Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie...first seminar 8/3/13.Louisville, KY..been researching...researching...

I am new to this site. I'm 42 years old, been married for 23 yrs, have a 22 yr old daughter and an 18 yr old son. I have been over weight since my early 20's. I'm currently 5'4 and 254 lbs w/44 BMI. I have high blood pressure, sore knee joints and NASH (or fatty liver). My GI doc has said if I don't get the weight off soon I will have cirrhois within 10 years and I certainly don't want to be a transplant patient. I'm an RN who actually works for an insurance company, but only this year have they improved their bariatric coverage to where I can afford it.

I've tried every diet out there and though I would lose the weight it always came back. I originally thought I wanted the lapband, however after doing some research online and actually speaking to friends that have had it done I believe I have decided on the sleeve. I see patients with they band and it is very common for them to vomit in the middle of a meal because something is stuck, I also have a friend whose band has slipped and will require surgery to repair it. I only have one shot with my insurance company for a bariatric surgery and I want the one that will give me the best results with hopefully little complications.

I am currently waiting on my medical records from my PCP so that I can turn all the paperwork into the bariatric surgeon's office this week. Excited and nervous!

Kim

Hello! This is the first time that I have posted anything. I read yours and we sound a lot alike. I live in kentucky as well...I'm 38yrs old. Been married 20 yrs with three teenagers. I have hypertension, diabetes....i am also an RN. Lol

5'7" beginning wt 245. Current wt 236. I went to my first seminar in the first week of January...went thru all the testing..supervised diet....insurance (which was a nightmare, so don't get discouraged) Now it's the night before my surgery! I go in at 7:30 in the morning! Say a prayer for me please! I do believe the sleeve is the way to go. ????

LynnAnn good luck tomorrow and keep me posted. Where are you having your surgery at?

I'm new to this site too and live in Louisville. I'm 45 and BMI of 41. I have been to the seminar and decided on the sleeve. I have seen a surgeon, Dr David Geller from Norton Suburbon. Wednesday I'm supposed to go for the weight management sessions. After that all paperwork is submitted to insurance. I'm so nervous about this but feel its the only option. I have tries Tina of diets and I'm sure they would work but I don't stick with it. I need the sleeve to be my 'tool' to help me change. Where are you in the process? Would love to talk more.

I have attended seminar 8/3/13. Turned in my paperwork and medical records 8/15/13. Now waiting on nurse to call to schedule my appointment at the bariatric center by suburban. How did you decide on Dr. Gellar? Dr. Tanner was the one who did our seminar and I liked him. Haven't met any of the others.

Hi, I am 43 and in Bowling Green - looks like we have a group of Kentuckians here :D

I haven't been sleeved yet either - but I have my surgery scheduled in January 2014 - I am going to Mexico for mine since I will be self pay.

I have seen a therapist who had been sleeved by Dr. Geller. She had a good experience and really enjoyed him and his staff. He's at Surburban also. I met with him already (a little out of order). He spent about 1.5 hours talking and answering questions. He was SO personable...didn't rush me at all. I meet with Norton Weight Management Center tomorrow at 1 and then they'll submit for insurance approval. If it's through Norton Weight Management Center - call them. There's one girl - Rita who verifies insurance and sometimes you have to light a fire. At least that's what the surgeon's office told me to do :) . Do you have any children? I have two - ages 13 (girl) and 15 (boy). My girl thinks it's stupid for me to do. Says I'm just lazy...What's she's really trying to say is that it scares her for me to have surgery and why can't I just get up and move? I take it for what it's worth - she's 13 and it all seems easy to her.

Hope to hear from you.

I have a 22 yr old daughter and an 18 yr old son. Norton Weight Management called today and told me that my file was with insurance verification and after that they will call to schedule my assessment with nurse at the center. She said it should be by end of this week. I ask if Dr. Tanner does an EGD on his patients who are having sleeve and she said yes. If I don't hear from them by Thursday I will take your advice and call Rita..lol. How did you see surgeon first? I'm assuming the normal process is seminar...turn in forms....see nurse, NUT and counselor...then it goes for approval? or do you see surgeon before it goes for insurance approval?

Hello fellow Kentuckians! I live in Hopkinsville, KY. I'm go in on Sept. 4th to the inforformation seminar at B.A.C.H. I'm nervous and excited about begining this journey. A friend of mine was sleeved this past July at the same place. She's been a great support on this journey. I know it might seem far fetched but I'm hoping that I can have the surgery in Nov. My friend tells me that it could happen that way. Anyway, glad to have found this site.