Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Donali's Secrets of Success

Donali, you have been so successful in your weight loss in a really short length of time. Would you please share some of your winning weight loss secrets? In an average day, what are number of meals, and what each meal consists of? Do you weigh and measure your food before eating --- always? Fluids, how much do you try to intake on a given day? Exercise, what form do you enjoy and routinely use? I am so in awe of you. I want to do what I possible can to have a fraction of the success that you have. Any info. that you can share will be greatly appreciated by us lowly peon bandsters.

Marie, you are so cute to call me "so successful in your weight loss in a really short length of time."

Believe it or not, I fall smack-dab in the middle of "average" as far as expected weightloss with the band, which is 1-2 pounds per WEEK (that's 4-8 pounds per MONTH).

There are others on this site that have been wildly successful, as far as amount and quickness of loss - Babs and ShellyJ just to name two offhand.

In the 75 weeks that I was banded, I averaged a loss of 1.34 pounds a week.

The miracle to me was how easy it was. I did not count, or measure, or diet, or kill myself with exercise. I did check out what I was eating on www.fitday.com every once in a great while (usually on one of my long plateaus) just to see where I was coming in. Most of the time I consumed 1400-2000 calories a day, with most days falling between 1500-1700.

I did fall into a routine that I still pretty much follow, although now that I am unbanded I am trying to add in more salads/veggies, as they were sorely lacking in my daily banded menu.

I try to drink a quart of Water on my way into work each day. Somewhere around 8-10am I have a cup of lowfat cottage cheese mixed with about 1/4 cup of bruschetta sauce (diced tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil).

For lunch I would have 4-6 ounces of meat that I had pre-cooked and vacuum packed with my FoodSaver and threw into the freezer. While I was banded I rarely had anything besides my meat for lunch (hence the usual constipation... :) )

I try to drink a quart of Water on the way home.

For dinner I would have either a quart of Protein shake (Trader Joe's unflavored soy protein) blended with ice, Vitamins, flax oil, sweet-n-low and a banana, or 1/2 of a two item combo from Panda Express (mandarin chicken, 1/2 fried rice, 1/2 noodles), or 4-6oz of meat with steamed cauliflower, that kind of stuff.

I try to drink a quart of water in the evening.

For Snacks I would have a SF/FF yoghurt, or some nuts, or some cheese.< /p>

I regularly had sweets and high carb stuff, but not usually every day. Maybe a donut each month, 10-20 Cookies each month, 2-3 candy bars each month, a serving of rice or potatos 4-6 times each month, 2 slices of pizza each month, crackers with Peanut Butter 5-6 times a month...

I go through phases of craving things - one month maybe I'll have a full bag of Cheetos, and then not have them again for three months. This month I'm craving nuts and chocolate, so I made my own bridge mix with mixed nuts, choc covered almonds, choc covered raisens, plain raisens, plain cranberry pieces and plain almonds. I've been having maybe 3-4 cups of this a week starting last week.

I just try to be cognizant of what I'm eating, and where that puts me in my calorie range. Mom and I walk the mall at a brisk pace 3 times a week - takes us 20-30 minutes to make one full circuit.

I think the very most important thing I learned while I was banded was that PLATEAUS ARE NORMAL. In the past if I'd been "dieting" and didn't see results each week it would send me off on a binge. With the band I couldn't do that, and I knew I was eating pretty much the same number of calories each week, give or take, and the weight was coming off. Slowly, but surely. Not every week, not every month... But it DID come off, in fits and starts.

My best advice to people is to learn to eat when you are physically hungry, stop when you are full, try to find other things to do besides eating in the meantime, BE KIND AND GENTLE TO YOURSELVES, and lean towards making healthy choices. THIS JOURNEY DOES NOT HAVE TO BE DRASTIC TO BE EFFECTIVE. I was always doing something drastic - my goal was always as quick as possible in the shortest amount of time possible so I could go back to "normal". Now eating as I outlined above IS normal for me, and it isn't drastic, or depriving.

