Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

losing a few more pounds, my protein drink is acting up again

Okay, I am at about 155#, size medium which i am pretty happy with. I have pretty bad skin/cellulite pockets on my inner thighs and I want to see if losing just a few pounds doesn't reduce that before having plastics so I would like to drop around 5-8 pounds and get under 150 before November. I don't NEED to do this, but i want to. I don't want to lose more then that because I start looking older which i don't like either...haha

I have been inspired by the 5/2 diet and roughly following it, using my favorite Protein Drinks, Premier Protein as a key tool. Well, back when i was about 7-8 months out I was really burned out on Protein drinks and i developed a "stomach cramping" reaction to the protein drinks so the NUT said to just not have any for 3 months (at the time I said hooray!). She was right, when I started drinking them again, no problems.... until now. Starting last week, I started getting that symptom again. The thing is, I find them very filling, they taste good, are handy and most importantly they are a protein bargain at 30G of protein in each - they just work well for me. I don't like the side effects but don't want to take 3 months off from drinking them since they are helping me toward my Nov goal. I also like the taste of the nectar Syntrax protein powders but for some reason they don't satiate my hunger like the premier does.

So, does anybody have any ideas of why premier protein starts attacking me like this and what I can do about it?

Perhaps it's the whey. Do you have problems with any other dairy products? Have you considered supplementing some of your daily Protein Shakes with another type of Protein? Casein is a great slow release protein so it's ideal right before bed. I would also think it would be ideal on a "fast" day where you are going long stretches between meals.

Thanks Butter

I am "okay" with dairy - cheese and yogurt don't bother me. I can have a skinny latte, no problem. If I go dairy heavy or eat something really rich like ice cream, I risk getting the cramping too.

Can you suggest a decent Protein to try with Casien? It just seems like not all the Proteins satiate me the way Premier Protein does...

The one I use is Universal Nutrition Casein Pro, but there are many good ones. It's a powder you have to mix. Not sure if they make any RTD casein shakes but you could google it. I like bodybuilding.com for buying Protein. You can read lots of reviews on every product.

You could also try soy, or better yet some of the vegetarian Proteins like Sun Warrior.

Also, you could just eat some cottage cheese....it's loaded with casein Protein.

Although...I just realized that casein is also dairy, just like whey. But if dairy is not your problem then that's okay.

As soon as I read your post, I was thinking the same thing as BTB, it might be the whey. I agree with soy Protein as an alternative. You can also get egg based protein powders. Another alternative would be a hemp based Protein Powder. I can't tell you a kind as I have never tried any of them. But there is some stores you can go to and they will give you samples to try. But if you are having troubles with other dairy rich foods, it is most likely a lactose intolerance. My husband is severely lactose intolerant. He can eat cheese and have very small amounts of milk in his milk, but anything else and he has horrible stomach pains. Good luck finding something you like!

Try the unjury or the GNC gold Standard Whey. They are primarily whey isolate, which is better absorbed and less likely to cause issues because there is very little lactose.

Lynda

......... My husband is severely lactose intolerant. He can eat cheese and have very small amounts of milk in his milk, but anything else and he has horrible stomach pains. Good luck finding something you like!

Really? He can have milk with his milk??? Isn't that too much milk? :P

Thanks Butter

I am "okay" with dairy - cheese and yogurt don't bother me. I can have a skinny latte' date=' no problem. If I go dairy heavy or eat something really rich like ice cream, I risk getting the cramping too.

Can you suggest a decent Protein to try with Casien? It just seems like not all the Proteins satiate me the way Premier Protein does...[/quote']

You might consider Optimal Nutrition Gold Standard Casein. There are several flavors, but I really enjoy the double chocolate. It has been my bed time Protein shake for 7 months now, every night between 9-9:30 pm. I have only missed like 2 nights. It is that good and that dependable for getting a good metabolic response over night. This is a popular brand. Also, Casein Protein is made with larger protein particles so it satiates way more than whey protein. Until you are used to it, you need to go a little slow on drinking it or you might end up with more restriction than you might expect. It definitely is filling. Most of the time I am eating it with a spoon because I put two scoops into 12 oz of Water and it comes out thick, almost like pudding. The funny thing is that the longer you shake it in the Blender Bottle, the thicker it becomes. I like it that way.

I too have pain issues with some wheys, and soy, basically anything with higher gluten content. Also, I have to stay away from the casein, as it gives me horrible cystic acne. Unjury and Syntrax have been the gentlest and most effective for me.

Really? He can have milk with his milk??? Isn't that too much milk? :P

You know that is a lot of milk, isn't it! I've never been a good proof reader! Don't you have holidays to go on! :D

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and Syntrax are both fine, but they don't "stick to my ribs" and keep me satiated. I am not sure WHY but premier Protein does that.

I am a little worried about this acne business with the casein though - i haven't experienced that and don't want it either!

Last few days I have been eating real food not Protein drinks. Trying the giving the system a rest while i consider what to do next.

Cowgirl I know I still love my premier shakes!

I find that a 7oz container of Fage plain Greek and stevia fills me up just as well.. I know it's not as convenient but..

And yogurt doesn't give the same stomach troubles as other dairy for me.

Okay' date=' I am at about 155#, size medium which i am pretty happy with. I have pretty bad skin/cellulite pockets on my inner thighs and I want to see if losing just a few pounds doesn't reduce that before having plastics so I would like to drop around 5-8 pounds and get under 150 before November. I don't NEED to do this, but i want to. I don't want to lose more then that because I start looking older which i don't like either...haha

I have been inspired by the 5/2 diet and roughly following it, using my favorite Protein drinks, Premier Protein as a key tool. Well, back when i was about 7-8 months out I was really burned out on Protein drinks and i developed a "stomach cramping" reaction to the protein drinks so the NUT said to just not have any for 3 months (at the time I said hooray!). She was right, when I started drinking them again, no problems.... until now. Starting last week, I started getting that symptom again. The thing is, I find them very filling, they taste good, are handy and most importantly they are a protein bargain at 30G of protein in each - they just work well for me. I don't like the side effects but don't want to take 3 months off from drinking them since they are helping me toward my Nov goal. I also like the taste of the nectar Syntrax protein powders but for some reason they don't satiate my hunger like the premier does.

So, does anybody have any ideas of why Premier Protein starts attacking me like this and what I can do about it?[/quote']

Try a whey isolate its the leanest whey protein You can have, If you have lactose intolerances it will help out with that. I drink strawberry protein mixed in with cranberry juice it's Amaze!!

I use mostly Styntrax- orange cream, choc. and mint cookie.

Optimum Nutrition I use cake batter

Gapapri myofusion pb/choc is a favorite