Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting to drink after food

Hi all, am I the only one who is finding it difficult to wait 30 minutes after eating to drink Water? I am a person that believes that water helps the food go down easily / digest and always drink right after eating. Since the surgery, I'm really having a hard time waiting especially at work. I am very conscious of myself like making sure nothing is stuck in between my teeth so I always use a mirror but drinking the water after eating makes it easier for the food stuck in between to come out. I guess I have to re-learn all these things again.

That is going to be so hard for me, I drink a lot. I am trying to do it now, and it is harder than I thought.

Although I'm also thirsty after eating, I'd rather choose to let my food "sit" and digest. It keeps me full longer, which is exactly the reason behind this rule.

I always want a drink after I eat, but I am making myself set my phone timer for 30 minutes after I eat. And you know, I forget about being thirsty! In fact my after dinner timer went off about 20 minutes ago and I still have gotten up to get a drink.

It really does make me feel full longer, and helps me to eat less overall. Give it a try.

This is a tough one for me but I'm getting into a nice habit after several days of trying to look at the clock the moment I start to eat so I am aware that roughly 40 or minutes or so later I am okay to drink again.

finding it difficult to wait 30 minutes after eating to drink Water?

chibabyv

are you the only one...........

NO simple/direct answer ;)

as a NEWBIE i also found it hard to wait on my drinking (water ;) )

I also used to drink, drink at meals

it can/may take a while to get used to this rule - gotta do what you gotta do :angry:

as far as your teeth go............

stuff being stuck between your teeth...............

little trick i've learned (others probably know it too)

i "try" and brush my teeth after i eat .....

i find when my breath is all "fresh" et al - i don't feel as tempted to eat cuz my mouth feels nice and clean...........works for me :)

good luck

keep smiling :D

kathy

My doc's plan has me waiting an hour after meals and I actually look forward to it. I get tired of drinking!

Perfect time to go clothes or grocery shopping too!

My Doc suggests small sips between bites to help food go down. This really has not been that big of a deal. Im 15 weeks out and i drink about 4oz right before i eat and drink about 10 min after. While eating, sips or nothing is really not an issue since i focus on the food.... Yummay!! I think we tend to over analyze everything little thing we ingest as new sleevers. Our bodies (stomachs included) adapt very well to its new changes. We just have to take things slooooow. :(

It's still hard for me after two months. But if I forget I end up with my head in the toilet. I'm learning slowly but surely.

Hi all, am I the only one who is finding it difficult to wait 30 minutes after eating to drink Water? I am a person that believes that Water helps the food go down easily / digest and always drink right after eating. Since the surgery, I'm really having a hard time waiting especially at work. I am very conscious of myself like making sure nothing is stuck in between my teeth so I always use a mirror but drinking the water after eating makes it easier for the food stuck in between to come out. I guess I have to re-learn all these things again.

Nope, you're not the only one! It can be done and is something worth conquering.

It is hard and I've thrown up several times because I didn't wait. But that is just how my body reacts. You don't want to wash down all that food you just worked on getting into your stomach.

If you feel like you need a drink to get the food to move along, it probably means you need to chew a bit better. That's how I was at 6 weeks out and now at about 13 weeks I don't feel like I nee the drink.

I do occasionally take a sip just by habit or, like you, I'll swish it in my mouth to help clean my teeth lol.

Hi so I heard the main reason behind all this is because once your full that's all your body can take at this time now drinking Water afterwards your just stretching your little stomach to make it bigger. I'm a year out and it does get easier however, out if habit I still sip water afterwards but just a sip ..