Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you go back to work?

I work 12 hour hospital shifts and being an RRT, I have no scheduled breaks. I am on my feet for a lot of the time.

I am scheduled for surgery on September 10 and have taken 6 shifts of vacation for the recovery period. I am scheduled to work a night shift September 23 but I might call in sick (I did not tell my work about the surgery so my coworkers will be alarmed at me taking a sick day after 2 weeks vacation...). In that case my next shift will be September 29. That's 19 days of recovery.

Do you think this is enough time?

What kind of work do you do and how soon did you go back to work after your surgery? Did you think you needed more time to recover than you allowed yourself?

I am a paramedic/supervisor, I had surgery on December 10, 2012 and went back to work on December 26th, I felt I could have went back on the 23rd but my work week runs from Wednesday to Saturday anyhow so I just fell into that, plus that way I went back after Christmas. Fortunately was not very busy my first couple shifts back but I think I would have been ok anyhow.

I only have a week off, not by choice. I teach at a university and school started Aug 19. If I didn't have surgery Aug 12, I would have had to wait until December break and resubmit all my insurance stuff and redo all the preop tests. Day 4 I'm feeling better, but so tired.

I am an ultrasound technologist working in a hospital. I needed 7 weeks off work. I caught an upper respiratory infection in the hospital that set my healing back by 2 weeks. At week 3 I was fighting dehydration and vertigo. I was a rocky recovery road for me, there is no way I could have done my job and dealt with patients before the 6 week mark.

In 2012 I had my GB removed and I went back to work in 5 days.

I read about people on this site that jump back into work very quickly, and I am happy for them, but there are also many who have a longer recovery journey. Only you and your doctor can determine how much time you should anticipate needing, I wanted to give you my personal reality, hopefully you will heal much faster!

Our surgery date is the same :)

I am only taking 3 weeks off work but I work in an office where I sit most of my day. You should be okay, my surgeon told us in the initial consultation that he has had patients get the surgery on a Thursday and they were back to work the following Monday.

My surgeon wants everyone to take 30 days off. I could have easily went back after a few days but to be honest, the learning of what foods to eat, what to make, what works and what doesnt is essential. I have a comfy computer job (Robotic Engineer) for Toyota and felt I needed to take the full amount. However everyones insurance isnt the same. I used short term disability. Some might not have that option.

I had an easy surgery on 5/22; no complications. Nausea but no real pain. I have a desk job, and I felt I could have come back after a week. But I didn't come back until 6/3, so that's 12 calendar days. Once back I noticed I got exhausted easily and my thinking was a little fuzzy. No discomfort, I was just not 100% me. I would liken it to going to work with a headcold. Just felt a little out of it. I also noticed that I was more clumsy than usual...my VST friends here chimed in and said that is yet another side effect of ketosis. So, if you're in healthcare & need to be "quick", the fuzzy thinking and clumsiness is something you might want to be aware of. For me, sitting in front of my computer, it didn't matter so much.

I work for an airline. I'm on my feet all day, high stress and sometimes don't get breaks. I went back after two weeks off and it was fine. Just was tired the first couple of days. After I went back I felt much better.

I work 12 hour hospital shifts and being an RRT' date=' I have no scheduled breaks. I am on my feet for a lot of the time.

I am scheduled for surgery on September 10 and have taken 6 shifts of vacation for the recovery period. I am scheduled to work a night shift September 23 but I might call in sick (I did not tell my work about the surgery so my coworkers will be alarmed at me taking a sick day after 2 weeks vacation...). In that case my next shift will be September 29. That's 19 days of recovery.

Do you think this is enough time?

What kind of work do you do and how soon did you go back to work after your surgery? Did you think you needed more time to recover than you allowed yourself?[/quote']

My wife and I are RRTs. Her Surgeon wrote her out for 6 wks because of her workload. Im hoping for the same when its my turn to be sleeved in November or December.

I work in a grocery store where I sometimes have to check out groceries and since I would sometimes have to lift things I was out for 3 weeks. I was fine other than one incision site that was sore for a few more days. I think having time to heal and adjust is good if you are able to be off. Good luck.

I'm also wondering about this. I'm a teller at a bank and sometimes I carry coin boxes (there 25lbs) I'm curious when I should go back to work.

1 week but I have a desk job.

I will be out for 6 weeks, but I have a physically demanding job.

I'm scheduled for a sleeve on Feb 26th and I hope to return to work on March 4th. I work part time at this job but it can be a lot of walking. I usually work about 6 hours a day and my other job I will be off. I hope it works out. I'm glad to read all your responses. I will let you know how my journey goes

I am in Human Resources. Returning to work 2-10. Was sleeved on 2-3.