Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting close altered

Has anyone gotten clothes altered while the scale is still moving down? I have something coming up where I need to dress in formal business attire for several days in a row, and I just don't have many suits or blazers that fit anymore (yay). But some are really good quality like Ann Taylor or Talbot's and I'm just wondering if it's worth getting them tailored vs buying new clothes that I hopefully won't be able to wear for long. And I'm on a really tight budget right now--so I want to see if I can sell some of my nicer pieces on consignment or on ebay at some point. Although that will be tough if I get them altered since the sizes won't match the tags....

Appreciate any advice.

I would say it would definitely be worth it!! You can get then altered close to the time you need them...much cheaper than getting all new suits that you prob won't wear very long!!

Having them altered is definitely more cost effective than replacing them, however as you mentioned, once you have them altered, it would be really hard to sell them by consignment because it would be hard to judge exactly what size they were since they would be custom fitted for you. I have several pairs of pants that I have taken the waist in (I do it myself since I know how to sew) because the waist is too big but they are still not too big in the seat and legs. Once these pants are too big, I will just send them to goodwill, so it doesn't really matter that they are altered.

I agree with Kim...I would only opt for that if the clothes were costly ones (like the formal business suits you describe)...I am considering the same option for some formal dresses I have that I only wear for "elegant" night on cruises...I am going on a cruise in October and will need at least one formal dress...I think it will be more cost-effective to alter one or two of the ones I have than to go buy new ones (since I don't expect to be at goal weight by October by any means)...also, I actually love the dresses I have and am not sure I could even find replacement ones I liked as well

I am having a couple of jackets and a skirt altered right now. These pieces were easy to do, as the shoulders and arms were okay, the tailor is just tapering at the waist, or taking in the back seam. If they have to take the jacket apart, take in the arms, etc., then the cost becomes prohibitive.

I've lost weight many times and found that it's nearly impossible to have pants altered. They never hang right. So, I plan to sell those on eBay, and I can buy smaller pants to go with my classic blazers (the manufacturer still makes them).

Here's something to think about though: even altered, the clothes are still your "fat clothes." I personally never feel as good in altered fat clothes as I do new, non fat clothes. But since I don't really have 1,000's sitting around for all new suits, I am trying to make do.

thanks for the great feedback, everyone. Cindymg, I didn't know that about slacks--very good to know. The slacks aren't as bad to buy new and you can really get by with black slacks and nice blazers (and even wear the slacks with more than one blazer/blouse/shirt and accessories for different looks), so that wouldn't be bad. I feel like I look okay when I leave the house but then sometimes I see myself in a full-length mirror and I am swimming in my slacks and look a bit dumpy. :(

I've actually found it to be less expensive to buy "new-to-me" at a consignment shop vs having suits altered. Really surprised when I took my first suit to the tailor and I got 3 suits at consignment shop for same price

Before altering, you may want to consider the consignment shops or goodwill.....I see new, brand name clothing in there with the tags still on.....always surprised at the high end designer names, too. Good luck!