Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I'm in line to have my gastric sleeve surgery in about a month. I'm really nervous because I've been reading all the complications and of course I think all will happen to me lol. I'm also not v sure about only being able to eat a bite or two of something then feeling full. I feel that would be hard if going out with friends or holidays, stud like that. Now I know the whole point b is to eat a lot less, but I still want to eat. For those of you who have had the surgery for some time now, are you able to enjoy food again? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

As far as going out, you learn that it is definetly a social event and you socialize more than eating. You will have more fun. You will be full with so little food. It is amazing. I am 8 months out and I still feel restriction. It is great. Sometimes I even forget to eat. Never thought that would be me. Don't worry. You will do just fine.

It is understandable to worry about complications because they definately can happen but you need to weigh the risks of what can happen and what you feel will happen if you stay the same. For me the risks of staying the same, ie high blood pressure, severe sleep apnea, depression, misery,, was a scarier thought than something that MIGHT happen. Those things were already happening.

With that being said, it sounds like you have not made up your mind that you are ready to give up the "social aspects" of eating. Many people do grieve for food after this surgery. I never did grieve food but I certainly don't enjoy eating out or enjoy meals the way I use to. I do enjoy the social aspect and have learned that they are seperate... it no longer matters much what is going into my mouth as long as it is Protein... Even a year out, I just told my husband the other day that I do not enjoy eating anymore, which is really a good thing because look where that got me.

It is so true that they do not work on your head but only on your stomach and I have a couple friends who did not deal with those issues prior to surgery and now they eat things "that are a little fried", or they "can't eat but a few bites so what does it matter if they eat that pie". I am pretty sure they will end up back where they started eventually.

This is a HARD journey and don't let anyone fool you that it isn't. You have to be dedicated to doing the right things and knowing that this is life long!

Now.... with all that being said, I am happier than I have been in many, many years and I would do it again tomorrow. I have found that food is not that important to me anymore and have learned better ways to cope with issues that I use to turn to food with. Don't take this lightly or do this for anyone but you and you will do it when you are ready. There is no way anyone else can know if you are ready or not! Really think this through and get help if you feel you need it!

Good luck with your decision!! :)

I am craving the day when food is not do important to me. It seems to control my life now.

Initially a few bites will make you feel full, you'll still be healing and getting used to solids again. But, after a few months your portions will increase to about 4-6 oz. and since you'll be conditioned at that point to take smaller bites, it will still take you a bit of time to eat. It's all perspective. Taking smaller bites of less food will fill that dining out time and allow you to enjoy a meal out while still benefitting from the restriction. You won't be able to eat as much, but that's what you will want, should you decide to move forward with surgery. Getting the sleeve is only part of it. You have to be willing to commit to the changes and it sounds like you are asking the right questions for you. Read all you can, ask the questions you have, it's really the best way to decide if this is right for you.

The first few months after surgery I avoided some social eating situations (specifically, going out places with groups where I knew the food choices would be poor for me at that time) I did that for me. I wanted to give myself and my new stomach the very best opportunity to succeed, and take advantage of the honeymoon period without doing anything to tempt me.

7 months out and I realize now, I'm stronger than I thought. I don't avoid any situation, I just make the best decisions for me. I plan ahead if need be, but I'm willing to do that.

I absolutely enjoy myself when I go out to eat, my choices are just better now.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your incite! I'm ready to make this change and commit to feeling better for myself and looking better. Although I don't have any health problems going in, I know the older I get that can definitely change. Thanks again to you all :-)

By the time I had my sleeve, I was so over food! I still go out to eat, obviously I'm not eating the same foods or the same amounts, but my family and I still go out.

I think you have to be ready (mentally ready) for this surgery. So many people only think about being skinny, it's more than than.You will have to come to terms with why you need food and what is more important to you. Are willing to give up a happy, healthy life for food. I decided I would rather be healthy and spend quality time with my children & spouse that sit on the couch and eat crap.

Good Luck!

Hi everyone. I'm in line to have my gastric sleeve surgery in about a month. I'm really nervous because I've been reading all the complications and of course I think all will happen to me lol. I'm also not v sure about only being able to eat a bite or two of something then feeling full. I feel that would be hard if going out with friends or holidays, stud like that. Now I know the whole point b is to eat a lot less, but I still want to eat. For those of you who have had the surgery for some time now, are you able to enjoy food again? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

I'm only 8 weeks out, but yes i still enjoy food! And it's fantastic not to have to eat so much of it to have an enjoyable time.