Many people cannot be satisfied with 1.34 pounds a week AVERAGE. They're thrilled when they lose 5 pounds one week, and then desperately unhappy when they lose nothing more the next two weeks. This is dieting mentality - letting the scale control how you feel about yourself and your progress.

Don't get me wrong - I get on the scale everyday - but it doesn't affect me the way it used to when I see 5 pound fluctuations - because I know I'm doing the same thing over and over again. I still get thrilled with the -5!! But I don't get filled with angst over the +5 like I used to. I know it's normal, and I just keep paying attention to the basics. I do look forward to the day when I feel secure enough that I don't feel the need to weigh at all. Ever.

I don't know that I would be able to have a calm about this journey if I hadn't had those 6 months of compulsive overeating counseling. It really and truly helped me. I don't think without it that I could now be at a semi-peaceful place about food. The band reinforced all the lessons that I learned in counseling, but the counseling is really the foundation of my new attitude about food. Banding just helped to show me how crazy I am/was, just like Sue says. It really showed me my compulsion, and how strong it is even when physical hunger is absent.

I don't know if my way would work for anyone else, but it worked for me, and so far I am able to keep doing what I did while I was banded. I feel I need to be a little more vigilant about bingeing, and what I choose to binge on, but so far I haven't really had any "true" bingeing episodes like from my past.

I hope this helps someone!!

:D

SO MUCH of that post I'd like to frame and put in the Bandsters Hall of Fame. Gold, every one of them gold.

To wit:

I think the very most important thing I learned while I was banded was that PLATEAUS ARE NORMAL. In the past if I'd been "dieting" and didn't see results each week it would send me off on a binge.

THIS JOURNEY DOES NOT HAVE TO BE DRASTIC TO BE EFFECTIVE.

Many people cannot be satisfied with 1.34 pounds a week AVERAGE. They're thrilled when they lose 5 pounds one week, and then desperately unhappy when they lose nothing more the next two weeks. This is dieting mentality - letting the scale control how you feel about yourself and your progress.

Donali, I <3 you. :)

Thank you, Donali, for sharing. I enjoyed reading your post very much. I, too, really feel that I should give counseling a try. Once August is over and I'll be home for awhile. I really do think I'll pursuit that. How often did you go per month?

Leatha

My counseling was a 50 minute session once a week for three months that ended with 5-10 minutes of hypnotherapy. Then I paid for 3 months of group support, which was 50 minutes once a week for 3 months, but about 1.5 months into it the program was discontinued.

My counselor was specifically trained for this particular kind of work, and had gone through the program herself, so completely understood on a personal level what I was going through. So although her struggle was on a smaller scale (she had to lose and maintain a 40 pounds loss), she had been just as distraught over her out of control eating as I was about mine.

Alex - I <3 you too... :)

Donali

Your post is terrific! It is so clear and so helpful to so many people. It's no wonder you are doing well "flyin solo" - you've really got the "band thing" - and "life" - down pat! Congratulations.

Mary

This is the first time I saw this post and it is such a great one.

Thank you Donali for posting this. There is so much valuable information in it for old and new bansters.

Donali,

Can you tell us what you weighed before the band and what was your plateau with the band and how much you weigh now? thanks.

I started at 303, and got down to 200.5 by mid-September, 2 months after my band removal. Than BF moved in, schedules changed, eating out commenced, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentine's Day happened... lol Bday is this weekend, then Easter is just around the corner... Aaaack!! lol

My plateau info from an old post:

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1341&highlight=plateau

I think the plateaus are the hardest thing. Maybe we can think of them as what it will be like when we reach our goal weight? Hopefully at some point we will no longer be looking to see that our weight is going down, but just staying the same, day after day, year after year, for the rest of our lives.

