Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To sneeze, burp, hiccup that is the question.......have you gone to far?

So today I was talking to another fellow sleever and I am not sure if she has any medical credentials but she talked like she did. So she was telling me that if you are sneezing, burping, hiccuping etc. then you have eaten to much and you risk stretching your sleeve. I was always told this was the sign that you have reached full and to stop. Not you have already eaten to much and now you could begin stretching your sleeve. Can I get some feedback on this topic. Tonight I ate about 4 ounces of shredded meat and certainly no more than that with a few diced pieces of Tomato. That was all I ate and still had the sneezing. I can't even begin to see how I overate...........totally full but not uncomfortable. Any views on this?

Those are definitely full signs - as to the danger of stretching your sleeve once you've reached that point, I'd say no! Consult with your doctor at your next appointment about this, as everyone has different opinions. My full sign is the hiccups - when I get there, I probably had one more bite than I needed to, but I'm not throwing it up and I'm waiting before drinking liquids.

Not sure if the person you're referring to is on this forum or not, but beware of those who think they know everything - they usually don't. My experience has taught me that everyone has internalized their own experience, doctor's advice, research, etc., but that only YOU and YOUR DOCTOR need to be informed about your journey. No one else's experience, knowledge (or lack thereof) makes a damn bit of difference.

Besides that, the jury really is out about whether or not you can physically stretch your sleeve. I'm sure many people will comment here, convinced they know one way or another, but keep listening to your body and do what YOU need to do for YOU. In the end, you're the only one you have to be accountable to!

I don't believe that is a sign you have overeaten either. Full, yes. I also sneeze. 7-8 times!!!! Always have since the beginning. 3 years out.

I think I read where those are signs that you've had enough. But, if you're at home, the best thing to do is weigh or measure your food. I read to set a timer for 30 minutes, take small bites, chew at least 30 times before swallowing, and quit eating when the timer goes off. Of course, I'll be going over everything with my Doc when I get to Mexico.

Well, I can only give my personal opinion based on my own experience but for ME, if I'm sneezing I take it as a sign that next time I should take one less bite.. Do I think I'm stretching my sleeve? No, a sleeve can't stretch very much and I believe the doctors who say that it takes some extreme behavior to stretch a sleeve... but I do feel that sneezing is a sign that I should have stopped a bite ago.

Your mileage may vary!

Those are definitely full signs - as to the danger of stretching your sleeve once you've reached that point, I'd say no! Consult with your doctor at your next appointment about this, as everyone has different opinions. My full sign is the hiccups - when I get there, I probably had one more bite than I needed to, but I'm not throwing it up and I'm waiting before drinking liquids.

Not sure if the person you're referring to is on this forum or not, but beware of those who think they know everything - they usually don't. My experience has taught me that everyone has internalized their own experience, doctor's advice, research, etc., but that only YOU and YOUR DOCTOR need to be informed about your journey. No one else's experience, knowledge (or lack thereof) makes a damn bit of difference.

Besides that, the jury really is out about whether or not you can physically stretch your sleeve. I'm sure many people will comment here, convinced they know one way or another, but keep listening to your body and do what YOU need to do for YOU. In the end, you're the only one you have to be accountable to!

I noticed your surgery date was June 7 same as mine. Thanks for the reply I never get the full signs until after I have finished eating anyway. So I have never pushed on past those signs since I am already done.

To be honest, I had some experience with restriction and full signs with my LapBand as well. Although that experience was less than stellar, my current doctor (the one who diagnosed my slipped LapBand, then sleeved me - NOT my original asshat of a doctor who banded me) doesn't believe that anything I did caused the slip. So, sneeze on!

I hiccup when full. Both my doc and nut said its just a sign you are full and no worries. My doc said eating till you feel full is fine and not to worry about stretching the sleeve. I at more now but theres a limit and it is pretty consistent. He said eating more was a sign that the swelling was going down. Good luck!

Waaaaiiit is this true? I burp a bit when I move, but I also burp when I eat (even after taking a bite or two.). Is this a rule of thumb, or fact?

Note Im 6 days out of postop.

Waaaaiiit is this true? I burp a bit when I move, but I also burp when I eat (even after taking a bite or two.). Is this a rule of thumb, or fact?

Note Im 6 days out of postop.

At 6 days post-op, you're probably burping to rid yourself of excess gas from the surgery - and "eat" what?! 6 days out, aren't you still on some sort of liquids? You'll start getting the "full" signs when you're on to more solid foods in a few weeks.

I'm pre sleeve, and I sneeze if I go to long without eating.