Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for anyone that has gotten a DS after their VSG

I am researching the DS. I have gained backed 38lbs. I cannot gain another pound. I am struggling big time. I am gaining weight eating less than 1500 cals a day at this point. Eating 900 cals a day for so long must have ruined my metabolism. My restriction is ok, but I need more help.

I am not looking for people to tell me to eat Protein first then veggies.

I am looking for people with experience with the DS, or people that know people. Thanks!

I can't answer your question but I am curious, what is DS?

My friends had that. It's really tough on them regarding absorbing nutrients. What are you eating, how often are you eating, how much are you eating, what times are you eating, and what is your exercise regimen? I will be able to answer your question based on your reply. Have you followed the sleeve bible to the tee?

Is your weight truly 129? Is that a current picture of you? If it is, then you probably won't qualify for a DS. Are you sure you don't have an image disturbance? Remember the sleeve helps people lose 50-60% of over weight. The rest is up to you on clean, healthy eating, exercising regularly (minimum of 4 days a week cardio along with weight lifting to build, tone, and maintain muscle).

I worked with a lady who had DS surgery (she had the most restrictive surgery with a ring constricting food, and full bypassing of stomach) and she got down to a size 4 and still managed to balloon back up to a size 20/22+. She looks like she NEEDS surgery but has no more options.

Another lady at work had it done and lost a lot of weight but never hit goal and her weight has crept up too. She's a size 14/16

They are both long term people (I know short term who dropped to goal quick but I don't know where they will be in 5-10 years)

Both of the above mentioned had and still have issues eating, get tick sick and with dumping.

Is your weight truly 129? Is that a current picture of you? If it is, then you probably won't qualify for a DS. Are you sure you don't have an image disturbance? Remember the sleeve helps people lose 50-60% of over weight. The rest is up to you on clean, healthy eating, exercising regularly (minimum of 4 days a week cardio along with weight lifting to build, tone, and maintain muscle).

Guessing the op put back 38 from this picture, which brings her approaching 170 And a BMI of around 30 which is why she is stressing.

To the op- what does your doctor say about the gain? I feel your pain. That level of calories shouldn't have you gaining weight.

Guessing the op put back 38 from this picture, which brings her approaching 170 And a BMI of around 30 which is why she is stressing.

To the op- what does your doctor say about the gain? I feel your pain. That level of calories shouldn't have you gaining weight.

Exactly! I am betting I will reach 170 in the morning! ugh!!!

I have an appointment next week to discuss this, that's why I am trying to learn about peoples experiences!

I feel for you and glad you are reaching out. If you had your surgery in the states have you seen your surgeon. One of my fellow SoCal VSG members only lost 30 lbs total and went in to check her metabolism & thryroid.

Bottom line, problem with both. I want to encourage you to find answers and share with us what you are able to determine. Hugs.

Ask your doctor about doing a juice cleanse for however long you can manage it. I would try that before getting DS surgery. The cleanse will clean you out, reboot your system and help you shed pounds crazy fast. With your smaller capacity from vsg, you should feel full enough to do it. The nutrient rich blends will be good for your body overall.

I was looking into it about a month ago but I'm not even a year post op and I figured I didn't give the surgery long enough to work. I found most of my info by googling "vsg to DS" and found tons of info from people who've went down that route. The level of malabsorption scares me especially since I'm only 28 and plan to live for many years and this would mean tons of Vitamins for at least the next 50 yrs. Good Luck with whatever you decide :)

I feel for you and glad you are reaching out. If you had your surgery in the states have you seen your surgeon. One of my fellow SoCal VSG members only lost 30 lbs total and went in to check her metabolism & thryroid.

Bottom line, problem with both. I want to encourage you to find answers and share with us what you are able to determine. Hugs.

Thank you!!!!!

It is a valid option. I find all of the fear mongering on here interesting as this is the same attitude that typical thin people give to people with any WLS. Don't we know better than to say "my way is the only way" by now?

Ok...170 is not so detrimental! I'm at 168-172 and have been stalled there for about 3 months. Not a big deal. So you will have to draw the line and start over. If you email me at trauma_flight_rn911@hotmail.com I will send you the sleeve bible(s) & Mexico Trip Tips (has 6 videos, 2012 research, etc). It has tips for pres-sleeve and post sleeve expectations.

