Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buyers remorse anyone?

Buyers remorse when good food is around that I can't eat! I love to Cook and feed others and this does help! I guess I live thru that lol. Best decision I ever made for me. I want to be around for my kids and husband. I want to enjoy life and do all the things I couldn't do before. It's nice to paint my toes and even shave my legs without cutting off my air! I love being able to buy clothes that are cheaper and not 4x! I have self confidence back and even started wearing makeup again. My legs and feet don't swell and I have better balance. I could go on for days. It's life changing and not always easy but what is.........

I highly recommend WW's too. I did it three times and lost weight. 50 pounds twice, 30 the third time around. Of course, just like with Medifast, Phen Fen, Atkins, seeing a nutritionist weekly who had some sort of plan where you only eat certain things on certain day and can only eat this with this and that with something else....I lost another 30 pounds. Before WLS, I should have weighed what I did when I was five years old. Oh, except every time I went back to eating normal and not counting points, or drinking two shakes on a 800 calorie a day, doctor supervised diet.....I gained it all back, and then some. Diets do not work unless you can do them for the rest of your life and with me, if I am hungry, starving....I'm going to eat. It's that simple. WLS is by far, the best decision I've ever made, it was life changing. Never in my wildest dreams could I have dreamt how exciting things could be. There is a lot of mental stuff, I STILL don't see "ME" like others do. I don't see the OLD me, but I don't see what others do. I "THINK" I eat a lot, in reality I do not. I "THINK" there is no way I can slip into a size four jeans. I can. The list is endless, but it's all small potatoes!

I definitely had remorse and the what in world did i do to myself moments, especially during my first month when I was having trouble with intake. It turned out that I had significant swelling that was causing all of my problems. Luckily, my doctors kept waiting, not wanting to scope me to increase my stomach size, because it healed on its own. Now, at almost 3 months out, I'm almost 60lbs down and feeling great! I'm still learning my sleeve, and learning the process that's best for me. Good luck and know that your life can change in amazing ways after surgery :)

I'm only 3weeks out and I had some days I regret it and afraid of what I did especially the first week , post op But I lost 20 lbs now and walking 3.5miles a day. Just started purée food and its helping. I'm grateful I have a very supported family and friends and encourage me to continue, I just need to increase on my Proteins intake I'm at 32 mg , can't wait to hit the soft food. Hang in there.

I do not have buyers remorse having surgery was the best thing that I could have ever done for myself. I'm down 88 pounds from my highest weight and I feel great. Yes, I go out with friends and want to have a drink with my meal and get frustrated. I wish I had done it years ago.

I like some others had a brief period in the first month when I was adjusting to my sleeved. I have lost huge amounts of weight (50-100lbs) during diet and exercise but always gained it back. I am down 74lbs since being sleeved on 2/19 and have no regrets. WLS is not easy or for everyone, but works for me. Best wishes.

4 months out here, no complications, and 75+ plus lbs gone...regret is very normal in the first few days and even weeks......There is a teeny tiny minority like myself who regret it & do not love their new way of life....I have truly regretted it the moment they wheeled me out......

Thank you for being candid....it's important for people considering VSG to know that some sleevers have regrets...otherwise we don't get a full spectrum of WLS patient experiences.....best wishes.

I am on this site several times a day trying to prepare for my upcoming surgery. I am seeing a lot of people talking about buyers remorse and it frankly scares me. There is no going back so if you had/have even a trace of buyers remorse how are you working through it? What was the cause of your buyers remorse? Does this fade away after a month or two post-op or do you still have it after several months?

I can honestly say that I NEVER had any remorse about this surgery. I feel like I was well prepared prior to surgery. I had no gas pains and the only thing that stressed me out after the surgery was that the liquid pain med had no refills! :o I weaned myself off so that I was only taking it at night to sleep. I slept in my bed immediately after home from surgery. I also started on soft food the first full day home (two days after surgery) as per my doctor's plan. I took two weeks off from work but could have gone back after the first week - but I'm glad I didn't.

i am three weeks post op today and i don't have any regrets. this was truly the best decision i have ever made. have there been some hard moments? yes! was i in terrible pain last week and had to have a ct scan? yes! am i just fine now? yes! can i shave my legs and paint my toe nails a lot easier already? yes! can i walk further and for a longer time already? yes! do i wish i had done this 5 yrs ago? yes! do i have any regrets? NO!!

I am 4 days out and have had two episodes of "what the hell did I do". I worked through them, day dreamed of the future and drank some Water. I know I was mentally and physically prepared for this but still there will always be those moments when I second guess myself and then realize there is no turning back. Then I sit here and read this site and all the success that people have had and are currently having and realize that I will look back at this hard month of my life and it will be worth it.

My biggest struggle is my postop diet. I have liquids for 3 weeks! I am only 4 days in and 3 weeks seems like a eternity. I see some started pureed the second day out. That makes me jealous!! :) I just want a bite of yogurt or something to chew.

