Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Re: Worried over Excess Skin.....

:straight Hi Everyone,

I have a concern I would like to ask about. Some of my friends had the bariatric procedure and well ended up w/flabby skin. I'm hoping the chances are smaller of that occuring w/the Lap Band as I hear you do not loose as fast as bariatric patients. I already have a stomach that hangs a bit which I hate and really hoping it won't get worse. In the past I have lost substational amounts of weight but at a slow progress and stomach seemed to adjust but I'm older now so don't know if that will make a difference. Have any of you in your Lap Band journey had problems w/excess skin?

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but if you have weighed close to 300 pounds for any length of time, chances are pretty good that you'll want cosmetic surgery after you lose a substantial amount of weight.

I'm pushing 58 years old and had a Tummy Tuck almost ten weeks ago, even though I'm nowhere near my goal weight. But hangy stuff is hangy stuff...and, IMHO, a lot worse than having surgery to get rid of it is living with it.

Before I had surgery, I was told that IF you are very young and have very elastic skin and have been morbidly obese a very short time, your skin MAY return to its original shape.

I'm 32 - 33 in a couple of weeks and my skin is pretty bad

My arms are hanging and my thigh's aren't great either..

I weighed 390 pounds and have lost a total of 132 pounds - I still have to lose at least 100 pounds to get to a BMI of 25 (which I doubt I will ever reach!)

I'm very worried about my skin too - I'm thinking... if it's bad now... how will it look then ! :)

Saying that... I was an exceptionally high weight to start with... so you might be luckier than me...

I know that excersize (which I haven't done) is a great help in keeping your skin supple & it "should" go back MUCH better than if you do what I did.... nothing! lol

Hope this helps! (or doesn't get you down at least)

Aud x

Hi Dee,

There is no question that a slower loss will decrease the occurrence of excess skin. But the rest is, I think, largely a matter of circumstance and genetics. The younger you are the less trouble you'll have with it. The advice I've heard about keeping yourself well hydrated also make sense to me, but outside of that I don't think there's much we can do to influence the situation.

Loose skin will be my badge of honor, a talisman of a battle won. As of now I can't imagine voluntarily going under the knife again for any reason--I hate general anaesthesia that much. But ask me again in another 60 lbs; my feelings may have changed by then.

I met a 30 year old Duodenal switch patient in town the other day. She has lost 150 lbs in 10 months and still has about another 80 to go. She started at 404 lbs. I was excited to meet and see her because I wanted to see how her body has handled it. She looked fabulous! Yes she did have loose skin but the worst looking spot was under her arms. Compared to how she looked before, she looks BEAUTIFUL now! I am 30 also, started at 362 lbs and have about 200 lbs to loose so I wanted to get an idea of what to expect. If I look 1/2 as good as she does I'll be thrilled. Sure, eventually I still may want a Tummy Tuck but you should at least wait till you are at goal for 1 year. I have a long time to worry about how to pay for it. Besides since I am losing weight slightly slower than this girl, than who knows? Maybe mine will be tighter. I also do Water aerobics so I am hoping that helps too. Best wishes, Teresa

:) Hi everyone sorry I would have liked to responded to ea of you individually but, my son has been sick the past few days but, took him to doctor and he should be alright soon. Thankyou all for responding back to me it was helpful. You all seemed to have different opinions but, somewhat similar. I guess it really all depends on the individual and their skin tone etc.. By the way reading where you have been and where you are now gives me inspiration and I am so looking forwarded to getting my operation now. I guess takes a few days and talking to you all to really think about it and I guess when I really think about it. I guess I would rather have some skin flab then well to have diabetes or a heart attack for instance. So weighing it out now. If the operation helps me I am blessed. Just hope if I have to get a Tummy Tuck I can afford it. Better start saving my pennies now just in case who knows and hmm if I dont have to pay for a tummy tuck then thats just the more money I can save and get a whole new wardrobe.:D Thnks,Hugs,Diane

Guest p_momma

Has anyone looked into the cost of a Tummy Tuck or "arm tuck" (you know what I mean -- I can't remember what it's called right now)? Just wondering how many pennies it's going to take . . .

