Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have PCOS?

I'm going to be getting "sleeved" in December. I have PCOS and insulin resistance. Did anyone else have thus that already had the surgery? did you loose weight after surgery without plateauing? Did your PCOS and insulin resistance improve?

I have PCOS and am having my sleeve later this month. I will tell you that I did LOTS of research and the consensus is that the PCOS dramatically improves. I'm not trying to have babies, but lots of people on this forum and others have said that their fertility issues were resolved following surgery. I gotta tell you (and this sounds vain) but I am really worried about the post-surgery Hair loss. My hair loss already sucks because of my PCOS. That said, totally worth it if my insulin resistance improves/goes away. Best of luck to you!

I have PCOS and am having my sleeve later this month. I will tell you that I did LOTS of research and the consensus is that the PCOS dramatically improves. I'm not trying to have babies, but lots of people on this forum and others have said that their fertility issues were resolved following surgery. I gotta tell you (and this sounds vain) but I am really worried about the post-surgery hair loss. My Hair loss already sucks because of my PCOS. That said, totally worth it if my insulin resistance improves/goes away. Best of luck to you!

Thank you! Yes, the research I've done as well all points to improvement to PCOS as well. i'm just hoping everyone who has it has had positive results with their surgery. I have had so much trouble loosing weight due to my PCOS and insulin resistance I would always plateau at around 30 lbs. I want to lose a lot more than that so I can be healthy and eventually if I want to have kids. Sorry if this is TMI, but I only get my period every 3-4 months. I have to go on provera a lot to get it and I hate doing that. I'm hoping after surgery I'll get regular cycles.

I am only 6 days post op with PCOS, but I can say that on the 4th day post op, I actually started showing signs of getting my period back (been gone for four months now). I have also lost 9 pounds so far! Hope many of my other PCOS issues go away as easily as these first ones. The disease is one of the main reasons I chose to do the surgery. I am insulin resistant as well. Good luck, keep us posted!!

I have PCOS... I had surgery Dec 2012. I have lost more weight so far then I EVER thought I would lose! I am not sure how this will effect my fertility as I am not really ready to start trying to get pregnant yet and I have Mirena IUD, but all in all my weight loss has been really steady... Don't get me wrong I have experienced stalls along the way just like anyone else but even my PCP and Endocronologist (not only do I have PCOS but Hypothyroidism) are extremely happy with my weightloss results... I feel a million times better then I ever thought I would. My OBGYN explained to me that there are 2 types of PCOS (he explained this much more technically then I am going to) One type that you have no matter what you weigh, no matter how much weight you lose and then there is obesity induced PCOS. Sometimes when women gain ALOT of weight or are heavy most of their life they will have PCOS like symptoms. They are the women who basically get over the PCOS after losing weight... I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16... I didn't have a regular period until I was 18 years old. I ended up having one of my ovaries removed as well. No matter how much weight I lose I will ALWAYS have PCOS and the symptoms of it. What will improve is all of the other factors that being over weight plays on your fertility! I hope that made sense, I feel like I just went rambling on and on... If you have any questions feel free to message me!!!

I have PCOS and I have had it since I was a teenager. I am a sssllllloooooowww loser. I have lost 13 pounds in six weeks after surgery. I lost 10 in my preop two weeks so total down as a result of surgery is 23 pounds in 8 weeks. I see people on here who have lost 30 pounds in one month. Well that is not me. But I am losing steadily and the sizes are going down. I just have to accept that it will come off but it will take time. There is no guarantee which one you will be post op but I can tell you I don't regret doing this because at least I am losing instead of gaining.

As a side note, I follow all of the doctors orders to a T with my diet and was just able to add back my exercise. I ride my mountain bike on a trail 2 to 3 times a week and I'm about to add back in the weight lifting I might see faster weight loss but we shall see.

