Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

protein shakes..... how long?

I'm only 4 weeks post-op so i know i'll be drinking them for a while more BUT how long will i have to drink them, and how many a day?? Thanks:

I'm only 4 weeks post-op so i know i'll be drinking them for a while more BUT how long will i have to drink them' date=' and how many a day?? Thanks:[/quote']

I only had to do full liquids for 2 weeks after surgery, next was puréed foods, then soft the regular diet. I am 4 1/2 months post op and I still drink at leas 1 shake a day and sometimes I will have a shake and a Protein bar in the same day

My doctor told me I need 70 grams of Protein per day.

I was told I would be incorporating one Protein supplement (drink/shake, etc.) for the rest of my life in order to get in the protein.....my doctor's have an acknowledgement that I understand their expectations post op that I initial, and this was clearly defined.

I'm in my 3rd month and I use them to up my Protein when I can't eat enough. But it is a supplement since I need to eat real food as much as possible.

I'm a little over a year out and I just ordered three canisters of Protein Powder. I have one a day maybe two.

I'm almost 12 weeks out and I use them if I think I won't get in enough Protein for the day. Mostly I eat real food and do pretty well with getting my protein but sometimes I don't feel like cooking and they are easy. I have several blender recipes for protein smoothies to keep things interesting.

I am almost 5 months post op and have started drinking them daily again. I stopped thinking I could get enough Protein with food, but I can't.I use syntax nectar chocolate truffle. sometimes I add PB2 or a half a banana with ice and almond milk and it is delicious. It's like a treat.

At six weeks my doctor told me to try to get my nutrition from food rather than shakes, and I was doing really well until this past week when I had a gallbladder flare and Protein Shakes are one of the very few things that don't cause me pain. Before this week I would have 1 or 2 shakes a week, usually on the weekends when I was too busy to eat and needed the Protein. I plan on always keeping them in my refrigerator just in case I need one, but I hope I can get down to 1 or 2 a month, if at all.

I'm just 7 weeks out, but I've gotten used to making an espresso shake every morning. It gives me a good coffee flavor with a lot of Protein to start the day. I don't see myself cutting that out, at least not for the foreseeable future.

I only did shakes through liquid phase. Never found any I liked, so I phased them out. I drink 2-3 glasses of skim milk a day, plus what I eat to meet 63-78g of Protein daily. It's never been a problem.

I'm 8 months out and still have several per week. I've never been one to eat Breakfast, but my nutritionist said it was important I eat throughout the day, so I typically have one in the morning to get my Protein intake off to a good start and keep my metabolism chugging along. I actually enjoy them!

I can't remember exactly but I think I ditched the shakes around 3 months post op.

Thank you to everybody who replied! It really helps. I actually like the shakes, I add tofu to them for ex creamy-ness. I just didnt know how long. Again,thank you. Im so overjoyed I sound this site :rolleyes: