Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this group

Hi all,

I'm Sherry from WV, I'm 50 and was sleeved July 17th. My highest weight was 333 and I am now at 294. My biggest problem has been my emotions. I thought I was well prepared for surgery but my emotional response to it floored me. I know I needed to take drastic measures, I could tell that my mobility was decreasing, I have sleep apnea and hypertension. I wanted to be more active with my grandkids, etc. about a week or so after surgery I started to have theses horrible night sweats, would wake up in a total panic. Thoughts going through my head like I had ruined my life etc. thankfully the sweats have stopped and I am mainly having some anxiety now, worrying about making my everyday life work around the sleeve. Stuff like, if this happens will I still be able to get my Water and Protein in. Did anyone else feel this way? I'm struggling with water anyway so maybe that makes it worse. I tell myself that I hope as the days and weeks go by that it will get better.

Hi Sherry....Yes, your feelings are completely normal..It is an emotional journey as well..I had lots of emotions the first month after surgery as well...By the second month I started to feel better emotionally and have felt great ever since..It is a roller coster of emotions though, so hang in there..

Thanks Kari, I just needed reasurance that it's not just me, I am just anxious to feel normal!

Hi Sherry....Yes' date=' your feelings are completely normal..It is an emotional journey as well..I had lots of emotions the first month after surgery as well...By the second month I started to feel better emotionally and have felt great ever since..It is a roller coster of emotions though, so hang in there..[/sup']

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm 8 weeks out and am a teacher. I've had no problem getting the Protein and Water in. But tomorrow I go back to work. The 26th the kids come back. But I can't be constantly drinking and teach 4 year olds!

Hi all' date='

I'm Sherry from WV, I'm 50 and was sleeved July 17th. My highest weight was 333 and I am now at 294. My biggest problem has been my emotions. I thought I was well prepared for surgery but my emotional response to it floored me. I know I needed to take drastic measures, I could tell that my mobility was decreasing, I have sleep apnea and hypertension. I wanted to be more active with my grandkids, etc. about a week or so after surgery I started to have theses horrible night sweats, would wake up in a total panic. Thoughts going through my head like I had ruined my life etc. thankfully the sweats have stopped and I am mainly having some anxiety now, worrying about making my everyday life work around the sleeve. Stuff like, if this happens will I still be able to get my Water and Protein in. Did anyone else feel this way? I'm struggling with Water anyway so maybe that makes it worse. I tell myself that I hope as the days and weeks go by that it will get better.[/quote']

I'm in the same boat. Sleeved 8 weeks ago and have had no trouble getting Protein in. But I go back to work tomorrow. I can't constantly drink and teach 4 year olds!

Do you have a plan for how you are going to handle it Sheila?

I've been thinking about it for the last couple weeks. I'm asking my dr to send a note of explanation. I teach Head Start and I'm suppose to eat what the kids eat. I have been following my school s schedule the past week. Ill start the day off with 17 gms Protein drink and use it to take my MEDS. Then ill make Breakfast and let it cool while i get dressed. ill mix up another Protein Drink (23 gm) to sip on at Breakfast at school and in between activities...keeping the bottle on my desk. The kids eat lunch early so I will take the rest of that pd with me. While they nap I can eat my own lunch. Then ill make another pd (23 gm) and sip on it during their snack time. And then they go home and I can do whatever I need to do. I'm hoping this works.

I am just over a year out - and I AM FABULOUS. Guess what, you will be too. I had all kinds of issues after surgery, I could not eat Italian food or Chinese food for months and months - Italian is now fine. Chinese, well, still got to be careful, even a year + out. What you are going through are the changes - sort of like menopause, but totally self inflicted - menopause comes all by itself, the sleeve is self inflicted. And guess what there will be good things - slowly the changes will become normal. The eating will all work out. Things will be different, but way way better. Here's is the deal - just understand you have changed your life - things will not be the same - but you know what? They are just going to get better and better. I was about 4 months out and having all kinds of problems with various foods - I was frustrated. NOW, I am 1 year out and looking good. I AM FABULOUS - AND CAN'T WAIT UNTIL YOU JOIN ME ON THE LIST OF HAPPY SLEEVERS THAT LOOK AWESOME AND FEEL GREAT. SEE YOU THERE SOON.

Thank you for the encouragement SpecialK!

I am fifty and having my surgery tomorrow.

I am fifty and having my surgery tomorrow.

How have things been? Up and down I'm sure. Just keep going and you'll do great. I'm 62. At first I wondered" Why do this at your age?" Then I figured,"Why not?" Hopefully I have another 20-30 years left!?! All my life I have survived one thing after another. Then Robin on Good Morning America changed my heart. She said stop surviving and start thriving. It was like I had been hit in the head with a 2x4. The light came on and I started taking steps to be a "thriver" instead of a surviver. You can do it too.

Things worked out well. I found an insulated cup that is dark and covered with designs. You can't tell I'm not drinking Water. Got the routine down!

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been reading several forums but felt compelled to write about my pre-op journey. My info session was August 14 and I have another dietitian visit tomorrow. She wants me to lose 5 lbs before surgery and I gained 2 so now I need to lose 7lbs. I feel that the longer I wait the more weight I will gain and then have to lose before I have my surgery scheduled. In addition to this, I have been having very graphic dreams of people from my past and me with my deceased Mom in church. I think I am having subliminal panic attacks pre-surgery. Can someone help me to reel it in? My dietitian said that it is common for people to gain weight before the surgery because we are trying to eat what we won't be able to eat again, however; I think it''s me trying to sabbatoge myself. help...?

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been reading several forums but felt compelled to write about my pre-op journey. My info session was August 14 and I have another dietitian visit tomorrow. She wants me to lose 5 lbs before surgery and I gained 2 so now I need to lose 7lbs. I feel that the longer I wait the more weight I will gain and then have to lose before I have my surgery scheduled. In addition to this, I have been having very graphic dreams of people from my past and me with my deceased Mom in church. I think I am having subliminal panic attacks pre-surgery. Can someone help me to reel it in? My dietitian said that it is common for people to gain weight before the surgery because we are trying to eat what we won't be able to eat again, however; I think it''s me trying to sabbatoge myself. help...?

I ate every thing I wanted that afterward I might no be able to eat. I went on my pre op diet last wk of May thru July 28, surgery on 29,13. I went from 266 to 242 on day of surgery. Since then I have list a total of 71 lbs. I am so happy that I had this done, I can't wait to find out how my life goes this year. So don't worry you will do great.