Hi Dee

I started this journey at 265lbs, close to 300

and I can honestly say there is no way I will need plastic surgery to remove any excess skin. I have lost 40 and am almost half way there as my goal is 90 pounds. I swim and my job keeps me active which I think is helping me from becoming flabby also the slow rate of weight los of 1-2 pounds a week helps. Maybe I'm still young enough at 38 and have not been morbidly obese for very long...dont get me wrong I have battled with my weight all my life but at 29 yrs old I made a life styl;e change and lost 100 pounds and kept it off for over 5 years but then tragedy struck my family and I mean tragedy..I was put on an anti depressant and that was my down fall..the weight just started coming back on.

My stomach already hangs. I'm sure it will get worse. I have flabby upper arms. But I don't know if repair surgeries for those will be "in the budget" when the time comes. Right now, I'm just so happy to be on the "losing side", having more energy, feeling better, less depressed, and getting out living life (which I let pass me by for way too long.) If I have to wear sleeves and untucked shirts the rest of my life, I can do that.

P.S. I went bike riding with my family yesterday evening. We saw a spotted baby fawn with her mother, and about 15 others. This is something I haven't felt like or even wanted to get out and do for years. My family is really enjoying the new, calmer, happier, more energetic me. I am so thankful for my band and my improved health!

I think my loss is pretty slow too - about 70lbs in just over 9 months - I am 34, and have probably been MO for 7/8 years BUT I have lots of hanging skin - especially my arms... my thighs aren't great either - but shockingly enough, my horrible hanging stomach has sort of shrunk up over a third - I work out 2/3 times a week - but am resigned to having a good deal of stretched skin. I have given up years ago wearing anything skimpy anyway, and I am not hoping to get into sleeveless vest tops or mini skirts ever! As long as I can get into way smaller clothes sizes, I'll be delighted! However my breasts are REALLY saggy... I would love to have a breast uplift/enhancement/miracle in a few years! But they are pretty horrible these days......See photo attached:

****Just KIDDING! Did you all think I was really going to show 'em????*************** Not even for you guys!!! :) :eek: :eek: :eek: ;):D:o :o :o :o :o :o

Dang, Bright!!! I was really waiting for the photo to upload... lol

I was going to do a compare to see whose were sadder - yours or mine. Maybe make a collage of saggy boobs... :) lol

Hey, at one of our support group meetings, we were subjected to a virtual commercial by a plastic surgeon speaker. He showed way too many slides on a huge screen. Slides of naked post weight loss bodies - whew - not a pretty sight. But, alas, I know I will look just the same someday. Anyway, he said that tummy tucks after weight loss surgery are often covered by insurance. I think he said they are considered medically necessary because the - ahem - "apron" (stomach flab) can cause all sorts of nasty infections of the skin. So, at least I may be able to get some of my excesses removed. He suggested having the surgery when you are 15-25 pounds from goal. He also said that the excess tummy skin and flab can weigh 7-30 pounds! Just thought I would tell you what I learned, CandyB.

How do you know if you've got saggy skin - or just flab? If the skin feels "fuller" is it just flab that can still be lost? I guess if I don't know, I probably don't have it. I've been exercizing since 5 months BEFORE my surgery just to prep myself. Now I exercize 5 times a week (I have a bit of an obsessive personality). Recently, I went to a nutritionist who takes a hair sample and sends to a lab to read to see what vitamins/nutrients your body might be lacking (especially if you're experiencing some kind of health problems).

I told her that my worst trouble spot is my legs. Three-quarters of my weight is below my waist I think. She gave me a diet to follow that will drop the weight where you need it the most. I know this doesn't solve the excess skin problem, but when I go back to her for my results, I'm going to ask about that too.

What about that lotion (Jergens, I think) that has one type for skin firming? Is there anything to that, or is it just another way to sell lotion?

I really think age has a lot to do with it. When I was 40, I lost 100 pounds and had no hanging skin anywhere. Now I'm 50. I've lost 55 pounds. I still don't have any hanging skin, but if I manage to lose the rest of my weight, I'm pretty sure I will. I can see that the skin is loose in places - not hanging yet, but I can see it wants to.

Nancy