Also, there is a book you may considered reading called: Second Edition The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery.

You need to stop eating CRACK food. (Do not DENY this and say you're eating healthy because, I know better). This is not a judgement, I CARE!

Denial means: Don't even know I'm a liar.

Continuing: You know what I mean...if it's white it ain't right. Yes, LOL I can say that cause I'm white. LOL Anyways, that means, no bread, no rice, no Pasta, no wheat/flour,chips, no potatoes, etc. No refined sugars: candy, Cookies, donuts...you can probably fill in more than what I've mentioned.

Now, what you can eat. Yes, Protein (fish, chicken, turkey, and occasionally red meat (depending on your blood type). If you have O blood, then you can eat red, lean meat.

Protein shakes and Protein Bars (high Protein, low sugars, low carbohydrates) will be your best friend. I can give you an aweome receipe (yes I add fruit; however when you start WORKING OUT again, you will need this natural sugar).

No coffee, soda, or anything with caffeine. This increase cortisol levels in your body (which you create from when you're stressed) and retains abdominal fat.

Veggies (avoid corn, carrots, peas) for now-high in sugar. You need Fiber to avoid Constipation.< /p>

Regarding Protein powder. I use high protein (one scoop 39+ protein, 9 carbs, 2 sugars). The particular Protein Powder I use has higher Vitamins and minerals than your regular popular brands because I use the stuff that amature & professional fighters use to cut weight. It also has the ingredients that help you not retain Fluid (Water weight, so you build lean muscle mass).

Now for the workout. You can not avoid this. So, I'm guessing currently you're not doing any CONSISTENT workout. That's ok...not judging.

This is my blog from gastricsleeve.com (I've been on this site for almost a year).

Welcome visitors,

I've been asked questions regarding exercising before and after being sleeved to help tone.

PRIOR TO STARTING TO WORKING OUT, YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS: Stop eating the crack food (high carbohydrates, sugars, sodas, chips, candy, bread, etc).

START: High, clean protein (lean meats/protein shakes), vegetables.

Water, WATER, WATER...do don't forget the WATER!

You will need to work out 4 days (minimum and consistently!) It doesn't have to be 4 days in a row...just make sure it's 4 out of 7 or more. That is what is going to make significant difference and have noticable results quickly! You will want to start with light weights (light enough so you don't struggle, but not so light that it doesn't seem you are working your muscles. I don't want you to go into "muscle fatigue" in the second set, that will tell you the weight is too heavy. You will start with 15 repitions 3 sets.

BEGINNERS: you will want to do the 3 sets of 15 repititions for the first THREE MONTHS.

FOR PEOPLE WHO WORK OUT REGULARLY: After about 3-4 weeks, when the weight seems pretty easy, then you'll increase to 4 sets of 15 repititions. When that seems to get easy, increase the weight going back to 15 reps/3 sets.

Prior to surgery: You can do forearms, abdominal, and calves exercises daily. Remember to workout two separate body parts per day IE tricepts and back, or biceps and chest, or shoulders and legs (calves/hamstrings, Glutes/quads another day. Do not workout hamstrings, quads, and calves all in one day).

Do not workout triceps and biceps or back and chest on the same day. It will take too long and be tough on your body. Oh do not forget to stretch! You will want to do a minimum of 10 minutes cardio. Stretch back by a foam roller, a tool to assist with stretching. It's awesome. Have someone show you how to use it. Dont' roll your body over it, move the roller down. Hopefully, you'll know what I'm saying. You will want to stretch before and after your exercise workouts! This will help you not be sore the next day, feel energiezed, and not hurt yourself.

After surgery: You'll have to wait to do any abdominal exercises. You may be able to use the eliptical and take it easy for a few weeks (ask your surgeon when you can start exercising). You will need to wait until your incisions are completely healed prior to doing water exercise. I hope that helps. Just go slow and do what you can after your surgery, but generally, your arms, legs, chest, and back may be ok to workout (follow the above plan of prior surgery when you are medically clear to do full exercise).

I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to offer additional suggestions so I can pass them along as well as feedback to let me know what works best for you!

I know this was a long post, but I believe this will be helpful for whoever chooses to make the best choices for themselves.

With love, friendship & fellow sleever!

Sincerely,

Jen