Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bigger than the rest....

I know you weren't asking me' date=' but if I may butt in again.....I've only lost 30 lbs & I have already been taken off my diabetes meds & the knee that needs replacing is hurting me a lot less! So for me, there was a health improvement after only 30 lbs...imagine at 70 or more! [/quote']

Hey I will take any info I can get lol. That is awesome! I have arthritis in both my knees bc of old injuries. That's one of the many reason i want this. If I can't hardly walk at 28 what will 40 bring? I find a new reason every day to move forward. Thank you for answering! :)

I am one year, two months and sixteen days pre-op, I started at 275 and now I'm down to 150. I have about 20 pounds to go till goal and I'm struggling with a hard stall. When I went though the surgery I never could have Imaged myself a size 12 / 150 pounds, it was inconceivable. This has been the hardest/best thing I have ever done. Changing how I eat, exercising everyday, and really focusing on the hows and whys of what got me here in the first place.

I have to say if I could go back and do it all over again, I would plan. I would set goals and have a real exerciser plan in place. I exercise daily, but when I started out I had no Idea what I was doing and felt so lost. So If I can share just one thing with you, have a real plan in place for daily/weekly exercise, this above everything else in my opinion will get you to your final goal.

I am one year' date=' two months and sixteen days pre-op, I started at 275 and now I'm down to 150. I have about 20 pounds to go till goal and I'm struggling with a hard stall. When I went though the surgery I never could have Imaged myself a size 12 / 150 pounds, it was inconceivable. This has been the hardest/best thing I have ever done. Changing how I eat, exercising everyday, and really focusing on the hows and whys of what got me here in the first place.

I have to say if I could go back and do it all over again, I would plan. I would set goals and have a real exerciser plan in place. I exercise daily, but when I started out I had no Idea what I was doing and felt so lost. So If I can share just one thing with you, have a real plan in place for daily/weekly exercise, this above everything else in my opinion will get you to your final goal.[/quote']

Thanks for the advice. Planning is not a problem for me. Lol. I'm a little OCD about it.

Hi there,

I to am one of the larger people on the site. I don't even know what my top weight was because no scale worked for me. But after losing some my first weigh in with a scale that did was 490. I lost some more weight since then, but when I had surgery on July 10 I was 437. I can't tell you how much I have lost yet because still no scale in my home. I will find out my initial loss at my post op check up in the next few weeks. I can't answer if you will loss it all. From what I see on this site, it seems to me that mostly the larger guys get all the way there. While I would like to loss it all, I need to say that even if I only lost 200 lbs life would be so much more liveable. Everything in my life seems to revolve around the weight. I am scared to go new places- after all I don't know what the seating or bathrooms are like. I am so tired of this. So, getting a lot of loss is going to be acceptable. Getting to goal would be fantastic. If I can use this surgery and remake my food relationships I believe that over time I can continue the downward trend.

If you have any questions or would like to talk with me just pm me.

Many blessings

Hi in whatever you decide I wish you the best, listen to what your body is telling you, I did my surgery because I know myself and I spiraled out of control and did not want to expand one more inch! I couldnt. I feel great, losing 50 lbs has made my brain more alert. I am tired alot but I think its low cal lack of Vitamins stuff like that, but before I had to take a bunch of naps during the day no energy nothing, but now its changed im normal functioning lol best of luck to you, and yes I agree this is my safe place too.

So I haven't had my surgery yet but I'm posting this on the post op thread bc I want to hear from those of you that have. I have spent a lot of time on this site and while it has really helped me put some of my fears behind me' date=' I still have this one major one that is lurking around in my head driving me crazy. Most of the post I have read seems that people are a lot smaller than me. They do great after surgery and have no trouble reaching their goals. I am 518 lbs and 5'9. I have been over weight my entire life but this is my heaviest. I have tried many different diets and I'm always able to loose but then I hit a snag and then usually gain all of it back. I'm dedicated to this decision and have a really good support system. My husband, family, and close friends are all in my corner 100%! I'm 28 years and I still have tons of things I want to do before I leave this earth. If I don't do something that will not happen. So my concern is with me being as heavy as I am is it possible to get to goal. I'm terrified of having the surgery and loosing 100 or even 200lbs and then not being able to loose anymore. I understand the major changes I have to make and I'm on bored. I just don't want to go through this and still be morbidly obese. Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

BTW I'm terrified that I have actually put my weight on here, but I feel safe here. Hopefully that's the case.[/quote']

U can do it!!!!! Any amount of weight loss will improve your health .......staying the way u r is not good....u will continue too lose get to ur goal as long as u follow doctors orders along w your own will power later..you gotta really want to do this.. Remember this is only a tool not a cure.

I think a lot depends on your commitment to your lifestyle change and support network. For me I kinda looked at my surgery as a last chance. I was a band to sleeve revision although I waited 13 months after having my band removed. Today I'm exactly 6 months post op. I haven't weighed today yet but I'm hoping to have achieved my 100lbs loss. I was 397lbs on the morning of my op. What I can say is this has been an amazing journey and there are a lot of people on the forums who provide fantastic support to others. Personally, I wouldn't let the figures or stats worry me too much. Grab the bull with both horns and good luck.

My highest weight was 404, I'm 5' 8" I lost some weight over the years. My weight when I started my pre-op diet on 4/4/13 was 357. I am now 287 & I just went to Chicago & I had the vacation I wouldn't have been able to have a year ago. Lots of walking, a speedboat ride, shopping. I still have a long way to go but my life has already improved!

This is inspiring! See that is what I was wondering. I don't know how much ill have to loose in order to start to feel better. Not about my appearance' date=' but with my health? Can you tell a difference after 70lbs?[/quote']

Boy can I! I don't huff and puff walking around, I can do a flight of stairs without dieing at the landing. My husband notices how much more active I am in all aspects of our life ;). I have always been very self confident and didn't let my weight affect me, so I can speak as some have about the confidence boost, but I am happy with the start to my journey and am excited to see where it will take me. I started feeling better around 30lbs lost, started feeling "normal" and had the desire to get more active at that point.

I hope my story can help you feel confident about your decision.

I think you'll do great. I was sleeved on May 22. I started off at 373. Today I'm 295.

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and for sharing your success stories with me. Hearing about all these positive things that you all are experiencing really gives me hope and reassures me that this is the right decision.

I think some others touched on this too but keep in mind that any loss is improving your health. My goal weight is still not in the normal range but my PCP agrees that it would be a good weight for me. I'm not going for skinny, just healthy. The overall picture is you will feel better and improve your health. Best of luck to you on your journey, we are all rooting for you.

I started at 451. I was 409 before surgery an am now 397 2 weeks post op. i started to really feel better after 30 pounds down. At over 500, I think the sleeve will change your life even if you only lose 200 pounds. BUT, they say the average amount of weight lost in the first 18 months is 60% of the weight you need to lose. At about my height, for you that would be 220 lbs. Only about 60% of people reach their goal weight but even if you get below 300 you will feel AMAZING! PS: we always get discouraged when we jave so much to lose and we lose a bunch and still have so much to lose, I have so been there, but Celebrate every pound that comes off instead and follow the plan and don't think about what still has to come off. It is a new way pf thinking my counselor is trying to help me adopt. Good luck!!! I wish you many pounds lost!