Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!

I'm in the VERY beginning stages of this process; however I have tons of questions about excess skin after the surgery. I've seen pictures of several people that look as if they don't have any excess skin...then on the flip side I've seen pictures of people that tons of excess skin and have to contemplate plastic surgery.

Please share your experiences and thoughts!

So many variables involved: genetics, starting or highest BMI compared to amount of weight lost, age, diet/water, amount of resistance training, time passed since weight loss, gender, etc. I get asked this fairly often. I've had very little if any sagging skin issues and I can only speak for myself. What works for me may not work for others as our situations may differ. I get plenty of Water, lift a lot of weights (especially for my core) and it's also been close to a hear and a half since I lost the bulk of my weight. I really think time has helped me and the weight lifting....those are the two main factors for me. Plus, I've not lost as much weight as the typical sleever.

Hope this helps....

:)

excess skin after the surgery.

greenivy

age is usually an important factor, the condition you were in pre-WLS - and how much weight you have to lose

i was 57 when i had my WLS

i had alot of excess skin while losing weight

i was pleasantly surprised that my skin "tightened" up a lot, so i don't have as much excess skin :)

it was really bad between my legs, and rear end :angry:

now its soooooo much better :)

don't know how to say this properly, so excuse my words.............

i never had "rolls" around my tummy et al

so lose skin was not bad around tummy

good luck next month

speedy recovery

kathy

Hello everyone!

I'm in the VERY beginning stages of this process; however I have tons of questions about excess skin after the surgery. I've seen pictures of several people that look as if they don't have any excess skin...then on the flip side I've seen pictures of people that tons of excess skin and have to contemplate plastic surgery.

Please share your experiences and thoughts!

Hi! I've had two monster kids- so- I knew my belly would require some work. However other than that- I'm perfectly content and have very little sagging skin to speak of. My thighs are decent- not perfect- but I don't think anyone would ever go oh honey you need a thigh lift. My upper arms are decent. I wear sleeveless. I will get a TT at some point though.

post-44833-13813667845026_thumb.jpg

Doctor wants me to wait 18 months and by then i'll be 67 so will see what the apron looks like! Have that because of previous surgeries.

I'm not far enough out to see anything sagging (due to the sleeve at least) yet. However this was and is a concern for me. I thought about this a lot pre-op.

What kind of sealed the deal for me was when one of the Vets told another newbie (parapharasing) "No one ever sees someone walking down the street and says WOW, that's a lot of sagging skin, but they do say WOW that's a lot of weight/fat". That got me to thinking, better to have sagging skin than 100s of lbs of extra weight.

I've lost 90 pounds, I'm 35 pounds from goal and I have loose skin under my arms and inner tights. It's bad but not horrible or too extreme. I workout a lot and try to lift. Also the extra skin is nothing compare to the benefits from not carrying all the extra weight I used to carry.

My stomach area (and Chest) is where I carried a lot of weight most of my life. I did lose a lot of weight 180 lb) fast ( 7 months) and the stomach is the only area where I have loose skin. Not a lot of skin (I can pinch about .5 inch), but enough for it to be annoying because it is hiding my strong core muscles and 6 pack. I am presently a little over 1 year post op. Maybe this will improve with time, maybe it will not. I look awesome in clothes and even look fairly good without clothes on except for the stomach region. Everywhere else is muscular. I am so looking forward to a TT so this can be fixed. I believe that lots of working out, running, doing core workouts, eating clean and drinking Water like a race horse has contributed to skin almost being a non issue. Almost.

Thanks everyone for responding. Were any of you working out prior to having the surgery? I currently work out 3-4 times a week (I just can't seem to drop the weight) so...I'm wondering if this would help as well.

Any advice would be great!

I've lost 84lbs in 5 months and have noticed some excess skin on my inner thighs and arms. I think it looks awful but my wife said it's nice bad at all. I hope my working out will help tighten the skin. Any suggestions on what else I can do?

I worked out before surgery....probably 3-4 times a week. But I've stepped it up even more since surgery......now 5-6 times a week. I still think my body needs a rest day every week, so I try not to go more than 6 times a week. I do think exercise has played a key role in my lack of saggy skin.

I worked out at Water aerobics but nit walking cuz of my knee and feet!! Can walk much further but not the exercise of my choice!!

Have lost 80 pounds since my highest weight in October... Surgery was Nov. lots of loose skin! Not sure it will be covered as my sleeve wasn't and it's Medicare guidelines.?!! Anyone on Blue Cross Medicare Advantage know???

greenivy

age is usually an important factor' date=' the condition you were in pre-WLS - and how much weight you have to lose

i was 57 when i had my WLS

i had alot of excess skin while losing weight

i was pleasantly surprised that my skin "tightened" up a lot, so i don't have as much excess skin :)

it was really bad between my legs, and rear end :angry:

now its soooooo much better :)

don't know how to say this properly, so excuse my words.............

i never had "rolls" around my tummy et al

so lose skin was not bad around tummy

good luck next month

speedy recovery

kathy[/quote']

Your post gives me hope!!!!! My husband is in the medical field and he tells me a lot of it is genetics, however, skin does bounce back some, you just have to give your skin time and moisture (lotions, and potions) and exercise.

Also reading posts like yours gives hope to my turkey waddle neck which is really bad since my weightloss, I am in my early 40's too early for turkey neck