Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bad/sad what 2 medical people said to me!

oh, oh, more have written while i was replying - not forgetting you guys - thanx for being great too and responding :)

kathy

That is really sad they would say that...they of all people, should be encouraging it staying off.

It looks like us sleevers need to work extra hard to change those statistics and prove them all wrong!

:rolleyes:

You can have pedigree papers to attest to the high grade of hog you have but the thing is still a pig. An educated jerk is still a jerk and jerkisms will come out of it's mouth.

Also, education in one area does not cover ignorance in another. Your medical people are showing no more smarts than the common yokel on the streets.

Proud Grammy I'm so sorry to had to experience an unprofessional ignorant person. I believe KARMA will take care of you while you continue to be skinny and proving her wrong! You rock that sleeve and that beautiful body of yours......:P

If you were a cancer patient and 2 years into remission - would they tell you that it will likely come back??? NO! The medical profession still has a long way to go in terms of acceptance and understanding of bariatric surgery. Personally - I think it is a personal bias that certain individuals have in addition to a major lack of understanding of the physiological and psychological issues associated with WLS.

You should be proud of your success, and they, as health care professionals, should be proud of you too and want to encourage you! I really think weight loss causes most people to be jealous. Especially if they see you doing well. Most people want to see others fail at trying to lose weight.

The dietician at my surgeons office told me that only a small percentage of people in their practice have gained 'some' weight back. And have an on-going study over the past few years to deterimine why that small group gains some weight back. They don't have all the results yet, but it boils down to them eating all the 'wrong' foods (high fat/calories) and enough of that, even in small quantities, will cause weight gain.

If you were a cancer patient and 2 years into remission - would they tell you that it will likely come back??? NO! The medical profession still has a long way to go in terms of acceptance and understanding of bariatric surgery. Personally - I think it is a personal bias that certain individuals have in addition to a major lack of understanding of the physiological and psychological issues associated with WLS.

My urologist and lead doctor on my prostate cancer treatment was a major cheerleader for cancer. Even when treatment showed vast improvement he only gave me 2 years to live, (that was in 2009). My cheerful attitude seemed to bother him and he did his best to turn me depressed. I can still remember his Bela Lugosi face telling me that cancer was sure to kill me. He was not in favor of my WLS either saying it was "too hard on the body". I thought, "What do you care, Dracula, a fat corpse or a skinny one, what's the difference to you?"

post-20464-13813667765124_thumb.png

God knows my check-out time.

Whoa Kathy, thats horrible! Dont you love that you come up with the best responses way after you have left the presence of the rude person? Im sure there are a million things you would like to say now. Save them up for when you have to go back. Your justice will be showing them that are dead wrong when it comes to you my dear. You are a champion and not only working that sleeve like a boss but you are the best cheerleader for all of us and we all love you so much.

That is ugly. My Dr. told me that I had done so well the first year she knew I would be a long term success. I hope to prove her right as time goes by!

When someone tells me that, I tell them "Yes, some people do gain the weight back but WLS has the highest long term success rate of any method for controlling weight."

Lynda

A friend said that to me and I told her what my surgeon told me. You may experience some weight gain while trying to figure out your maintenance. Whether you do and how much is entirely in your control. I told her that I am in control and she shouldn't bother worrying about it. You go Kathy. We all know you are strong!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

...She even told me that if she were in charge of my Psych eval., she would tell them to deny me...

My therapist said the same thing to me two weeks before my surgery. At our next session I confronted her about how much this bothered me. I had thoroughly done my research, been through four months of residential treatment for binge eating disorder, and my mindset was the best it had ever been. My body just kept gaining weight. I knew I was ready and would have had the procedure the day I learned about it if I could have! She was convinced that because of my history of emotional eating I would fail. I told her that her statement made me feel judged and gave me the impression that she either didn't understand me or didn't believe me when I said I knew there was much work ahead. I then proceeded to elaborate all the work that was ahead and my willingness to do it, clarifying that I understood the sleeve is a tool not a solution. By the end of the session, she took back what she had said.

She was one of only six people I told before having the surgery. Despite her retraction, it was devastating to hear her say that to me in the first place.

Rox, just read the comments your "therapist" made to you. Time to report her. Time to take names. Okay, she applied through the state as a THERAPIST. She didn't get a license to be critical and cruel. Enough with that. Get your surgery, then go get her. My two cents....