I have PCOS... I had surgery Dec 2012. I have lost more weight so far then I EVER thought I would lose! I am not sure how this will effect my fertility as I am not really ready to start trying to get pregnant yet and I have Mirena IUD, but all in all my weight loss has been really steady... Don't get me wrong I have experienced stalls along the way just like anyone else but even my PCP and Endocronologist (not only do I have PCOS but Hypothyroidism) are extremely happy with my weightloss results... I feel a million times better then I ever thought I would. My OBGYN explained to me that there are 2 types of PCOS (he explained this much more technically then I am going to) One type that you have no matter what you weigh, no matter how much weight you lose and then there is obesity induced PCOS. Sometimes when women gain ALOT of weight or are heavy most of their life they will have PCOS like symptoms. They are the women who basically get over the PCOS after losing weight... I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16... I didn't have a regular period until I was 18 years old. I ended up having one of my ovaries removed as well. No matter how much weight I lose I will ALWAYS have PCOS and the symptoms of it. What will improve is all of the other factors that being over weight plays on your fertility! I hope that made sense, I feel like I just went rambling on and on... If you have any questions feel free to message me!!!

Congrats on your weight loss, that is amazing! I wasn't diagnosed with PCOS until my mid-twenties (am 32 now), but I'm pretty sure I had it since my teens. I didn't start having irregular periods until I was about 26, however I had strange hair growth on my face and body around the age of 17. Every doctor my mom took me to told me it was because I just have very thick hair on my head and its part of my background and should just accept it which is what I did and started waxing and etc. It wasn't until I started experiencing issues with my period that I researched and went to more doctors and was finally diagnosed. I've been overweight my whole life, more chubby but it was around the time I started getting irregular periods in my mid twenties where I started gaining a lot of weight. I hope to be as successful as you. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. xo Cher

I have PCOS and I have had it since I was a teenager. I am a sssllllloooooowww loser. I have lost 13 pounds in six weeks after surgery. I lost 10 in my preop two weeks so total down as a result of surgery is 23 pounds in 8 weeks. I see people on here who have lost 30 pounds in one month. Well that is not me. But I am losing steadily and the sizes are going down. I just have to accept that it will come off but it will take time. There is no guarantee which one you will be post op but I can tell you I don't regret doing this because at least I am losing instead of gaining.

As a side note, I follow all of the doctors orders to a T with my diet and was just able to add back my exercise. I ride my mountain bike on a trail 2 to 3 times a week and I'm about to add back in the weight lifting I might see faster weight loss but we shall see.

Well like you said loosing is better than gaining! I think you're doing great and am really happy for you =) xo Cher

I am only 6 days post op with PCOS, but I can say that on the 4th day post op, I actually started showing signs of getting my period back (been gone for four months now). I have also lost 9 pounds so far! Hope many of my other PCOS issues go away as easily as these first ones. The disease is one of the main reasons I chose to do the surgery. I am insulin resistant as well. Good luck, keep us posted!!

Oh that's great! I keep feeling like I'm going to get my period but it never comes. Sigh...

These comments are so encouaging... i went in wanting the sleeve and my surgeon thought i should get the DS since i have PCOS... i dont want to do that cuz im afraid of the rerouting so he said i can do the surgery in 2 parts... the sleeve first and if i have suffucient weight loss i dont have to do the 2nd part of rerouting.... i am praying i lose enough on the sleeve... i see people that are heavier than me have great success w sleeve.. im 335 right now. i guess the pcos is the monkey wrench lol...

PCOS, insulin resistance and hypothyroidism here, too. I was sleeved May 6th this year and have lost nearly 60 lbs so far. I have normal blood sugar and cholesterol levels now :) very happy to say. I haven't had an appointment yet with my endo, but hoping to have to take less meds. :D

Thats wonderful!! Are u taking the pill? If u dont mind me asking. Im reading other threads and hear you become very fertile when u start losing... i dont want that lol

I don't do we'll on the pill (always gained weight from it in my 20s). Also, the PCOS stopped me from getting pregnant. I am 47 and kind of late at this stage but would not be unhappy if I did get pregnant. :P

Congrats! So, when is the big day? :)