Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help deciding between Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Aveces

I need some help. I am so nervous about making this decision. I have been doing a lot of research and these are the 2 final places I have decided to have my procedure done. Can anyone give me some experience or advice for either place? I am the type of person that has to be 100% sure...I am just so nervous.

Thanks.

Hi - I'm 2 weeks out tomorrow (friday) having my sleeve surgery with Dr. Ortiz. I reasearched and researched and had it narrowed to Aceves, Kelly and Ortiz. I spoke with my bariatric surgeon here at home and he was aware that if I couldnt get insurance to pay for it here, that I was planning to go to MX to get it done. When they did refuse, before I could even show him my list, he said go to Dr. Ariel Ortiz.

My Experience with OCC has been really great. My patient coordinator was Carolyn and she was on top of everything, responded right away to all my questions and was very supportive. Not once did I feel like anything was a sales pitch as I had with another doctors coordinator who tried to make it sound like other doctors always had issues but hers never did.

Getting to the hospital was well coordinated. The driver called me when we landed in San Diego and told me where to meet him. The hospital was clean and well staffed. Lucia the nutritionist was nice and has answered several questons since i've been home. Dr. Jimenez the cardiologist answered all my husbands questions and was also very nice. Dr. Martinez who assisted Ortiz with the surgery has an amazing bedside manner. He checked on me and made sure I wasn't having any pain.

The post op stay at the Marriott was great. The hotel was really nice, updated and they are ready for the sleeve patients offering 3 bowls of broth each day along with bottled Water and popcicles.

I personally have had very little pain and recovery has been a breeze. Worst part for me was the drain that you go to the hotel with; the stich was tight, and was little uncomfortable, but it comes out the day your going home. I've kept in contact with a few of the other patients who were sleeved on the same day and it seems we have all had a pretty easy recovery.

Happy to answer any questions, just reach out :-)

Cherbear,

I appreciate your response. As I was reading it I just felt like a lot more calm about a decision to use the OCC. I had a friend go there and had a good experience, but as I have researched there is just so much to consider and so many places. I just want to choose the right place for me and I think I am leaning more and more towards the OCC. Thank you so much.

I went with Dr. Aceves back in March and I couldn't be more pleased with my care.

Here is a link to my experience. Once I was home and settled I wanted to share every last detail.

I am not a coordinator. I do not get paid for referrals. I give you my word. I just put a lot of thought and time into sharing the details of my journey to pay it forward and helping others find peace of mind while making this decision.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/74149-dr-aceves-mexicali-and-me/

Good luck making your decision. :-)

I agree with everything Cherbear said! I was there June 10th and had a wonderful experience. I never had any pain or nauseousness and haven't had any issues at all. Dr. Ortiz and the whole staff are so nice, patient and will happily answer any questions you have. Far better care than I have ever gotten in the US.

I also went alone and it was heavenly. I'm a single mom to an 8 year old so the fact I could rest, nap and not have to answer any questions was awesome!

Best of luck with your decision!

I'm trying to decide between those two myself... I'm leaning towards OCC. have you scheduled a date yet?

I was sleeved in the US and my husband was sleeved 3 weeks later at the OCC by Dr. Ortiz.

His experience was very similar to mine and he is very skeptical of doctors and said he was well taken care and recommends OCC an Dr. Ortiz any day.

I had Dr Ortiz at the Mi hospital & Dr Lopez was in there to they were both VERY GOOD and they really care about there patients I seen them everyday even came to the Marriott to take out drain and to check up on me . I am very pleased I was sleeved on June 7th of this year and I feel GREAT !!! I'm down almost 90lbs

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches