'm so discouraged. AND ready to gnaw on anything in sight. Hungry now and can't relax to sleep. How do you people DO it? I have so much respect for those who are doing it and doing it well. You guys rock my socks. I hope some of your willpower wears off on me.

The Pre op diet is the hardest. I had to take Tylenol a lot to combat the headaches, etc. but I want to encourage you because it doesn't last long and AFTER during post op it's actually much easier because your stomach is smaller and you can't (don't want to) eat as much!!

You have a day. I'm sure you'd be fine blowing it off Monday and then going back to it Tuesday following it to the T. After all, that's already the doctor's orders. :)

Well, if you have had trouble dieting in the past, why would you try to do it longer than your doctor requires? That is just setting yourself up for failure. One week was doable for me. I got bad headaches around the 2nd or 3rd day, probably from detoxing from sugar, but once I got through them it was fine.

I was on a special Liquid Protein drink for 2 weeks before my sleeve.....4 shakes a day and Water that was it...No dinner entree or anything else...This is standard for my surgeon....I was painful to say the least..But I knew why I was doing it and so I did it.....I was really proud of myself.....oh I had to do it twice by the way because they had an emergency and cancelled my first surgery...What fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Daddy, I have gained about five lbs since scheduling the surgery two months ago, and really am right on the edge of having to do a two week pre-op diet. I figured it was in my best interest to slowly wean myself off the things I don't need, so I stopped caffeine about the same time I scheduled the surgery. No problem there. These past six days, I tried to let go of sugar, increase Protein, and cut portions. I cut my portions, get hungry two hours later, and eat a Protein Bar or a shake that probably should be my entire meal. I'm sorry to be whiny. I am going to suck it up and try again tomorrow. Maybe going to work will keep my mind off being hungry most of the day. Thanks for your kindness, those who posted.

I find drink hot tea and going on a walk helps. If you are eating larger portions now that is okay as long as you are eating the right things. I am a month out from surgery and am doing the same thing you are. I have cut caffeine, increased my Protein, cut out the sugar. I am not super strict on it. But I will have to buckle down once I start my two week pre op diet. So make some changes, don't beat yourself up. And as long as you are following doctors orders you will be fine.

I felt the same way. I think it is normal, the whole deal with the sleeve that people don't mention too much is that, for me, at least, the physical prep was pretty easy. But mentally it is hard, it still is. I went to the Padres v. Mets game last night was surrounded by everything good.

My secret weapon . . . a hard boiled egg. It is not as good a hot dog wrapped in bacon and a pint of whatever you like served at 34 degrees, but it fills your stomach and anymore than that will be punishing.

Pre-op was hard, no denying it, it is hard and that's all there is too it. But I would try the hard boiled egg trick, I used to carry 3 of them. I also liked to add in licorice tea . . . if you like black licorice you'll love the tea.

My pre-op was a lot of Protein shakes. Post-op, I stocked up on all the same Protein Shakes that I drank getting ready for my surgery. My surgery though also snipped my sniffer and I simply hate the smell of a Protein shake and I cannot drink it.

My guess is that if you get through now, and make it to post-op day 4 or 5, you will really be very happy with yourself. I assure it gets easier, quickly. Now the hard part is trying to eat enough . . . ah skinny people problems!

Well, I didn't let myself think that I couldn't do it. Not doing it wasn't an option, as far as I was concerned. I know people who didn't even do the pre op diet, and went out to Red Lobster the night before surgery. Needless to say, these people have not done too well with the surgery, because they obviously weren't prepared mentally to do the things they needed to do to make it work.

