Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitness accountability

Hi all

I had surgery July 10 and I have a lot of weight to loss. I am coming from a completely sedentary lifestyle and find change daunting. I am mostly alone in this journey as my family try to be supportive, but usually end up sabatoging me. What I am hoping is that some other people might like a thread where we can be accountable and support each other in our fitness challenges/ workouts.

I need to start moving. I don't even know where to begin, except to say that walking is my best option. I would prefer to do more pool workouts but I live in the country and am caring for 2 terminally parents, so that just isn't going to be possible right now.

That said, how much, how long, how far do I push myself with this new endeavour given the radical surgery and food change I just experienced.

I am open to feedback.

Please feel free to share about your workouts or the challenges in even getting yourself to change the old patterns.

I look forward to hearing from you all!

Best wishes on your weight loss journey

Michelle

Hi BarNone

I, too am coming from a completely sedentary lifestyle. I am still jumping through the hoops of the pre op phase but have been told I need to lose some weight as part of the approval process. I am on a 90 day managed weight loss and am 33 days into it. I have lost 5 lbs so far, which I consider great, considering before this weight loss plan my eating habits were AWFUL. I would wake at noon, grab a 20 oz coffee, then once at work around 5 pm I would be famished and ready to inhale EVERYTHING. My metabolism was almost non existent. So....with that being said, I need to get off my butt and start exercising. I think walking is the best way for me to start.

I would like to start this week sometime. Not sure how much I can walk, but was hoping I can get in a 15 min vigorous walk before work each day, then up it from there depending how I feel.

What do you think?.

Well I can certainly relate to your story!

I like your plan. I was thinking of trying to modify the couch to 5k program.

I would walk and on the run segments I would try to walk faster.

I might be biting off more than I can chew, because I am a very slow walker and I am not certain I can gauge how much faster I would really be able to push, but not hurt, myself.

Great job on your weight loss so far!

Perhaps we could make it a goal to do our chosen walk and report back here. I know I need to have to own up to someone or a group of people whether I am doing it our not. How does that sound to you?

Couch to the 5k is great for starters. Also, giving up the 20 oz coffee will be of great benefit as it increases cortisol levels (stress level also worsens cortisol levels) that increases abdominal adipose tissue (fat cells). BarNone, do you have anyone that can give you a break from taking care of your parents 3 or 4 days a week for a couple of hours? This will help you mentally as well as physically. Sometimes care takers need a break. Good luck to both of you! I'm rooting for both of you!!! wooot woot..LOL

I had my surgery July 10th also.. 19 days post op and down 19lbs!! I too wasn't one much for exercise... But I started immediately walking little by little.. Day 19, I'm walking 2.3 miles 3-4 times a week... There's ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not walking at least 30 minutes a day fast paced... You have been given the tool of surgery... Just use it... We must break the LAZY CYCLE!!! Good Luck...

I agree with the last person, you need a break!! Care taking is the most stressful thing there is! I had surgery MAy 6 th I have lost 46 lbs so far, I'm am so happy, I still have about 80 to go. I started Water aerobics ,It really is the best. I can really tell the difference already. Walking is good but hard. I hope you can get some help ,so can can get in the water. Good luck.

There is no secret - magic bullet answer. It all comes down to good ole fashion hard work and desire. Walking is the best 1st step. Set some small goals. take a 5 minute walk down the street in the morning - then a 5 minute walk mid day, then a 5 minute walk in the evening. Make this "your time." Every couple of days, turn the 5 minutes into 6, then 7 minutes. Go at the pace your pain will allow, but try to get the pace up so your heart rate will increase. Changing from not activity to active lifestyle is a huge challenge and you not only have to overcome the physical pain of moving more, but the mental challenge of forcing yourself to do these things. the hardest part is starting - if you can do it for a day, then you can do it for a week. Then you can do it for 2 weeks. You can do it.

I attempted my 15 min and guess what?? I only did 9 minutes. BUT.....it's 9 min more than I did yesterday so I am happy!!

Tonight on my break at work, I am going to try another 9 min, then that will be 18 min!

YOU CAN DO THIS, BAR, YOU REALLY CAN!!

Jeez, Pool, you hit the nail on the head. The hardest part was just actually going out there and trying. Besides the anxiety of just starting out, I was a bit embarrassed for anyone to see my fat rear trying to do it. So you know what I did?? I walked back and forth in my parking lot. Figured if I fell flat on my face, I wouldnt have to far to drag myself into the house!!

My goal is to make the walks out to the street by Sat Morn.

Jeez' date=' Pool, you hit the nail on the head. The hardest part was just actually going out there and trying. Besides the anxiety of just starting out, I was a bit embarrassed for anyone to see my fat rear trying to do it. So you know what I did?? I walked back and forth in my parking lot. Figured if I fell flat on my face, I wouldnt have to far to drag myself into the house!!

My goal is to make the walks out to the street by Sat Morn.[/quote']

Keep up the good work, The key is consistency. Do your exercises at least 4 out of 7 days to see results quicker. Regarding the pool, Water is 12 times more effective than land due to the resistance and better for your bones and joints.

You might try lifting weights if you have been cleared by your doctor.I also use the eliptical several times a week and it is easier on your knees than a treadmill. You can do the treadmill while you are watching your favorite flicks. Sometimes we all feel like we are on this journey alone, but you are not. Most everyone on this board has walked or is walking down the same path that you are.It is not always an easy journey, but it is worth it. Hang in there and know that YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

I need to start moving. I don't even know where to begin, except to say that walking is my best option. I would prefer to do more pool workouts but I live in the country and am caring for 2 terminally parents, so that just isn't going to be possible right now.

Hi Michelle. I started out at 416lbs and i'll tell you where to start. Go outside and walk for 10 minutes (down the road and back or whatever). if you can't walk 10 minutes walk 5. Do this EVERY day for 30 days.

You tell me what you'd do after the 30 days is up.

Hi Michelle. I started out at 416lbs and i'll tell you where to start. Go outside and walk for 10 minutes (down the road and back or whatever). if you can't walk 10 minutes walk 5. Do this EVERY day for 30 days.

You tell me what you'd do after the 30 days is up.

What are you down to now??

Feeling excited about everyone's commitment to exercising! I would definitely like to join in on the exercising accountability. I was sleeved on July 23rd and since I've been home, I've "exercised" through walking laps from my kitchen to the living room...then on Saturday, I started making laps to the corner of my street...can't wait until I can build up enough stamina to continue my C25k (Couch to 5K) program and run in the Color Run this Fall!

What are you down to now??

322 as of this morning. :D