Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Muscle cramps

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I've been working out with a trainer 2x a week for about 4 weeks now, and do cardio (treadmill) on most of the other days. I'm building up my endurance pretty well, but I was almost completely sedentary. Last night I got a cramp in the front of my shin that literally twisted my foot up towards my leg and just wouldn't quit! Took about 25 minutes to work it out.

Just wondering if this is a result of beginning to exercise, or something else like not enough fluids or Protein (or something else I haven't thought of)?

It's a multitude of things. It's not enough Protein, not enough fluids and the new exercise. I would introduce a post workout Protein shake made with coconut Water and glutamine powder in a quality Protein Powder. Take that consistently and even on off days take it. Your body will level out. You also need to ensure that you are stretching before and after exercise. And it can't be just 5 minutes. It needs to be 15-20 minutes of quality stretching and doing things that make sense based on what parts of the body you worked on.

Hope you feel better and keep up the effort. It gets better!!!

I haI IiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiI I I had leg cramps last week. Wasn't sure if it was I stand at work or the bike riding but I have started having a banana in my Protein Shake or eat part of one and I haven't had a problem since. Not sure if that is what helped but other than that I haven't changed anything else. Good luck!

It's a multitude of things. It's not enough protein' date=' not enough fluids and the new exercise. I would introduce a post workout Protein shake made with coconut Water and glutamine powder in a quality Protein Powder. Take that consistently and even on off days take it. Your body will level out. You also need to ensure that you are stretching before and after exercise. And it can't be just 5 minutes. It needs to be 15-20 minutes of quality stretching and doing things that make sense based on what parts of the body you worked on.

Hope you feel better and keep up the effort. It gets better!!![/quote']

Thanks Tally - any suggestions for a substitute for the coconut Water? I have a bad reaction to coconut :( What is it in the coconut that helps - maybe something I could add via a supplement?

I will definitely add in more stretching to my routine.

Thanks!!

You might check your shoes too. Are they newer or are they worn out and not giving you support?

You could try a banana but I've not had success with them, in fact I GET leg cramps when I eat fresh bananas.

If you can't do bananas (I loathe them) you can try a potassium suplement.

I mentioned coconut Water because its so close to body in its makeup that you can literally run that into you via IV if need be. But water is fine or if you like almond milk that works too. And definitely add half a banana. Not a full one though cuz of the sugar content.

I have been getting cramps or on the verge of cramps in calf a few times in last few weeks. Thanks for the information on preventing cramps Tally and others. I am going to be certain to drink coconut Water, eat a banana with nut butter in am and apple with nut butter in the afternoon before 4 pm on a cross fit day. Also including 1-2 ounce of Protein on side like chicken skewer. My carbs may have been too low for the amount of workouts I do or maybe overtraining may cause the calf cramp. I also believe dehydration may have been contributing to cramping issue from pre workout drinks (going to break habiit of using these). I love fitness and working out!!

I have been getting cramps or on the verge of cramps in calf a few times in last few weeks. Thanks for the information on preventing cramps Tally and others. I am going to be certain to drink coconut water' date=' eat a banana with nut butter in am and apple with nut butter in the afternoon before 4 pm on a cross fit day. Also including 1-2 ounce of Protein on side like chicken skewer. My carbs may have been too low for the amount of workouts I do or maybe overtraining may cause the calf cramp. I also believe dehydration may have been contributing to cramping issue from pre workout drinks (going to break habiit of using these). I love fitness and working out!![/quote']

Hi Fiddle - I'm not at the fitness level yet that you've achieved, but I've been wondering if I should be eating carbs pre-workout? I'm 10 weeks post-op and exercising regularly. Last night was my first experience with muscle cramps, but I do find myself becoming light-headed during strength training workouts. My NUT is so anti-carb that I've avoided them, but I've been reading a lot about the benefits of carbs pre-workout & Protein post-workout. Would love to hear your thoughts on this, and how you approached it when you first started working out. Thanks!

I mentioned coconut Water because its so close to body in its makeup that you can literally run that into you via IV if need be. But Water is fine or if you like almond milk that works too. And definitely add half a banana. Not a full one though cuz of the sugar content.

Thanks Tally! I'll try the almond milk.

Hi Fiddle - I'm not at the fitness level yet that you've achieved' date=' but I've been wondering if I should be eating carbs pre-workout? I'm 10 weeks post-op and exercising regularly. Last night was my first experience with muscle cramps, but I do find myself becoming light-headed during strength training workouts. My NUT is so anti-carb that I've avoided them, but I've been reading a lot about the benefits of carbs pre-workout & Protein post-workout. Would love to hear your thoughts on this, and how you approached it when you first started working out. Thanks![/quote']

Yes, carbs definitely need to be eaten before working out so that your muscles have proper energy. You can also fuel your muscles from good fat. An apple with nut butter and some chicken is good, granted that you are able to eat apples. I did not really start working out , as in strength training, until month 7 so had the luxury of being able to eat apples by month 6. Before rushing out and carbing up, do know this: low carb diet is the best (or fastest) way to drop excess weight during the first 6 months. I did not really start eating any carbs until month 5 when I start cranking out 5k, 10k runs. Legs needed it. Now I have to carb up or I will not be able to get through the workouts. I am about 1 year post op.

Removed response - wrong thread

Yes' date=' carbs definitely need to be eaten before working out so that your muscles have proper energy. You can also fuel your muscles from good fat. An apple with nut butter and some chicken is good, granted that you are able to eat apples. I did not really start working out , as in strength training, until month 7 so had the luxury of being able to eat apples by month 6. Before rushing out and carbing up, do know this: low carb diet is the best (or fastest) way to drop excess weight during the first 6 months. I did not really start eating any carbs until month 5 when I start cranking out 5k, 10k runs. Legs needed it. Now I have to carb up or I will not be able to get through the workouts. I am about 1 year post op.[/quote']

I'm just shy of 3 months out, but I really enjoy the strength training. Even after a short period I'm starting to feel stronger, so I don't want to stop. I'm less fond of cardio, but know I'm still in the period where it's necessary to keep burning fat (I've lost 37 lbs and have 80 to go).

Any ideas on how to have adequate fuel for workouts without getting too many carbs in when one is as early post-op as I am? I can't quite tolerate apples yet, and haven't tried nut butter. Slooowly getting to the point where I can digest chicken, but I mostly stick to fish. I'm also starting with a new NUT soon, so hopefully she'll be able to make some suggestions as well.

Sorry for all the questions, just hoping to glean some helpful info from those who have been there.

You can get an amazing amount of carbs from veggies. Look up high carb veggies. Make yourself an omelette with those veggies and use a good fat like sliced avocados. And if you're worried about eating a good Breakfast or whatever for an AM workout you need to change your concept of Breakfast foods. It not about that or lunch or dinner. It's now a time to fuel your body. So eat whatever you can at whatever time of day it is that will enable you and your body to get through a workout. Irregardless of what you think a certain time of day dictates what you should be eating. I eat "weird" things all day long. I drive people nuts but I frankly don't care. It's none of my business what they think just as its none of their business what I choose to do.

But google veggies with carbs or veggies containing carbs for counts. That can help you.