Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm on all Protein shakes for fourteen days. Today is my fourth. I just wish i could have chicken broth or something salty.

Try one of the chicken Soup Protein supplements. I've been using unjury. It's really not bad, though it is really, really salty. If that's what you're craving, though, I'm sure it would satisfy. I also found that since you drink/eat/whatever it warm, you get a little bit more satisfying sensation from consuming it. www.unjury.com. I think there are a couple other brands that do a chicken Soup Protein powder as well, but I'm not sure which ones off the top of my head.

Good luck to all of you struggling with the pre-op! I'll be there in a couple weeks myself. I'm working on strategy right now...

My doctor was very blunt. Love this guy. We reviewed my test results and he said I have a fatty liver, and in order to do the surgery and to be safe the 13 day day diet is to bring down the fat content fast.

So I will have a 1000 calorie a day diet using slimfast, with the options to have SF Jello or unsweetened applesauce as Snacks.

I am a self pay and have to do a 10 day pre-op liquid diet my Dr does his by BMI any patient with a BMI of 39 or higher has to do a pre-op diet and the higher your BMI is the longer pre-op diet you have. I am not looking forward to mine either. Stay strong you can do it :)

My surgeon's practice has a few different pre-op diets they use. What they tell you is determined by BMI. The higher the BMI, the longer they require an all liquid diet. My BMI dropped from 39 to 36 in the past six months. So I have to do a two week pre-op - first week is 2-3 shakes a day plus a meal (not Chinese buffet - docs own words. Apparently some patients think they can drink their shakes And then go to the buffet for their one meal.). Starting Tuesday I will go to full liquids and then Clear Liquids next Sunday for my surgery on Monday.

I have surgery on the 1st of August, my nutrition class isn't until the 15th of this month so i guess that's when I will learn exactly what this pre-op diet will be for me. I know it's two weeks. Honestly, it's been the thing I have worried about the most so far! I'm dreading it!!

I just don't understand why some have to have a pre op diet and some don't. Why?? It is day 4 and it is so hard!!!! Urrrrr!!!

Perhaps this will help: The pre-op diet is NOT a punishment ... it's an opportunity.

Personally, if I had to do it all over again I'd demand to do the 2 week preop diet as well. Why? Yes, the first four days were horrible - I asked the same question you did above and I seem to remember wanting to sue someone! :lol: On top of everything you're dealing with, I had allergy symptoms that would not go away. But I woke up on day 5 and the world didn't suck. I didn't feel miserable, the headaches were gone, and I didn't feel like I was going to die of starvation. What I didn't realize until later is that this prepared me for life after surgery.

Yes there people who get to eat what they want until the last minute. Imagine them dealing with recovery AND what you're dealing with right now. I wouldn't trade places with them.

I have a pre op diet that is basically the same as stage one and two after surgery with different Protein Drinks. I had to start 10-14 days before and I've been on it for 8 days now. The diet doesn't bother me until someone is eating something that I binged on a lot. I'm glad I had a pre op diet like this so I know what to expect after surgery. I have lost almost 20 pounds on the diet so far and go in for surgery on the 8th

It is to shrink the liver. If you notice the longer diets usually are not just liquid. It is the stricter diets that are shorter. It is a trade off. Also we all have different bmi's..and that might be part of the reason for the difference.

I start my 7 day preop on wednesday.

Not for everyone. My per op diet was only skim milk 3 times a day for 3 weeks. I did really well my first week, ok on my second week and then cheated almost once a day in the third week. BTW I hate milk so I knew this would be hard. I did lose 17lbs so it was worth it and I was really ready for the post op diet. I couldn't wait for a Protein shake. Lol my surgeon said his pre op diet isn't just for wls patients, it's the same diet they give to any one have abdominal surgeries. Good luck to everyone, do your best it will be worth it.

Dont feel bad, my pre op diet is 4 weeks. I am on day 6 so far and craving carbs like u wouldn't believe. I can and will be strong

I started my Pre-op diet on July 4. Talk about being miserable at a family gathering. My surgery is set for July 17.

It's there for a reason - to shrink your liver to make it easier for your surgeon to do the surgery. Some smaller patients don't have a fatty liver and don't have to do one. Some surgeons seem to think they are God and can work around a fatty liver. If you're told to do one, do it. It will be best for you in the end. And my opinion, if you can't stick out the pre-op diet, you may want to reconsider what you're getting yourself into.

Perhaps this will help: The pre-op diet is NOT a punishment ... it's an opportunity.

Personally' date=' if I had to do it all over again I'd demand to do the 2 week preop diet as well. Why? Yes, the first four days were horrible - I asked the same question you did above and I seem to remember wanting to sue someone! :lol: On top of everything you're dealing with, I had allergy symptoms that would not go away. But I woke up on day 5 and the world didn't suck. I didn't feel miserable, the headaches were gone, and I didn't feel like I was going to die of starvation. What I didn't realize until later is that this prepared me for life after surgery.

Yes there people who get to eat what they want until the last minute. Imagine them dealing with recovery AND what you're dealing with right now. I wouldn't trade places with them.[/quote']

I had to do 2weeks of low carbs. I wasn't a big fan, but glad I did it to help shrink my liver, lost 13 pounds and was a great way to prepare for after surgery! I can't even imagine NOT doing the pre op diet first! Cuz you HAVE to do it after surgery & it would suck going through all the withdraws of the bad food and having to start with just clear liquids! You will be happy you did it! I have had NO REGRETS so far. Just when I think "if I have to have one more clear liquid? " It was time to go to full liquids. Next I finally get some mushys!!! I was sleeved June 24th, 2013. Good luck and stay strong! You got this!