Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG! I'm FREAKING out!

Ok, so I've thought about WLS on and off for years, I tried to get gastric bypass 10 years ago when I was 26, and 90lbs lighter. I went through all the requirements and got denied. I appealed and got denied again. I was upset, but I lost some weight on my own and was feeling good about myself, I then unexpectedly met my husband and I forgot about WLS. But over the years I gained weight, which wasn't an issue for my husband, but bothered me. I would talk about WLS but never really felt ready, then within the last 4 years, I've lost a lot of family and loved ones, to cancer, heart attack, or complications from their illnesses.

I started thinking of my life and my health, I have hbp, but nothing crazy, I'm on a low dose of hbp meds, sleep apnea, and of course I'm fat. I decided I wanted to get WLS.

So I researched and found a Dr. On the list provided by my insurance, found a Dr. I liked and my insurance had a designated center for excellence for bariatric surgery, so I felt good about my decision, started my requirements to get approval in January. Met the surgeon, Dr. Hilaro Juarez and he took his time going over my options and history. I felt good. Did my 6 month weight lost attempt, ekg, pulmonary testing, and got my family Dr's support. My paperwork was submitted on July 9, got my approval 5 days later, got my surgery date 3 days later. I'm scheduled to have surgery on August 19th, do my pre-op testing tomorrow August 5, and start my 2 week liquid pre-op diet tomorrow too.

With that being said, I'm scared. I'm freaking out. I'm aware of the complications and everything, but I'm scared. I can't help it. My brain is going through so many scenarios and I am worried. I have been so confident with my decision up til now and with it 2 weeks away, I am so scared and don't know what to do. Anyone else have some crazy anxiety before surgery? I need some feedback, I have a great support system, which is my husband and kids, but they don't know how scared I am, and I don't feel right putting them through my fears when I know they have their own. Ok. Done spazzing out for now.

I think this is normal. My surgery is 6 wks out and for the majority of the time I am totally at peace about it. Then I realize how big this is. I just keep telling myself gaining my health back is more important. My Dr is very very good and I trust him. That is very important to me.

I know how you feel. I'm still in the middle of my pre-op appointments but am already freaking out about this. I've never had surgery so that's adding to it, but very worried about the potential complications.

I keep reminding myself that my long list of comorbidities probably put me at higher risk than the surgery, but still scared as hell nonetheless.

Hang in there. I'm sure we'll all be in a much better place post-op.

Andrew

I think this is normal. My surgery is 6 wks out and for the majority of the time I am totally at peace about it. Then I realize how big this is. I just keep telling myself gaining my health back is more important. My Dr is very very good and I trust him. That is very important to me.

I trust the Dr. And I'm sure I'll be o.k., but for now, my anxiety and brain are driving me crazy with the "what ifs" of having surgery.

I know how you feel. I'm still in the middle of my pre-op appointments but am already freaking out about this. I've never had surgery so that's adding to it, but very worried about the potential complications.

I keep reminding myself that my long list of comorbidities probably put me at higher risk than the surgery, but still scared as hell nonetheless.

Hang in there. I'm sure we'll all be in a much better place post-op.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I feel you. I know I need this, my sleep apnea is bad and I can't use the cpap machine partly because I sleep on my stomach, and the other is I hate it, it freaks me out, I feel like I'm being suffocated with air...I know weird but I hate it. I'm sure once I'm on the other side and wake up and see my family I'll be o.k. since that's my biggest fear right now. I'll deal with the pain and any issues that may arise as it comes. Good luck to you! :)

I had great anxiety pre-op as well, and it helped me to read feedback here on the message board...I recall others posting that it was normal to feel anxiety and that you probably wouldn't be normal if you didn't...all of your fears are understandable, but you have taken all of the proper steps I think in preparing for this major step in my opinion...just keep reassuring yourself of all of the things you have mentioned above...also, as I do whenever I have anxiety issues, I recommend you also just allow yourself to "feel" the anxiety...I know it sounds weird, but trying not to be anxious actually makes you more anxious, and it becomes a vicious cycle...if you just "go with" the anxiety and accept it as normal and expected, I think it will help...at least that helps me....best to you

Ok, so I've thought about WLS on and off for years, I tried to get gastric bypass 10 years ago when I was 26, and 90lbs lighter. I went through all the requirements and got denied. I appealed and got denied again. I was upset, but I lost some weight on my own and was feeling good about myself, I then unexpectedly met my husband and I forgot about WLS. But over the years I gained weight, which wasn't an issue for my husband, but bothered me. I would talk about WLS but never really felt ready, then within the last 4 years, I've lost a lot of family and loved ones, to cancer, heart attack, or complications from their illnesses.

I started thinking of my life and my health, I have hbp, but nothing crazy, I'm on a low dose of hbp meds, sleep apnea, and of course I'm fat. I decided I wanted to get WLS.

So I researched and found a Dr. On the list provided by my insurance, found a Dr. I liked and my insurance had a designated center for excellence for bariatric surgery, so I felt good about my decision, started my requirements to get approval in January. Met the surgeon, Dr. Hilaro Juarez and he took his time going over my options and history. I felt good. Did my 6 month weight lost attempt, ekg, pulmonary testing, and got my family Dr's support. My paperwork was submitted on July 9, got my approval 5 days later, got my surgery date 3 days later. I'm scheduled to have surgery on August 19th, do my pre-op testing tomorrow August 5, and start my 2 week liquid pre-op diet tomorrow too.