Anyways the time will go fast as it always does. I have struggled with bootcamp, low calorie diets and no weight loss. I can do this!

I'm 7 weeks out now, and feel completely normal...other than the fact that I don't eat nearly as much as I used to. I can tolerate all foods now that I want to eat. Sometimes I eat something yummy and wish I could have more, but that's what got me fat to begin with. :)

Had a horrible day yesterday. Went "mental" on my diet....by which I mean I had a kid's dipped DQ cone and a McD's cheeseburger (which took me an hour to eat). Considering what I used to eat when I had a freak-out, I had to take a step back and stop punishing myself for that, though.

The part that upsets me was getting that wild "I have to eat now!" feeling. I haven't had that since before the surgery, and I guess I was hoping it was gone for good! And I was literally eating up to my discomfort point, and topping up every few minutes to get the most in, actively challenging the sleeve.

All I kept thinking was "What am i going to do if I let them remove my stomach, can never enjoy food again, and I still manage to make myself fat?"

Serious buyer's remorse, but much better now that I've taken a deep breath and realized it was a momentary blip.

(I think the behaviour was brought on by having my first big episode of people noticing my weightloss yesterday. One nurse hadn't seen me for months, and actually did a double take and stated "Oh my God, you look BEAUTIFUL!", and a very attractive but sort of creepy porter who's never had the time of day for me before gave me the up and down, and "How YOU doin'?" treatment.

I get used to being invisible. I know to the POUND at what point I stop being invisible to men. People start holding doors for you, making more eye contact, etc., and that has always been disconcerting when I've lost weight before. Now I'm well below that point for the first time in five years, and I'm getting double-takes and flirting, and it's VERY unnerving. I honestly assumed that I was so old now, that even if I lost weight, I wouldn't get that response. Getting too much attention has always caused me to panic and regain weight.

Plus, it makes me a little angry. I'm the same person I was before I went to Mexico, and I'm flipping fabulous and fun! Why didn't you realize that before???)

Anyhow, I had the remorse in a moment of panic, but I'm better now. And I resolve to have more Protein shakes today.

Had a horrible day yesterday. Went "mental" on my diet....by which I mean I had a kid's dipped DQ cone and a McD's cheeseburger (which took me an hour to eat). Considering what I used to eat when I had a freak-out, I had to take a step back and stop punishing myself for that, though.

The part that upsets me was getting that wild "I have to eat now!" feeling. I haven't had that since before the surgery, and I guess I was hoping it was gone for good! And I was literally eating up to my discomfort point, and topping up every few minutes to get the most in, actively challenging the sleeve.

All I kept thinking was "What am i going to do if I let them remove my stomach, can never enjoy food again, and I still manage to make myself fat?"

Serious buyer's remorse, but much better now that I've taken a deep breath and realized it was a momentary blip.

(I think the behaviour was brought on by having my first big episode of people noticing my weightloss yesterday. One nurse hadn't seen me for months, and actually did a double take and stated "Oh my God, you look BEAUTIFUL!", and a very attractive but sort of creepy porter who's never had the time of day for me before gave me the up and down, and "How YOU doin'?" treatment.

I get used to being invisible. I know to the POUND at what point I stop being invisible to men. People start holding doors for you, making more eye contact, etc., and that has always been disconcerting when I've lost weight before. Now I'm well below that point for the first time in five years, and I'm getting double-takes and flirting, and it's VERY unnerving. I honestly assumed that I was so old now, that even if I lost weight, I wouldn't get that response. Getting too much attention has always caused me to panic and regain weight.

Plus, it makes me a little angry. I'm the same person I was before I went to Mexico, and I'm flipping fabulous and fun! Why didn't you realize that before???)

Anyhow, I had the remorse in a moment of panic, but I'm better now. And I resolve to have more Protein shakes today.

Don't get angry, enjoy every double take, flirting etc. It's fun and I discovered, at age 53, no matter HOW OLD YOU ARE, you can always be the 'younger woman'. I had an old guy, my daddy's age openly, shamelessly, flirting with me at church. I was "greeting" and ended up with his undivided attention. Would I have had his attention prior.....who the hell knows, but it was fun/funny/cute now. Love it, love my marriage and husband, but it's fun to be noticed.

Get back on track, today is a new day. This is forever, not WW that will end and end up in regaining as soon as you go back to 'real life'. Hang in there!

I had remorse for about the first 6 weeks. I still hate not being able to just eat a normal meal. I am 2 months post op and havent figured it out yet. I'm losing slowly and hit a stall at the 3-4 week mark. Still don't know how to handle social situations or going out to eat. BUT I am only two months into this.

My advice, give yourself lots of time and be patient. Honestly, I think some, or even a lot, of my regret has to do with my inability to conquer the weight loss on my own without using such a drastic tool. I was embarrassed by my weight and am embarrassed I had to have this surgery.

Guess I'm my own worst enemy...which is how I got obese in the first place!

This has been very informative and I am thankful to all of you that posted. Today is my first day on this site and my surgery is a little over 2 months out. Super nervous!