Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetis and the gastric sleeve

I will be having my gastric sleeve surgery in Jan/Feb 2014. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in April this year. I have read a lot of articles on it but am wandering if any one here has had the surgery with diabetes and what was the out come. Thanks to all and good luck.

Yes I had surgery May 22 of this year.. My A1c was 12.5 now 11 weeks later it's 7.1.... I was on the pump I am no longer on.. I feel fantastic...

I am type II and had it for 15 yrs before surgery. Was on insulin for 2 yrs. still on insulin but a lot less plus metforin. The sooner you get the surgery the better. You are newly diagnosed and will have an excellent chance of going in remission. If I had it to do over I would have had the bypass many yrs ago before the sleeve was around. Any questions just PM me and best of luck. By the way diabetes is a real pain. This was the main reason I had the surgery. I read about so many getting off of medications. There is a diabetes forum here. Read those posts for more info.

I am type II and had it for 15 yrs before surgery. Was on insulin for 2 yrs. still on insulin but a lot less plus metforin. The sooner you get the surgery the better. You are newly diagnosed and will have an excellent chance of going in remission. If I had it to do over I would have had the bypass many yrs ago before the sleeve was around. Any questions just PM me and best of luck. By the way diabetes is a real pain. This was the main reason I had the surgery. I read about so many getting off of medications. There is a diabetes forum here. Read those posts for more info.

Thats what I read. And that's not the only reason I'm having the surgery but a good 75% of it. Thank you for your post.

Yes I had surgery May 22 of this year.. My A1c was 12.5 now 11 weeks later it's 7.1.... I was on the pump I am no longer on.. I feel fantastic...

That's great news. Since I have only been on insulin since may, I hope I will go into remission. The doctor told me I probably leave the hospital a non diabetic. I hope he's right cause I am not doing well on this diabetic stuff. Thanks for the input.

My primary care physician (PCP) was so thrilled I was having sleeve surgery, because I think she felt like a failure because she couldn't control my diabetes. It wasn't that she couldn't control it; it was my non-compliance.

I have been type 2 for 20 years. I used to take 160 units of insulin a day and still my sugars ran about 300. Then I went in Atkins, gave up sugar, lost 50 lbs and gave up insulin.

Well, the weight came slowly back, but I still don't eat sugar and I have never gone back on insulin. Instead I have tried all if the other diabetes drugs out there and ended up on just Glipizide pills.

Before my sleeve surgery, due to some pretty bad pre-pre op eating, my A1C was 10.7. Now it is 7. I have cut the Glipuzide to 5 mg, and I am hoping to eliminate it entirely after another 20 lbs. We'll see. When you have been diabetic for as long as me, sometimes you always need some medications.

You are catching yours early so be optimistic that you can completely get off the meds.

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

This is great news. For I am not doing well with this insulin. I am anxious to get this surgery done. Pray the cardiologist finds no problem. With my ticker. For I need his clearance to do this. Will find out this week. Thanks again for the positive posts and good lock to all of you.

This is great news. For I am not doing well with this insulin. I am anxious to get this surgery done. Pray the cardiologist finds no problem. With my ticker. For I need his clearance to do this. Will find out this week. Thanks again for the positive posts and good lock to all of you.

I got cardio clearance from the cardiologist. Yes I am ecstatic. Now ll the other doctors compliance.

Yay! Good luck.

I will be having my gastric sleeve surgery in Jan/Feb 2014. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in April this year. I have read a lot of articles on it but am wandering if any one here has had the surgery with diabetes and what was the out come. Thanks to all and good luck.

Hi,

I had the surgery on June 26th and I have/had type 2 diabetes. I have been off meds since the surgery and my PCP who I saw about 2 weeks ago, told me that he wants me to stay off of them for 3 months (since my #s were good) and then we can see what to do next based upon what my A1C #s look like at that time.

Hate to be the Eeyore of this topic but don't buy into surgeons telling you this will "cure" your diabetes. My mother had type II and two weeks after her surgery she was off all diabetes and blood pressure meds.

