Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beans and carbs

I love Beans and have read that manysleevers eat them post op in soft phase. They have so many carbs though. Even when you subtract out the Fiber the carbs are usually high 20, 30 or mor grams.

Is this ok?

There are "good" carbs and "bad" carbs. Beans are good source of fiber, Protein, and even potassium. They're a "good" carb.

Once your WLS postop diet allows for them of course.

(rant alert!) CARBS ARE NOT THE DEVIL! (Thanks for nothing, Dr. Atkins.) Beans do not include simple or lipogenic (fat-forming) carbohydrates like, say, high fructose corn Syrup does. Your body NEEDS the three macronutrients of fat, carbohydrate, and Protein to continue catalyzing reactions that keep it functioning. However, you must educate yourself in the various types of carbs so you can read nutrition information/labels critically.

That being said, your first priority (as well as mine) should be on acquiring adequate Protein. Beans are such an excellent source of protein, I doubt you have anything to worry about as far as filling up with carbs before meeting your protein quota.

I mix a very small amount of Beans with a Protein like morningstar patties or soy protein crumbles. Top with cheese and plain yogurt. Lots of protein and minimal carbs. Plus it's good to get some fiber.

I eat Beans now that I can eat more food. I have seen lots of people who eat refried Beans early out, but I preferred more dense Protein with less calories.I did eat low fat turkey and beef chili with beans.

Lynda

...I preferred more dense Protein with less calories...

Lynda

Can you give us some examples, Lynda?

I love black Beans, can't wait to that stage to eat them.

are you pre-op or post op? 2 ounces of black Beans has 9.5 carbs and about 5 g of fiber--not a lot even if you don't subtract the fiber. I had that for lunch today and I added some cheese and Morningstar veggie "meat"balls for more Protein. Topped with diced raw sweet onions and diced red pepper, fresh cilantro and some plain yogurt. Very good and lots of protein, moderate carbs that can easily be worked into my allowance for the day.

Can you give us some examples, Lynda?

Be happy to! I'm not sure exactly what equates to soft food because each program is different, so you may not be able to eat all of these:

1% Fat Cottage Cheese: 1/2 cup has 81 calories and 14 grams of Protein

Fage 0 Greek Yogurt: 1/2 cup has 65 calories and 12 grams Protein

98% Fat Free Ham Lunchmeat (costco brand): 25 calories per ounce and 5 grams of protein

Most cooked chicken breast meat: 46 calories and 9 grams of protein per ounce

Dungeness Crabmeat: 30 calories and 6 grams of protein per ounce

Cooked Shrimp: 25 calories and 5 grams of protein per ounce

Dennison's 98% Fat Free Chili (now marketed as Fat Free Chili): 1/2 cup has 105 calories and 10 grams of protein

Anderson Split Pea Soup with Bacon: 1/2 cup has 70 calories and 5 grams of protein

Frigo Lowfat string cheese: 50 calories and 7 grams of protein

eggs ( I don't like eggs but I can't leave them out of this list!): 80 calories and 6 grams of protein

(rant alert!) CARBS ARE NOT THE DEVIL! (Thanks for nothing' date=' Dr. Atkins.) Beans do not include simple or lipogenic (fat-forming) carbohydrates like, say, high fructose corn Syrup does. Your body NEEDS the three macronutrients of fat, carbohydrate, and Protein to continue catalyzing reactions that keep it functioning. However, you must educate yourself in the various types of carbs so you can read nutrition information/labels critically.

That being said, your first priority (as well as mine) should be on acquiring adequate Protein. Beans are such an excellent source of protein, I doubt you have anything to worry about as far as filling up with carbs before meeting your protein quota.[/quote']

Thanks all... I am 3 days post op. Getting ready for the weeks ahead. I guess I thought that Fiber was tge only good carb. Good to know about density, too.

Why cant we have popcorn? ? Just wondering?? -.-

Is that forever?

Early out, I'm sure it's because those kernels could play havoc with the healing area of your stomach. You know how they stick in your teeth? Now think of that big staple line going down one side of your stomach. And there's very little nutritional value. If you can only eat a tiny amount, it needs to be nutritious. Later, you can have some if you can control your portion. For most, popcorn is on the list of slider foods: you can eat a lot of it. Throw on a little oil and butter and it can be a diet disaster. I've been enjoying popcorn since about month 5 or 6. I don't have it often and I do watch my portion size and toppings.

Lynda

I love black Beans, can't wait to that stage to eat them.

I make black bean Soup, one can of rinsed Beans, a quarter cup of salsa, some onion, black pepper and seasoned salt. I put it in my nutribullet and make it a nice smooth mixture and add Water to thin to a Soup consistancy. I eat 2/3 of a cup usually and it tastes delicious. Kind of like what you get at Panera bread.< /p>

I'm so happy to see this thread! I posted asking about vegetarian sleevers for non-meat ways to hit Protein goals-or at least one non-meat meal a day and this gives me hope. Thanks!