A plateau is not the time to automatically run for a fill. A plateau is a time to reflect, to regroup and to regather. The body needs it (apparently, since they seem to happen to just about everyone), and the MIND needs it. Really.

However, if we are not at goal, there comes a time when the plateau no longer seems to serve a purpose in our minds. At this point, it is time to evaluate.

1. Start tracking on www.fitday.com everything you consume everyday. Be HONEST! Yes, 3 cups of fat free/sugar free ice cream counts, and MUST be logged (lol - that's to me for last night :sick )

2. Update your stats - your current weight and activity level. Then go to the "activities" section and check out the number of calories you're supposed to be burning at your basal metabolism. Aim to consume that number of calories (and up to 200 additional) everyday.

3. Recently there has been a lot of discussion (my euphamism for "arguments" lol) on other boards about the amount of Protein required each day. Unless you're really short and tiny, it seems the bare minimum should be 60 grams.

4. Make sure you are drinking .5 oz of Water for every pound of body weight.

5. Seriously try to take a 60 minute walk at least every other day. Every day if at all possible. This does not have to be a kill yourself speed. Just walk (winter is a great excuse to walk the mall - just as hot summers are a great excuse to walk the mall - lol). If you are already exercising like the dickens, change your routine. shake it up - do something different.

6. Of the foods you are recording in fitday, be sure that you are eating SOLIDS.

7. Are you eating when you're hungry, stopping when you're full?

8. Are you eating regularly?

Do this for TWO weeks. Are you still plateaued? Are you meeting your caloric/water/exercise requirements? Are you hungry/overly full?

If you are unable to meet your basal calorie requirements with solid food, your fill may already be too tight.

If you are PBing, you are either too tight, not chewing well enough, are eating too fast, or eating foods that don't work for your band (usually bread, rice, pasta). Fix the chewing/speed/type of food. If you are still PBing you are TOO tight.

If you are exceeding your basal calorie requirements with solid food by more than 200 calories, it's time for a fill.

Chances are, as soon as you start tracking on fitday and make a commitment to walking, your plateau will "magically" be busted.. :)

For enquiring minds, my own stats:

2/10-3/13 - stuck at 281 (31 days)

3/31-4/14 - stuck at 278 (14 days)

4/15-5/6 - stuck at 267 (21 days)

5/12-6/30 - stuck at 262 (49 days)

7-14-8/4 - stuck at 257 (21 days)

9/2-10/13 stuck at 247 (41 days)

12/1-12/29 - stuck at 233 (28 days)

Fills dates and resulting fill level:

3/8/03 1.1cc

6/6/03 1.3cc

7/12/03 2.0cc

10/4/03 2.6cc

My weight may have fluctuated up/down a couple pounds throughout the time of the plateau, but on the Monday when I weighed "officially" each week, it was the same as the week before.

So throughout the year I've been banded, with 205 days of plateau, I have lost 81 pounds (yesterday I was 222).

Final words of advice - don't panic, evaluate yourself honestly for two weeks as outlined above, and I bet either your plateau breaks itself, or you find you need a fill/unfill.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for sharing Donali. You're so right evaluate yourself honestly and do the best you can with what ya know. Thanks again

I guess it's okay if this thread turns into a reiteration about plateau "truths" - since the are an annoying part of everyone's journey. But, hey - at this point I hope I AM on a plateau, and not going up anymore!! lol

Geez... this advice is all so good... You'd think I would have been able to keep these 30 pounds from creeping on. Saying and doing are so very two different things... sigh...

Repeating for my benefit!! :D

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1545&highlight=plateau

Hi Babs -

Well, you've already said that not weighing regularly is NOT an option for you, so I can't tell you to throw your scale off a tall building. :) And as "anti-scale" as I am, I still weigh regularly myself for the same reasons you state - some sort of accountability.

You already know that the plateaus are regular, short lasting, and have no effect on your average weightloss per month, but you freak out on plateaus in spite of your own well documented trends that it is indeed only temporary.

