Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did they give you to control your pain post op? how much did you get and did it help? I currently take vicodin daily for back problems and I am worried that I have built up a bit of a tolerance and am worried about the pain. Thanks in advance, having surgery september 30th.

They gave me vicodin. I cannot take codeine, or I would imagine this might be an option for some people as well. HOWEVER, I didn't really need the pain meds - honestly, the pain was not bad at all! Plain ol' tylenol probably would have been more than enough!

While in the hospital, I got iv Dilaudid. Worked ok. ON the 2nd day (just this past Wed), they encouraged me to add a little liquid vicodin to the mix, saying that it'll stick around longer than the Dilaudid. I also take daily opiotes (Talwin) to keep back pain at bay and I was worried about this also. Seemed to take effect like it's sposed to do. Today and yesterday were done with just liquid Vicodin and it's working ok, not great, but better than before I took it.

Good luck...

I would definitely let them know what medicines you are currently taking for pain, because my husband had emergency surgery several months ago and he takes medication for back pain as well, but they were unaware of it because of the emergency and he went without for more than 10 days. I would make sure that they know so they will be able to be prepared!

Morphin in the hospital, Lortab after. A child of the 60's, I knew how to work with the chemicals. Was sad when the script ran out. :rolleyes:

What did they give you to control your pain post op? how much did you get and did it help? I currently take vicodin daily for back problems and I am worried that I have built up a bit of a tolerance and am worried about the pain. Thanks in advance, having surgery september 30th.

I got a bottle of liquid hydrocodone. What a unicorn-filled week that was. :blink:

(kidding, I used the liquid hydrocodone for a week and was able to use liquid tylenol after that for pain)

Morphin in the hospital, Lortab after. A child of the 60's, I knew how to work with the chemicals. Was sad when the script ran out. :rolleyes:

i know right?

ah... on a related note, how does taking medication work? I take a daily antidepressant. How do you take your meds post op and do they absorb differently?

maybe Ill start a seperate thread about that one.

ah... on a related note, how does taking medication work? I take a daily antidepressant. How do you take your meds post op and do they absorb differently?

maybe Ill start a seperate thread about that one.

That is a good question, BirdMadGirl. I have no answers but that question sure deserves some. I would guess that the absorption is nearly the same as before but I could be way off base. I know the gastric bypass folks have malabsorption of some Vitamins but haven't heard whether meds are involved as well.

You're right. It does deserve a separate thread.

I'm on Effexor and my surgeon said it must be crushed After surgery. Well mine are capsules with little beads in them. They said post op I will have to open the capsule and put in Water or when I'm on puréed, put it in applesauce.

Should be interesting.

~~~Teri

Surgery next Monday. Had an appt. with the pharmacist at the surgery center this week. I'll have morphine in the hospital and Lortab elixir at home. As for my other meds (3 kinds for hb), I will crush them and mix them with my liquids. Everything I take can be crushed. Be sure to check with your doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using VST