Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow! Dr. Aceves was my surgeon. I don't even know what to think.

Georgia, I hope things are ok when you get home... love the pic of you on the beech... wish I was sat there too!

Pretty disturbing about Susan's post... not comfortable reading for anyone who might be involved!

second fast day completed today - all good! Had a low cal day yesterday too... my appetite seems to have gone at the moment, so I am going to take full advantage of that. Might be because my sinuses are really playing me up!

sarsar, I wish they would tell more specifically what he did "wrong". Am I remembering correctly that Aceves did really small sleeves? I know that is a risk factor for some of the things they mentioned, but I could not frankly tell what the actual error was based on the post.

Here is the hard cold truth - people do have longer term complications from bariatric surgery. Aceves has done hundreds and hundreds of surgeries, i don't know that it means that he does them "wrong" - but rather that he is a high visibility, high volume, well known foreign doc.

I remember a couple of years ago there was a rather vocal person on this site that had a leak after surgery at the practice I went to. According to her they were practically the devil... did everything wrong... lied to her, were incompetent etc etc. I cannot tell you how opposite my experience was so I take these rants with a grain of salt. If I have complications a year from now, i might suddenly hate my surgeon too.

Yes I agree Sheryl. I sent Susan a fb pm to ask her more specific questions. I'm not creaking out or anything just trying to learn the facts and see if there is anything I need to watch out for.

Did mean to send that yet. I'm getting used to a new phone. I meant to say I'm not freaking out.

The thing that bothers me the most about what was posted is that she is saying dr. Aceves lied about the patient that died. When that was first posted by another member months ago I didn't know how I felt about it. I contacted dr Aceves to find out his side of the story. He did indeed say that it was a health condition that wasn't told to him. To find out that is a lie is very disheartening .

So far my surgery has been a success. I am noticing lately that I seem to have more reflux by nighttime although I know this happens to a lot of sleeve patients.

<p>sarsar, I wish they would tell more specifically what he did "wrong". Am I remembering correctly that Aceves did really small sleeves? I know that is a risk factor for some of the things they mentioned, but I could not frankly tell what the actual error was based on the post.</p> <p> </p> <p>Here is the hard cold truth - people do have longer term complications from bariatric surgery. Aceves has done hundreds and hundreds of surgeries, i don't know that it means that he does them "wrong" - but rather that he is a high visibility, high volume, well known foreign doc.</p> <p> </p> <p>I remember a couple of years ago there was a rather vocal person on this site that had a leak after surgery at the practice I went to. According to her they were practically the devil... did everything wrong... lied to her, were incompetent etc etc. I cannot tell you how opposite my experience was so I take these rants with a grain of salt. If I have complications a year from now, i might suddenly hate my surgeon too.</p>

As far as Aceves doing small sleeves... I don't remember that being the case. I don't even remember what size mine was done . I know I asked but he wasn't one that went small just to make it small.

l love my sleeve and I would really hate to find out later on down the road that it wasn't done right.

I know when I went down there for my PS , I had dr. campos do a scope on me to see if everything looked okay. I don't have an acid problem unless I forget my medication.

I don't take acid meds but I know that could happen to any of us.

So, even about the lying. Let's be perfectly honest here, none of us really knows the situation. I think Mexican docs are less risk averse because they don't have the lawsuit thing hanging over their heads. The devil is in the details and we will likely never really know the whole situation. I am very sorry for Susan and Irene and I would be pissed as hell too - don't get me wrong - but I am still not convinced it makes him a bad surgeon who does things wrong. It's easy to dogpile on all Mexican docs but he has likely done thousands of these - certainly many people on this board - so it is unclear to me if his bad/complication rate is any worse than a center of excellence surgeon in the usa. I am not defending him, I am just saying it is pretty hard to know the whole story.

5:2 has gone out if the widow for the next couple of weeks.

The movers came yesterday and everything has gone except for what our buyers wanted. Exchange of contracts finally took place today, completion is tomorrow and then they can have the keys.

Off to the seaside for four days ( holiday here in UK on Monday) then staying with friends for a week and then into the new house on 13 May, feeling excited about it all.

I just need to keep the weight on an even keel.

5:2 has gone out if the widow for the next couple of weeks. The movers came yesterday and everything has gone except for what our buyers wanted. Exchange of contracts finally took place today, completion is tomorrow and then they can have the keys. Off to the seaside for four days ( holiday here in UK on Monday) then staying with friends for a week and then into the new house on 13 May, feeling excited about it all. I just need to keep the weight on an even keel.