The trick for me (undoubtedly you've read my very detailed post about my plateau's, their length, and my monthly weightloss average - lol) was to change my attitude about the plateau itself.

Since everyone has them, they're obviously "needed" by the body. So I freak out less over plateaus because I tell myself:

1. My body is resting and compacting, doing all the secret body stuff it needs to do to adjust to its new size before it gets smaller.

2. I have an opportunity for my mind to adjust to my body at this size.

3. However long my body needs to readjust itself before it can release more weight is the right amount of time.

If my plateaus seem ridiculously long, I evaluate my lifestyle and reaffirm some truths (for me):

1. My journey is about health, not weightloss. If I continue to do healthy things, my body will achieve a normal weight.

2. Am I doing what I need to do to achieve health? Am I drinking enough Water, eating enough Protein, exercising enough? Is there room for improvement? Am I willing to make some small changes that may aid/speed my health? If I am not emotionally ready to make more positive changes, then I don't, and I accept that emotionally I am not ready to be more healthy, but I also make a mental note of what steps I could take, once I AM ready to make more changes.

3. Above all, I am gentle, loving, and accepting of myself and where I am. I have abused myself physically and emotionally all my life, and I am no longer going to treat myself that way. I am willing to look at myself honestly, accept where I may be lacking in effort, and congratulate myself for how far I've come and validate my journey. I remind myself that there is no "deadline", and that this is for life.

This things do not keep me from stepping on the scale and hoping that the number drops, but it does keep me from freaking out when it doesn't, week, after week.

Hope something in this helps! You're doing great! Don't let those negative tapes about fear of failure kick in and sabotage your good feelings about yourself!

:D

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1727&highlight=plateau

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by leo

Yes these plateaus are really something. Without the band I would have been eating as usual long time ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Alexandra

I can get morose about the fact that the scale has not budged in two weeks or more, but I still can't have a huge baked potato. So even if I feel like giving up, throwing in the towel, forgetting the whole damned thing and resigning myself to being fat the rest of my short life (and how many times have I done THAT in the past 40 years?), I STILL have my friend and gatekeeper there to keep me from sabotaging myself until I'm feeling more optimistic. It's the coolest thing ever!!

Wow - Alexandra... Big lightbulb moment for me, and my past dieting experiences. With the band, we ARE forced to keep doing what we are doing, regardless of whether we're losing weight or not, which reveals a lot about the normal weight loss journey and plateaus.

You are so right that many of my attempts to lose weight prior to the band were sabotaged by plateaus - I was hungry, deprived, and/or missing my old eating habits, so when I didn't see scale results, I threw in the towel and went back to my old ways, knowing they wouldn't help me lose weight, but if I wasn't losing anyway...

Now, no matter HOW long I am on a plateau, I can't go on a binge and eat a whole large deep dish pizza, or a whole bucket of fried chicken, or a box of spaghetti. My psyche is now forced to deal with the reality that this journey really DOES take time. I never felt like I had the "time" before - of course, because I didn't want to diet any longer than absolutely necessary... And that mindset in and of itself is so very telling... "I didn't want to diet any longer than absolutely necessary..." Doesn't that phrase scream out that I had no plans to really change my eating habits for life?

But now my body has been changed for life, whether my mind was ready or not. I was always "ready" before, but the "for life" part always dragged on waaaay too long... lol

This time, I started out emotionally ready once again, and now the band helps with the "for life" part.

Without the band, "life" is starting to seem toooo long again... lol :D

I missed this the first time too - this is awesome, thanks so much Donali - I really needed to read all the above - if I'm not losing weight, I am almost crying every day, and hopping on the scales, four and five times a day, skipping meals and then binging... My food addiction/obsession really scares me sometimes - thanks for turning on the light!

Guest Jazper

Just a quick question Donali. If you don't mind me asking, why are you not banded anymore?