Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever fear losing to much weight?

When i first started this journey i thought ok im 300 pounds now i think getting down to 180 would be good right? I still feel this way. The problem is i feel really skinny and people think that im about 150 or 160 pounds at the moment. Im not complaining because i feel better than ever.

Here's where the issue lies..... 7 months ago i was 300 pounds and i was about a 50 in the waist today i am 184 pounds and a 34 in the waist. I still have a couple of months before i get to my year. Im more than sure ill end up around 160 170. If i look like im about 160 now and im 180 what will i look like at 160 when i really do weigh 160?

Any body out there ever been worried about losing to much weight? Or actually lost more weight than anticipated? Dont get me wrong this is not me complaining or confessing regrets i love the new me i actually have muscles and abs! lol ....i just never wanted to be the skinny guy.

My bf thought that I would get too skinny, but I knew that my body would stop when it was ready and it has stopped. The closer you get to goal, weight loss slows way down. No fears, you will be just right. Good job btw! :)

I do not want to dismiss your very real question or upset you.

But please excuse me while I laugh my @$$ off for a moment!

Phew. Okay, now that my somewhat bitter giggles have subsided I'll chime in.

I wish I could have lost more than I wanted. I think that you'll find the number of people that get too small is much, much lower than the number of people tempted to chop off a limb to lose that last five or ten pounds to goal.

The good news? You really can stop losing whenever you like. You just transition into maintenance and a more balanced approach to eating with increased calories and carbs. You find what you can eat while not gaining or losing and you stick with that program. It's very easy, actually.

And being a man, you'll find it much easier to add bulk and muscle weight if you hit the gym harder than usual.

I also think that other people have no idea how to guess/estimate what another person weighs. I've heard everything from 120 to 160 for my weight (I'm 144 at the moment) and that's a pretty big range.

Stop where you're comfortable. If you get too small, trust me, it's easier than you want it to be to pack on a few pounds.

Congrats on your success - you've obviously worked hard to achieve your goal.

~Cheri

First of all, CONGRATS on your success! That is amazing! You must feel on top of the world!

I guess I'm not far along enough to have that thought cross my mind but I am guessing that the body will level off and find will go into a maintenance mode. You could probably encourage it a bit with adding some calories when you are happy with your weight.

Just a thought. I can't wait to find out though!

Congrats again, your success is very inspiring!

Thanks for your responses everyone. I never wanted to be skinny you know? I like being a nice athletic size. I just wanted to know if anyone else got much smaller than planned.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I never wanted to be skinny you know? I like being a nice athletic size. I just wanted to know if anyone else got much smaller than planned.

Said no woman ever!...... :P :P

Yep, I did. And was not happy with it. I began at 496lbs and am 5'10". I never imagined I would ever come close to 250, let alone where I am now. I was very fortunate and was down to 200lb at one year post op. I became so fixated on getting to a "normal" BMI, which for me would be 174lbs, that I just kept doing the things I had been to lose. I got down to 177. Woo Hoo me, right? Nope. I felt like crap, my joints hurt when jarred (like jumping down from a ladder) and I did not like how I looked, my face was way too thin for my comfort. My body fat was less than 9% which, per my DR was too low. So for the first time in my life I made a conscientious decision to gain weight. (How crazy is that!) I am now living my life in the weight range between 185 and 195 with a body fat between 12-14%. I feel great, look relatively good and can do all the activities at the level I want at this weight range. Can one lose too much? I believe they can. I do think that each individual needs to make the determination of their ideal weight range is based on their lifestyle and it should not be based on charts or what is "normal".

I don't think I'll have that problem this time but have in my adult life after having kids gotten my weight down to where I felt too skinny.

Had a hard time finding clothes to fit without going to the kids section, collar bones sticking out, etc... and was still in a normal weight range according to the charts. Go figure.

Congratulations on your success!!