Just wanted to chime in. I have posted very honestly on my blog about my cheating on the pre-op diet, the food funerals I had before the pre-op diet, and whether my inability to stick with pre-op diet meant that I'm not ready for this surgery. I have come to some peace. Many on this board have said they stuck with the pre-op diet to a "T." Others on here will suggest that if you can't stick with pre-op, you are less likely to be successful at post-op. For me, this surgery is a must - my BMI is 35, I have significant comorbidities (PCOS, high cholesterol, knee problems, sleep apnea). So I just have to have faith that I CAN DO THIS even though I didn't do the pre-op diet perfectly and, when I did do it perfectly, I felt like a crazy woman. As you said, if we didn't have food issues, we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. As a practical matter, here is what I did for those crazy "I can't do this moments." First, I stopped beating the absolute hell out of myself for being so pathetic. Then, I started looking at the reasons I was so out of control and why I cheated. I tried not to find excuses, but rather get to the bottom of what was sending me off the proverbial wagon so that I could save myself next time. What I found was that I've not nearly given myself enough "room" during this prep period. I have been so worried about not working AFTER surgery that I've been pushing myself harder now. That hasn't worked for me. The truth is that when I stick with the pre-op diet, it is like a true detox and it causes fatigue, headaches, crankiness. Add on surgery pre-jitters and it is a perfect recipe for my disasters. So.... trying to find my way into the solution, I came up with this resolution:

1. Next time I want to go off the diet, I will post a plea for help on this board;

2. I will drink a glass of crystal light or Water or something else to buy myself some time before I eat.

3. I will write down 3 reasons I am having this surgery.

4. I will try to get by with as little as I have to do until surgery. In other words, I won't kill myself at work, cleaning the house, chasing the kids, etc.

For me, it is important to have "action" items. I am hopeful that these action items will help next time I'm tempted. I only have three more days til surgery. Surely I can suck it up and do that.... And I believe you can do it too! Keep the faith and remind yourself why you are doing this in the first place.

Best of luck to you!

I came up with this resolution:

1. Next time I want to go off the diet, I will post a plea for help on this board;

2. I will drink a glass of crystal light or Water or something else to buy myself some time before I eat.

3. I will write down 3 reasons I am having this surgery.

4. I will try to get by with as little as I have to do until surgery. In other words, I won't kill myself at work, cleaning the house, chasing the kids, etc.

This is really great advice. Thank you for understanding and having good, reasonable ideas.

I like to eat a sugar free popsicle or Jello if I. Get too hungry....kind of a mind screw but it works for me.

You can do it. You really can. The first step, in my opinion, is when you are able and willing to truly remove the word "can't" and honestly acknowledge the correct word is "won't".

The first big step is owning your choices. Every time you find yourself straying or wanting to stray remind yourself you are choosing to deviate. You are choosing to eat too much. Make bad choices. How on earth can we be successful if we aren't accountable?

You can do it. Now, do it.

post-39617-13813668990057_thumb.jpg

post-39617-13813668990996_thumb.jpg

post-39617-13813668991442_thumb.jpg

You can do anything YOU decide you can do. Although I don't know you, I know you CAN do this!!!

Really, if you decide, you could probably put up with a LOT for only a couple weeks? For me, the pre-op diet came down to a meal by meal decision. Be uncomfortable and stick with it or fail (again) only a short time before surgery?

Decide you are going to KICK A$$ at this VSG thing! All the weight you lose now counts and is step closer to your goal weight.

I've lost almost 70 lbs and there are still some days where it is a meal-by-meal decision to stick with it.

You CAN do this! We are here rooting for you...keep us updated on how you are putting the beat down on the pre-op diet! If you need an accountability partner, you got one! Are you using myFitnessPal? If so, add me as a friend and I would even do just shakes for a couple weeks in solidarity with you! My ID there is Hoosier_Fatty. GOOD LUCK!

I am on day 2 of the pre-op diet. I'm having surgery on the 28th with Dr. Garcia. I woke up HUNGRY this morning, with a terrible headache, and down 3lbs.

I took 2 Tylenol, drank some Water, when I got to work, INHALED my first Protein shake, and started thinking about why I am doing this. I want to be here to watch my grandkids grow up and I want to feel good about my own body. I want to be able to cross my legs, I want to walk up a flight of stairs without running out of breath. There are countless other reasons...

Chickadee, WE CAN do this!!!! :)