Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carrying the Kids after surgery

Hi There! I'm new to VST and this is my first post! I am currently Pre-Surgery waiting for approval from my insurance. My first visit with my surgeon I weighed in at 263 lbs, I am 5'1. My current weight is 257.

I am really excited to have this surgery and begin a new healthy life. One of my main concerns after surgery is being able to carry my 15 month old son. My oldest (my daughter) is 6 so I'm not worried about her even though she still needs me to help her bathe etc.

My son currently weighs 22 lbs. My mother is taking a week off to help me and the kids after surgery, but I'm worried about the second week when I am alone. My doctor advises that I should carry him for at least a month after surgery, but I don't know if that is realistic since I am a stay at home mom.

Do any moms out there have any advice on how they got around from carrying the little ones? I know this will be very hard for me, but I want to avoid complications that may occur.

Do you have a sister, cousin or best friend or someone from your church who will come during the day and help you out for 3 weeks? I wouldn't recommend carrying a 22 pound baby. You are going to need help and I would start right now asking for it. Good luck on your upcoming surgery and getting the help you will need.

Do u have one of those small fold out strollers that he cud ride in? Make a game of it now. I mean, if he can walk or crawl, he can just climb up in it nd u push him around, even in the house. Or does he have to be carried for medical reasons? Not tryn to pry, just throwing out an option, even ur 6 yr old can "help" push him while ur behind her. As others nd the doc have said, do not pic him up bc ull only end up hurting ur insides. Gl:)

I hate asking for help, but I'm definitely going to have to reach out for support.

Do you have a sister, cousin or best friend or someone from your church who will come during the day and help you out for 3 weeks? I wouldn't recommend carrying a 22 pound baby. You are going to need help and I would start right now asking for it. Good luck on your upcoming surgery and getting the help you will need.

I would go with what your Dr said. I picked up my cousin's baby at close to 4 weeks post-op. Well he had hit a growth spurt and I didn't realize he already got to 20 lbs.

I immediately had to put him down and lay down. It hurt my entire core really bad. Thing is, I didn't expect him to be so much and me to hurt so bad. I can't imagine doing that to myself more than once.

I would go with what your Dr said. I picked up my cousin's baby at close to 4 weeks post-op. Well he had hit a growth spurt and I didn't realize he already got to 20 lbs.

I immediately had to put him down and lay down. It hurt my entire core really bad. Thing is, I didn't expect him to be so much and me to hurt so bad. I can't imagine doing that to myself more than once.

Wow. Now I'm really worried. How will I put him in his crib? Take him out? Put him in his highchair etc. Definitely need to figure something out before my surgery date!!

I immediately had to put him down and lay down. It hurt my entire core really bad. Thing is' date=' I didn't expect him to be so much and me to hurt so bad. I can't imagine doing that to myself more than once.[/quote']

My first night in I too picked up my nephew, he was 28 lbs. I was sitting on the couch at the time but still felt the pulling.

Wow. Now I'm really worried. How will I put him in his crib? Take him out? Put him in his highchair etc. Definitely need to figure something out before my surgery date!!

Not sure if you already told us, but how old is he? You may have to do feedings in a chair (little rocker or something else closer to the ground). I had twins so that was a reality for us. We almost never used a high chair until they were feeding themselves.

Also, as for the crib, can you have him sleep in a pack n play or some other lower type of bed? That way he can be enclosed but you won't have to really lift him.

You may need to consider more help. In all honesty (if you can't get more help) I'd see if you can push your surgery back a few weeks/months until you don't need to do so much lifting of your baby. I know you may not want to hear that, but I can't imagine doing this when my kids were still needing so much lifting.

Just a different perspective, I asked my surgeon the same thing and he said that I didn't have any lifting restrictions like that. Basically, he said, if it hurts don't do it. I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter who is about 40 lbs and I pick her up and I'm only 2 weeks post-op. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Not sure if you already told us, but how old is he? You may have to do feedings in a chair (little rocker or something else closer to the ground). I had twins so that was a reality for us. We almost never used a high chair until they were feeding themselves.

Also, as for the crib, can you have him sleep in a pack n play or some other lower type of bed? That way he can be enclosed but you won't have to really lift him.

You may need to consider more help. In all honesty (if you can't get more help) I'd see if you can push your surgery back a few weeks/months until you don't need to do so much lifting of your baby. I know you may not want to hear that, but I can't imagine doing this when my kids were still needing so much lifting.

Just a different perspective, I asked my surgeon the same thing and he said that I didn't have any lifting restrictions like that. Basically, he said, if it hurts don't do it. I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter who is about 40 lbs and I pick her up and I'm only 2 weeks post-op. Doesn't bother me in the least.

He's 15 months and weighs 22 lbs.

Thank you Jamie for your response. I think my plan is going to be to find support for weeks 2-3 since my mom will be with me on week 1 and then just try as much as possible not to lift him, but I know it will be difficult like I said before putting him to bed, feeding, diaper changes etc.

Thanks everyone!

You are a Super Woman! My Dr told me that until 4 weeks out I could not lift anything heavier than 5-10 lbs. So glad you can lift your baby girl!

While I would like to think I'm super woman....I'm all man!

LOL

I'm so glad I ran across this thread! I am a SAHM of 3 kids and I was getting nervous about carrying the youngest (3). I don't have to carry him except to put him in my car - a large SUV. I'm thinking maybe teaching him to use a step stool now. Once he is in his car seat, I think I'll be able to buckle him.

I'm so glad I ran across this thread! I am a SAHM of 3 kids and I was getting nervous about carrying the youngest (3). I don't have to carry him except to put him in my car - a large SUV. I'm thinking maybe teaching him to use a step stool now. Once he is in his car seat' date=' I think I'll be able to buckle him.[/quote']

I have a three yr old nephew that I watch from time to time. I am so glad he likes to put himself in the car, I'm left with strapping him in. I'm nervous on him falling asleep and then having to get him out,he's a grumpy boy when he awakes lol lad likes to be carried.