Whoo hoo, Cathy! Glad it all finally was accomplished. Have fun (as I am NOW) at the seaside!!! It will all be waiting on you when you return. :)

I assume you've all seen by now Alex responded to the thread and closed it. Don't blame him. I realize Susan is in bad shape and stroking out, rightly so. I do feel Alex is above board on everything and have never seen anything or questioned his judgement on management of this site. As said earlier, the Dr was highly recommended and has completed thousands of successful surgeries. Who can really know what will happen in any given day? I know it makes me think MUCH more about the "what ifs" for future of me and my sleeve. I, thankfully, have no symptoms unless I abuse it. :(

Not locked, I think he deleted it.

Once again, I think it is a bit over the top to dogpile on the evils of Mexico, but I guess you guys know that I have a different view of all that. I liked Irene's response - she acknowledged it really wasnt clear if it was surgical error or just simply "long term" complications. And this guy has done ALOT of surgeries, should it be so astounding that there are a few complications. I think that is most instructive to actually discuss our long term risk factors and I wish we could have had a more intelligent discussion about that because many of us relative newbies are learning from the people further out. I wold like to have a clearer picture of my risk for these issues!

My memory is terrible but i really thougth Aceves did smaller sleeves - at least back in the day. I recall this because I remember being worried that I had too big of a sleeve...haha... the things we stress over.

I have decided I am going to see my surgeon sometimes this year even though i am officially graduated out of their program - although he made it very clear that I should stay in touch if I wanted to. I have a nagging worry about my recent unplanned/too good to be true weight loss. It is easy to blame it on my emotional issues... but really what comes first - a physical issue or an emotional one? Could they be related? I just have this niggling/nagging doubt I guess. I had given up on Vitamins and all sorts of things but I am back on track now taking better care of myself so thought i should see him in a few months and get updated blood work etc.
I am doing pretty well overall. I feel like I am understanding myself clearer. You know what - I am lonely. I have spent my whole life in the center of almost ***too much*** human activity and now I find myself fairly isolated due to a lot of factors. I got such a charge out of a few recent events at work where I am actually in front of people. I miss it. I am an extrovert apparently and I feel like a form of nourishment has been cut off. I miss being touched, talked to and interacted with at the level that I want.
I think I have had the mindset that I need to be more "sorted out" before addressing these needs but I recently decided the hell with it. I make the analogy to my plastic surgery scars, in some areas they are basically fully healed and invisible but some spots are still red and even a bit of numbness/nerve endings. It can 2 years for those scars to heal and I am only 6 months out. That pretty well describes my emotional state - a work in progress. My counselor cheered when I told her "screw it, I am never gonna be at some sort of perfect state so I am gonna seek a companion NOW even though I at times feel like a bit of a mess. I don't need someone, but I am lonely at times and want someone to spend time with!". I figure as long as I am honest, it is up to the poor sucker I pick to decide if he can handle it or not...haha. The reason I have failed at dating is because I have held back - not really been that open to the possibilities. That has shifted inside and I feel it!
Cathy, wish I was joining you on holiday. Have a fab time!!! So glad the house stuff is all sorted too.
So, you know I like these British TV shows... weird, I know! Love "Call the Midwife" and sucked up the first 2 seasons on Netlfix recently! What a sweet show...

I love Call the Midwife too. It was on the TV on a Sunday night and it was light, nice viewing before all the stresses and strains of life and work on Monday.

Georgia, I forgot to mention before that I love the pic of you on the beach! You are adorable, I wish I could give you a big hug. I will one day when we meet when I'm on my way to Texas.

Cathy, hope all goes well in the upcoming weeks. Don't worry about 5:2. I would just try and be mindful of what you're eating. Sometimes during stressful situations that's all you can do. I hope you post some pics of your new house when you get the keys.

Florinda, we haven't heard from you. What is your status? Are you still in Germany? Please let us know how you are.

Sheryl, I agree with what you are saying. Surgeons do thousands of these surgeries and there will be complications. I'm still waiting to hear from her as to why she believes Dr. A botched the surgery. Maybe he did, you never know. It can happen here and in Mexico. I saw the link A posted about her condition. That is something that can happen to anyone. I would like to know what specifically Dr. A did that made this happen. That's really what I'm interested in knowing. If he is doing something wrong then I would like to know so I can get it taken care of or watch for it in the future. Like I said before, what really bothers me is that Dr. A may have lied about what happened to the patient that passed away. I don't know if he did. I know when it was talked about on the board months ago that I looked into the situation. Since then, I haven't recommended anyone personally to go to Dr. A. This is because I have been on these boards long enough to know the craziness that goes on between coordinators in Mexico and I know that I wouldn't ever know the truth. I was stunned when I first heard about it because I had a deep respect for Dr. A and his team. My experience there was wonderful. Anyway, those are just my thoughts on the situation. I know that Dr. A did say that we should go once a year and get a scope to make sure that everything was ok and working properly. I have never done that because I haven't had any issues.