Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Actual Down time after Surgery?

I have just started the surgery clearance process. Monthly visits with my surgeon and nutritionist. I am a single mother of two children and I am the primary care giver for my grandfather who is bedridden. Since I will be unable to get him up in his wheelchair daily after the surgery, I will need to make arrangements for a daytime nurse for him. I realize everyone is different and heal at their own speeds, but I am curious what the average bounce back rate is.

i would give your self 3 weeks at least

I had surgery on the 22nd and I feel like I could totally go back to work now - I have a mostly deal job. I took 3 weeks off though just in case

My surgeon has an 8 week lifting restriction after surgery. No lifting over 5lbs. I am a physical therapist assistant in a nursing facility, so I have to take off the whole 8 weeks. >_< I plan to ask my surgeon for a little leniency on that. I do have short term disability, but I will go nuts staying home for two months!

I do use a hoyer lift to get him out of bed but there is a bit of push and pull/lifting on my end to get him in and out of bed. I just hope its not longer than 3 weeks. I don't really want someone in my house everyday. :unsure:

I think everyone is different. I am 6 days post op, and have worked a fairly full week. I think what helped me is to walk as early as you can and often as you can before discharge from the hospital. I feel great! I realize that this may be more of an anomaly.

i m not shore see i work at wawa and you do everything there and i was only there 30days befor i took live so i dont even no if i will have a job cause i have bin gone a month but i may need more if the doc tells me tomorrow cause i dont want to go back just to have to call out

Had surgery on Tuesday, flew home Friday. Saturday and Sunday I did laundry and went back to work Monday (desk job).

everyone is different. I am 22 years old so maybe that's why I recovered so quickly but here's my story..

I had surgery on Friday, was released on Sunday and went to school Monday. I was walking around and even went to the mall Sunday after beings released from the hospital. I did not drive for about 6 days after coming home. And the doc said not to lift anything tok heavy. After 2 weeks post op I started going to the gym with no restrictions.

Thanks Everyone! I guess I will just have to play it by ear, but cross my fingers I don't have to keep a nurse in house for too long. Let's hope for no more than 3 wks.!

I am a nurses assistant in a hospital and my dr said two weeks out, maximum three weeks If I need it, I think it all depends on your body and the dr

Thanks Amber. Yeah I'm going to hope for two weeks and just have a home health aid on standby for week three. Hopefully I wont need them. :)

Although everyone recovers differently there isn't any difference in the fact that you SHOULD NOT LIFT ANYTHING MORE THAN 10lbs for a few weeks. I had no down time and was vacationing as soon as I left hospital.. But I knew better than to do any lifting.

Thanks Amber. Yeah I'm going to hope for two weeks and just have a home health aid on standby for week three. Hopefully I wont need them. :)

I think you should have the nurse on standby for at least 2 weeks after (4 weeks total). It is not uncommon for people to think they are good to go and then all of a sudden they move incorrectly, and they are back in bed/hospital again.

Also, can your kids help you? Not sure if you mentioned their ages, but if they can help, that may make you feel better. Either way, don't rush your recovery...that never bodes well in the long run.

Better to assume a long recovery and actually have a short one rather than assume a short one and need a longer one.