With that being said, I'm scared. I'm freaking out. I'm aware of the complications and everything, but I'm scared. I can't help it. My brain is going through so many scenarios and I am worried. I have been so confident with my decision up til now and with it 2 weeks away, I am so scared and don't know what to do. Anyone else have some crazy anxiety before surgery? I need some feedback, I have a great support system, which is my husband and kids, but they don't know how scared I am, and I don't feel right putting them through my fears when I know they have their own. Ok. Done spazzing out for now.

what you are feeling is perfectly normal! i think part of doing all your research is knowing all the complications that could happen. and for me that is what was creating anxiety. also for me i had never had any type of surgery so the whole thing was a new experience for me. for me personally i was a basket case the 3 weeks leading up to surgery. the day before surgery i gave my 3 year old a hug and a kiss and i was balling. i was convinced i wasn't going to see her again. but the morning of surgery i was completely at ease with my decision and i knew i was making the right decision. i trusted my surgeon and the place i was going. i knew i was in good hands. also if you feel it will make you personally feel better. tell your hubby how you are feeling. for me it helped to talk about it and i learned my husband had some of the same fears and worries.

hopefully this helps you a bit. if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

I don't think you would be normal if you weren't having reservations and fear right now. Most of us have gone through this exact same thing including me. It is a great surgery and you will love your life when it is done. :)

I had great anxiety pre-op as well, and it helped me to read feedback here on the message board...I recall others posting that it was normal to feel anxiety and that you probably wouldn't be normal if you didn't...all of your fears are understandable, but you have taken all of the proper steps I think in preparing for this major step in my opinion...just keep reassuring yourself of all of the things you have mentioned above...also, as I do whenever I have anxiety issues, I recommend you also just allow yourself to "feel" the anxiety...I know it sounds weird, but trying not to be anxious actually makes you more anxious, and it becomes a vicious cycle...if you just "go with" the anxiety and accept it as normal and expected, I think it will help...at least that helps me....best to you

I definitely know what you mean about feeling the anxiety. I feel a little bit better after posting my fears. That and reading everyone's feedback so far. I'm going to be fine. I tend to keep things in, and this is a major life change that I only shared with my family and 3 others. So I don't have anyone here to understand what I'm going through mentally, because this is my journey and although my family is supportive they don't have any idea of what my fear is like because I made this decision, no one is making me. I'm doing this to be healthy and be around for my husband and kids for years to come. I just never had fear like this before, any surgeries I've had before have been based on ER visits. I didn't have time to sit and dwell, it was like "you've got gall stones, you're going into surgery in a little bit." This is different. I know I'll be ok. I just hate the anxiety and waiting.

what you are feeling is perfectly normal! i think part of doing all your research is knowing all the complications that could happen. and for me that is what was creating anxiety. also for me i had never had any type of surgery so the whole thing was a new experience for me. for me personally i was a basket case the 3 weeks leading up to surgery. the day before surgery i gave my 3 year old a hug and a kiss and i was balling. i was convinced i wasn't going to see her again. but the morning of surgery i was completely at ease with my decision and i knew i was making the right decision. i trusted my surgeon and the place i was going. i knew i was in good hands. also if you feel it will make you personally feel better. tell your hubby how you are feeling. for me it helped to talk about it and i learned my husband had some of the same fears and worries.

hopefully this helps you a bit. if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Thanks shrinky! I have shared with my husband, but I feel so bad because I know his fears get amplified with my fears, so I try to keep it to myself. I end up comforting him, more than he comforts me! lol but it's o.k., because I've found these forums and people like you who are supportive and understand what I'm feeling! Thanks I'll p.m. you when I start to spazz out again! Lol

I don't think you would be normal if you weren't having reservations and fear right now. Most of us have gone through this exact same thing including me. It is a great surgery and you will love your life when it is done. :)

Thanks beachlover, I'm positive I'm going to be o.k., and can't wait to be on the other side but for now, I know I'm justified in having some fear and anxiety be o.k. with the occasional freak out! Lol

I was just the opposite. I went in thinking I would be one of those easy recoveries and since I had had a lot of surgeries before hand I did not worry.....I was that .001 % that things went bad....

Maybe if I had worried like all of you I would not have spent 5 months in the hospital....

Look...once you are done and things progress you will be really really happy you made this decision....I know for a fact that I am!

Go girl go!!!!! :)

You're on the right track for calming down. Support groups, either here on-line or in person are great for letting us voice our anxiety, which all of have if we allow ourselves to admit it. I went to a support group meeting at my Hospital three days before my surgery (they have a weekly meeting for a bariatric patients) and it did wonders for me just letting me talk to others getting ready and those that were figuring out their new lives. I wish you nothing but good luck with your surgery, and many, many good healthy years to come...

i hear you about keeping things in. i am the same way but i finally hit a point when i had to talk to my hubby just to get it out. i did make me feel better in a strange way even though i was still spazzing :). good luck to you! just keep reading and researching. thats how i handled it .

I was just the opposite. I went in thinking I would be one of those easy recoveries and since I had had a lot of surgeries before hand I did not worry.....I was that .001 % that things went bad....

Maybe if I had worried like all of you I would not have spent 5 months in the hospital....

Look...once you are done and things progress you will be really really happy you made this decision....I know for a fact that I am!

Go girl go!!!!! :)

Omg 5 months? I hope you're ok now? I'm a worrier, being a mama did that to me. I was or rather, I thought I was invincible until I became a mama. Never thought anything would happen to me. But being responsible for others makes you change the way you think. I can't wait to be on the losers bench with you guys. Thank you!