However, I'm now having issues with blood sugar/hypoglycemia and was sleeved in November.

Luckily for you, I'm in the minority! But let your surgeon (if he's anything like mine) promise a great miracle after surgery. There's no predicting how each individual will handle such a drastic change in their system.

Best of luck!!

I've been diabetic for 5 years, my a1c was staying at 9.8 for a long time, my primary kept upping my dosages till I was on 1000 mg of metformin twice a day, 100 mg of januvua once a day, and 10 mg of glipizide twice a day. Which still was not working...

Once I decided to do the surgery I tried to make it easier on myself by starting out with one Protein shake a day and two regular meals then took out another meal and had two shakes a day and one meal for a good 3 weeks then when I had to go all Protein Shakes for two weeks prior to surgery it was easier for me but my diabetes numbers were dramatically different daily and I was down to taking just the januvua.

However the day of my surgery my blood sugar was slightly higher than normal and they told me nerves do that. After the surgery my blood sugar was 236 and they had to give me insulin but they had already expected it.. As trauma raises blood sugar.. But by the time I left the hospital my sugar was down to 137 and I've now been home 3 days and I'm not taking any meds and my blood sugar is 115. I keep an eye on it and check it regularly. But I'm still on the clear liquid diet till Monday. Then ill go on the shakes again. But I think if I have to take anything it will be much less as I go on to regular foods. Ill have to keep you updated.

I've been diabetic for 5 years' date=' my a1c was staying at 9.8 for a long time, my primary kept upping my dosages till I was on 1000 mg of metformin twice a day, 100 mg of januvua once a day, and 10 mg of glipizide twice a day. Which still was not working...

Once I decided to do the surgery I tried to make it easier on myself by starting out with one Protein shake a day and two regular meals then took out another meal and had two shakes a day and one meal for a good 3 weeks then when I had to go all Protein Shakes for two weeks prior to surgery it was easier for me but my diabetes numbers were dramatically different daily and I was down to taking just the januvua.

However the day of my surgery my blood sugar was slightly higher than normal and they told me nerves do that. After the surgery my blood sugar was 236 and they had to give me insulin but they had already expected it.. As trauma raises blood sugar.. But by the time I left the hospital my sugar was down to 137 and I've now been home 3 days and I'm not taking any meds and my blood sugar is 115. I keep an eye on it and check it regularly. But I'm still on the clear liquid diet till Monday. Then ill go on the shakes again. But I think if I have to take anything it will be much less as I go on to regular foods. Ill have to keep you updated.[/quote']

That's good to hear. I'm gonna give that a try. Congratulations on your success. And keep up the good work.

My primary care physician (PCP) was so thrilled I was having sleeve surgery' date=' because I think she felt like a failure because she couldn't control my diabetes. It wasn't that she couldn't control it; it was my non-compliance.

I have been type 2 for 20 years. I used to take 160 units of insulin a day and still my sugars ran about 300. Then I went in Atkins, gave up sugar, lost 50 lbs and gave up insulin.

Well, the weight came slowly back, but I still don't eat sugar and I have never gone back on insulin. Instead I have tried all if the other diabetes drugs out there and ended up on just Glipizide pills.

Before my sleeve surgery, due to some pretty bad pre-pre op eating, my A1C was 10.7. Now it is 7. I have cut the Glipuzide to 5 mg, and I am hoping to eliminate it entirely after another 20 lbs. We'll see. When you have been diabetic for as long as me, sometimes you always need some medications.

You are catching yours early so be optimistic that you can completely get off the meds.

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing![/quote']

Thank you. I sure do ope I go into remission. Because me and this blood sugar are not doing well. Congratulations on your success and keep it up. Best wishes to you.

Surgery 10 days ago and my blood sugar is kinda up and down daily. So some days I take meds other days I don't... It's kinda weird. But it's still much lower than it was before surgery. I think it's gonna be a little weird till more weight comes off.