When i first started this journey i thought ok im 300 pounds now i think getting down to 180 would be good right? I still feel this way. The problem is i feel really skinny and people think that im about 150 or 160 pounds at the moment. Im not complaining because i feel better than ever.

Here's where the issue lies..... 7 months ago i was 300 pounds and i was about a 50 in the waist today i am 184 pounds and a 34 in the waist. I still have a couple of months before i get to my year. Im more than sure ill end up around 160 170. If i look like im about 160 now and im 180 what will i look like at 160 when i really do weigh 160?

Any body out there ever been worried about losing to much weight? Or actually lost more weight than anticipated? Dont get me wrong this is not me complaining or confessing regrets i love the new me i actually have muscles and abs! lol ....i just never wanted to be the skinny guy.

I had a hard time stopping, I DID lose too much, my face started looking gaunt. I added calories back in via a couple of Snacks and gained ten or twelve pounds. I definitely lost more than I had anticipated, I'm very happy with the surgery and feel great!! I thought I'd be happy if I'd lose 50 - 60 lbs, who knew it would happen so quickly and easily??!!! I knew I could go lower, I knew I could get to a healthy BMI. I set a new goal, 5 pounds below my doctor's goal, and reached it in six months after surgery. I've been maintaining for 2.5 years!! There is a fine line between losing and maintaining, but you'll get the hang of it!!! Good luck!

loosing too much weight? what me worry? being too tall? ( i am 5'8"), too young? (57), too handsome? ( mirrors break-- that is why a cat is my avatar) I dont think so. I should have such problems. ^_^

check back in a year or two and with luck I will have to fight that battle.

I am also concerned about losing too much. I am very curvy and would like to keep some of my curviness. I am currently 157 lbs. and haven't set a goal weight because I just want to stay at whatever I feel good in. I am going to worry about maintenance when I get to that point.

It's funny...people at work are starting to call me "skinny" and questioning whether or not I should keep losing. Let me set the record straight....I'm not skinny by any means and likely will never be ( that is my old fat self talking...lol). My current BMI puts me squarely in the obese category...obese...still. And yet I'm getting "skinny" remarks.

My goal at this point is to make it to "overweight" on the BMI scale...then I'll re-evaluate.

But I agree with the OP...get to a weight that makes you comfortable where you are also healthy and fit. I want to be comfortable in my own skin so to speak...and not measure my success on the BMI scale.< /p>

I went below my personal goal by 22lbs. I felt fine but everyone else thought I was too thin, sickly even. But at 108lbs for someone who is 4'11'' that's a normal BMI. So I have gained about 3-5 lbs. back and now in my head I am panicking a little 'cus now I have concerns about gaining too much back. Specially since I bought all new clothes for work and play that are now feeling a little tight...eeks! Some of my bad habits are coming back but this weekend I worked really hard to make better food choices. However, there was no movement on the scale unlike before. I would loss something but nothing this time....another eeks! It has really messed with my head a little.

That's a very real question. For me the last time I was 143 I looked anorexic. Every bone showed in my chest and back. You would have thought I was 80 pounds not 140. For me i m shooting for the moon but as vain as I am I will stop when I no longer look healthy or feel good. Google "setpoint theory" for weight control. I think that will explain a lot for you. Hope that helps!

I get called Skinny at work. My face look skinnier, but, i still have 3 layer of belly fat! I mostly lost in the face and legs. With loose skin in the belly, arms and legs like many others.

Then Today, someone told me to go shopping and buy new clothes that fit because my pants were too big. I actually took it as a compliment.

My BMI is still obese I remind people and my self that I'm 200 something pounds and not at all skinny. My nut warned me that people would say things like that to get you to stop losing the weight. Thanks to her I had a heads up and I'm encouraged to stay with the program.

I want to be fit and healthy yes. So i got a long way to go. I dreamed of being able to participate In sports again like riding my bike and more. Time to look back at my goals to get more inspiration.