Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 5 weeks post op and can not drink Water. I have tried to flavor it, expensive bottled, and Crystal Light. When I drink them my stomach makes the hungry feeling and nausea hits me. I'm having problems staying hydrated. I am able to drink my Protein mixed with Sunny D without a problem. Can anyone give me some insight?

Did your doc give you some Zofran or other anti-nausea medication? That has helped me immensely with the queasies. While I was still in the hospital, I had Zofran in the IV, and a motion sickness patch behind my ear. Those totally resolved the horkiness for me.

Laura-ven posted a great explanation for why Water sits SO hard on our new sleeves; I'll try to find it and cross post it here.

Another helpful trick, besides flavoring the Water (I'm sipping at a teacup full of spring water that I dosed with Torani Coconut sugar-free Syrup, and it goes down great)--if the flavoring doesn't help, try this. Draw a small sip between your lips, and hold it in your mouth for a moment--don't swallow right away.

While holding on to the sip, exhale through your nose. This takes most of the air in your mouth and throat out of the equation, and leads to much less bubblegurgles. When you swallow that way, you'll notice it is a much quieter swallow. Less air, less ouchie!

Here's the post from Laura-ven, she's quoting another forum member:

Ok this is from member maharet111 I always like her answer so I copy and paste it to these questions.

Okay a little science here as told to me by my surgeon. Water has a high surface tension, meaning that its barrier to allow it to be broken down is hard. Think of a steel paper clip that floats on the surface. Now your stomach is like the size of a coffee stirrer at this point due to swelling etc. because of the high surface tension it is hard sometimes for the Water to be absorbed and gets kind of backed up if that makes sense. So when you dilute Water or mix it with something if breaks that high tension and thus can be absorbed faster. Not everyone experiences it but it is one of those side effects that can happen.

Some drinks make me feel immediately sick. I tend to drink herbal tea alot because I can handle warm. I can no longer handle cold which is surprising because that was the only way I could handle it before.

Some drinks make me feel immediately sick. I tend to drink herbal tea alot because I can handle warm. I can no longer handle cold which is surprising because that was the only way I could handle it before.

I tolerate different temperatures on a varying basis throughout the day. In the AM, it must be room temp. Mid day, I can do ice cold. Evening, refrigerator cold is OK, but no ice. It's weird.

I tolerate different temperatures on a varying basis throughout the day. In the AM, it must be room temp. Mid day, I can do ice cold. Evening, refrigerator cold is OK, but no ice. It's weird.

Maybe it's your stomach gearing up and then settling back down. :D Some days I can't handle propel Water at all and other days I can drink 4 of them.

There are some things you can buy at the pharmacy that will help thicken your Water. I saw them at HEB grocery store here in Texas. Im sure other pharmacies might carry them, just ask the pharmaciest and they can help you find it. The one I used was a flavorless powder and it made a tremendous difference. I also used propel water, its enhanced with Vitamins and minerals and to me it has like maybe an oil in it. It goes down really well without that sharp pain you get from plain water. Good luck I hope this helped you in some way.

I'm eight weeks post op and have the same problem. Ice cold Water with a squeeze of lemon or lime works for me. My doctor also recommend prolisec to help with my ongoing nausea.

Here's the post from Laura-ven, she's quoting another forum member:

Ok this is from member maharet111 I always like her answer so I copy and paste it to these questions.

Okay a little science here as told to me by my surgeon. Water has a high surface tension, meaning that its barrier to allow it to be broken down is hard. Think of a steel paper clip that floats on the surface. Now your stomach is like the size of a coffee stirrer at this point due to swelling etc. because of the high surface tension it is hard sometimes for the Water to be absorbed and gets kind of backed up if that makes sense. So when you dilute Water or mix it with something if breaks that high tension and thus can be absorbed faster. Not everyone experiences it but it is one of those side effects that can happen.

Thanks for posting this. It makes it easier to understand, now. I, too, am having trouble with plain water. I'm 4 weeks out. I have just been adding Crystal Light, or drinking Crystal Light iced tea or pink lemonade to get my fluids in.

Thank you for all the information! It makes sense, and I am going to try the suggestions. And yes....I'm on omeprozole twice a day but doesn't seem to matter when I drink. Happy 4th everyone!

I am 6 months out and some days Water just doesn't sit well. I try to follow, at a minimum, the following guidelines:

2 glasses of Water upon rising (small sips) - rehydrates your internal organs;

1glass 1/2 hour before a meal - helps with digestion;

1glass before getting in the shower or tub - lowers blood pressure; and

1 glass before bed - helps prevent heart attack or stroke.

Usually has to be room temperature and some days it needs to be flavored. Sometimes it has to be green tea.

Victoria, Sleeved 19 Nov 2012