Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone- I was sleeved on 7/16. The pain is still pretty bad, especially when I get up from a laying position. I am a recovering drug addict (4 years clean) and am trying to be very careful about using pain meds. Does anyone have any ideas for other ways to control pain other than narcotics? I don't feel the same desire to keep using them like I did when I was in active addiction- but I'm still trying to be mindful of it. At the same time- I don't like feeling I'm getting stabbed every time I sit up. Any thoughts or ideas?

Tylenol can help take the edge off- my doctor told me I could take liquid Tylenol and they gave me the dose which was specific for my weight. You should discuss this with your doctor- there really is no way around post-operative pain, it will hurt until you are healed. I used pain meds for 10 days- round the clock for the first 7 days and then only at night for the last three days.

One thing that really helped was wearing a compression garment around my stomach- it kept everything tight so my sutures did not pull when I moved. You could also try alternative methods like meditation, aromatherapy, or acupuncture to help take your mind off the pain....

I feel you pain, literally. I was also revised from a band to a sleeve on the 16th and I'm still in alot of pain. The pain of my band going in 4 yrs ago was not even comparable.

I seriously can't imagine doing it without the help of pain meds. But the tylenol may be an option for you. I take liquid vicodin, which takes away maybe 50% of it, but thats it. Still hurts really badly to get up, cough, even hiccups are excruciating. Still havent gone potty yet (been 6 days) but I've taken some stuff yesterday and today which hopefully will make it easier.

No advise for you. Just wanted to let you know you're not along in this! I think I may give the old heating pad a try. Someone else suggested it. I've got pain from my stomach + from gas rising in my shoulder, not one or the other. I'm taking Gas X but it's doing very little to help.

Good luck!

I am finding relief from ice packs on my tummy several times a day. Hope you are feeling better soon!

My doctor was really stingy with narcotics, which I found irritating as a practitioner who was trained that God gave us drugs for a reason, and nobody should suffer when we have the medication to help them.

That said, that was only immediately post-op and the day or so after. After that, I was able to control my pain with Tylenol and ketoralac (Aleve would be a similar, over-the-counter option), and was quite happy to do so to avoid the side-effects and the risks around narcotics.

Make sure drugs like aleve, ketoralac and ibuprofen (NSAIDs) are okay with your doctor before you take them, though. If you don't have any liver problems, taking 650 mg of Tylenol every 4 hours whether you need it or not is recommended by some doctors, to keep an even amount of pain control.

And "splinting", i.e. pushing a small pillow or a folded towel against your abdomen when you sit up or stand up is also very helpful in preventing that pain.

Like I said, I am very pro-drug, but you've worked very hard to get clean and stay clean, and you're going to have enough challenges in the months coming up, you don't need to reactivate your addiction. In fact, if you haven't told your doctor about it, think about telling them now, so that there's no risk of them prescribing to you. If it only hurts when you sit up, splinting WILL help, and the pain will get better remarkably fast as your body heals itself.

Congratulations on your recovery, and for looking for alternative ways to treat your pain. 4 years is no small feat. I'm impressed! If you can do that, you'll do great with the sleeve.

As a person with a history of pain pill abuse, I want you to know that there is nothing wrong with taking your pain medication AS PRESCRIBED. I know that you're afraid of slipping back into addiction and that's a valid fear.

My personal solution is to have my SO help keep me accountable and if I feel myself slipping, I have him lock the meds up and give them to me as needed. This is what has worked for me, I don't know if that would be an option for you. I do know, however, that pain that is uncontrolled can impede healing. I wish you the best!

Thanks for all of your encouraging responses! Don't get me wrong- I am using pain medication. I am just getting about 4 days out from surgery and am just looking ahead to when the pain won't be quite as breakthrough. I think I'm having most of the same struggles as everyone- choking down Protein Shakes and hoping for the best.

Congratulations on 4 years clean. Best thing is to talk to your doctor. I quit taking all pain meds the next morning after my surgery. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. He will know what is best for you. Stay clean :)

Congratulations on 4 years clean. Best thing is to talk to your doctor. I quit taking all pain meds the next morning after my surgery. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. He will know what is best for you. Stay clean :)

Cidmor:

How long after surgery until you began to feel like yourself? I too am trying to avoid pain meds and have been pretty good about it. I am curious if for most people it takes a week, 2 weeks, or longer until you start to feel normal again.

Cidmor:

How long after surgery until you began to feel like yourself? I too am trying to avoid pain meds and have been pretty good about it. I am curious if for most people it takes a week' date=' 2 weeks, or longer until you start to feel normal again.[/quote']

I didn't need pain meds but for me it took 4 weeks to feel normal . Then comes the constipation.. Ughh

I was sleeved on the 16th too. I am getting through it with the use of a heating pad on medium setting. Makes a world of difference for me.

Acupuncture.