Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 weeks out can I have a drink?

I'll be 5 wks out and I'm going out tomrw. Is it okay to have one drink uncabornated? And obviously not a shot or anything super strong

I'll be 5 wks out and I'm going out tomrw. Is it okay to have one drink uncabornated? And obviously not a shot or anything super strong

Well, first of all, what does your surgeon say? That's going to be your guidebook through this sleeve journey. In my option though, 5 weeks after is waaaaay to early to drink alcoholic beverages- weak or not. You just had most of your stomach removed and are still healing- I'm two weeks behind you and I just started on purée- no way is my stomach ready for alcohol...I'm not even trying caffeine yet! Every surgeons office is different...some even say you should NEVER drink again after sleeve surgery. My surgeon's office said three months, but I'm trying to wait six months like my husband did, just to play it safe. I'm not saying the lemondrops haven't been calling my name! ;) Alcohol also has lots of extra calories you don't need this early on, so keep that in mind when you do drink later on. But please, don't drink this early out- not good for your sleeve!

I concur with what's written above - ask your surgeon! Mine says no alcohol for 6 months (frankly, I don't want the empty calories anyway), but I was allowed caffeine immediately (drinking coffee right now).

Doc gave approval for a glass of wine 7 weeks post op. surg was 11/7 & I had wine on 12/31. While i was able to tolerate it, I got tipsy really fast so I stopped after drinking half of it. I was warned that it wouldn't take much to get me drunk & to watch my surroundings.

Weird thing is, I got approval to drink at 7 weeks, but was told back then it was too soon for caffeine.

So it truly depends on your doctor.

I am also going to say ask your Dr. Mine says no alcohol or caffeine period. Like in never. It amazes me how these surgeons differ in opinion. I have a friend that had the same surgery and at 5 weeks she was drinking wine..... This always seems to be a subject that is debated on this site .... best wishes on your journey..

Reminds me of a true story...

Two counselors were at camp. It was Friday and one couselor said to the other, "Man, I am trying to be a strict Catholic, but I'd really like bacon this morning". The other counselor said, "Ah go ahead, I'm having bacon".

So after their fine bacon-full Breakfast the second counselor says "'course, I'm not Catholic".

So... I can give you permission toi have a drink, but I ain't your surgeon. Check there, they might say OK (my plan want's me to avoid ETOH for six months, which I'll do... and I miss wine.)... (GOOD wine)

Everyone is different! My md recon. no alcohol for 6 months! I didn't listen, had a little sip of alcohol at week 4 - was so sick! Left the party-sweating, chills, feeling like I could vomit, but couldn't! Was disoriented...I felt like someone drugged me! Not fun or attractive! Hold out as long as possible! Now at 9 months, I can drink vodka and tonic or crystal light and lime. One drink is great, a second...I'm ok, any more than that is too much and I'll get the same suck feeling as in the beginning. So now, like my food , I can drink in moderation.

What does your doctor recommend? Mine says wait six months, which I did, but when I had a glass of wine for Mother's Day after 2 sips I was woozy and That was it for me! I did have wine about a month ago and was ok but I drank it very very slowly.

Be careful and check with your doctor -- 5 weeks seems way too soon!

I agree with the rest o f the posts. Five weeks is way too soon. I read that six months is the standard waiting period. But be careful, it will make you drunk quicker. I don't much at all so I probably will not be drinking anything except Water.< /p>

Im almost 8 months out. Had my first drink about 3 weeks ago. Terrible! It gave me the worst indigestion and sour stomach! It's up to you, but I would wait. I drink Water all the time now...even if we go to the bar with friends. No one who really cares about me cares what I am drinking.

I agree with everyone else to ask your surgeon. I'm almost 3mos po and my surgeon didn't give me restrictions on drinking. I have a couple of drinks on the weekend and I feel fine, no stomach aches. But everyone is different and every surgeon's restrictions are different.