Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any have a hole in your diaphragm?

Anyone ever heard of the surgeon finding a hole in the diaphragm? My sleeve was done July 3rd and I went in knowing that the surgeon planned to repair my Hiatal hernia and remove my gallbladder at the same time. He show us pictures of the baseball size hole he found in my diaphragm, A diaphragmatic hernia. He used a "cows heart membrane" that was available to him that day to seal the hole. How cool is that?

Wow !!! That's amazing

No, never knew that I had it? The surgeon said it was congenital, sounds like its life threatening in a infant but somehow my lungs developed normally spite of it? They had to tell this story to me 3 times in pre-op because I thought I was dreaming.

Anyone ever heard of the surgeon finding a hole in the diaphragm? My sleeve was done July 3rd and I went in knowing that the surgeon planned to repair my Hiatal hernia and remove my gallbladder at the same time. He show us pictures of the baseball size hole he found in my diaphragm' date=' A diaphragmatic hernia. He used a "cows heart membrane" that was available to him that day to seal the hole. How cool is that?[/quote']

I had one too! Only I found out after I woke up

I'm still preop, but they found my hiatal hernia in the endoscopy......I was wondering what they would use to seal it....I had seen a you tube video of a surgery repairing a HH, and they used something from a pig.......kind of creepy and really cool at the same time

MissyJoy, me too! I miss-typed they had to tell me 3 times POST-OP. crazy isn't it! He used a cow's heart membrane to seal it. Of course the first question is where did you get that from? Are they normal hospital inventory? LOL! But the surgical rep was in the hospital that day and had one, really?

The first words my surgeon said when I woke was, " you made me work hard for this one, three hours later you got hiatal hernia repair, your gall bladder full of stones removed, repair to the large hole in your diaphragm and your new sleeve!" I said, uh thanks! LOL

Me too. My entire stomach actually passed through the diaphragm and moved above my heart. My whole stomach was in mychest between my boobs. No wonder I started throwing up before surgery. I hear once it gets there it can twist and then you have to have emergency surgery. My doc used absorbable mesh on both sides of my diaphragm to seal it up.

My surgeon found one in me also. Never knew I had it - but, my was fixed like a hernia. Your procedure sounds interesting!

Wow Malexa, that sounds dangerous! So glad we all got repaired vsggrandma! Doc said mine was covered by a chunk of fat and he moved it and found it. He had pictures of the repair with the chunk of fat secured back in place. I said, why didn't you remove that too! LOL

My surgeon uses that cow membrane thing on all his sleeve patients to prevent leaks. I was pretty grossed out. Haha

Patty, with my h. Hernia he just need a couple of stitches. Do you have a date yet?

Still in the preop phase w/o a date.....BUT the insurance co. is asking for more information from the surgeon since opening my case for VSG....and included is a request for a surgery date.....I'm hopeful this week we'll have a tentative date on the calendar (dependent upon Ins. approval, of course)....I think I'd be a nut case if it wasn't for VST members and sharing their experiences.