Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

types of protein drinks?

There's a lot more to Protein supps than taste....quality is what it's all about for weight loss purposes and health. We really need to be using supplements that are designed for bariatric patients rather than football players. They may cost a little more but after all the other expenses we've had getting to this point, we don't need to skimp on our medication (and this is essentially what the protein supps and Vitamins are). Find the highest protein/lowest carbohydrates product you can. Matrix, IDS, and nectar are all good brands.

Does everyone use Protein drinks? If so what kind? Would the costco, Kirkland brand chocolate slim drink fit into this category? All responses would be appreciated!!!!!!

I think the main thing that makes something a "protein drink" is the amount of Protein it contains. If Kirland brand chocolate slim drink has a lot of protein, then it would count as a Protein Drink. You can check out the amount of protein by looking on the nutrition information on the container.

I don't fully understand why we all need so much protein, but for now I'm just going on trust based on what my nutritionist says. She works with the lap band doctor. It seems like the "good" Protein Drinks seem to have at least 15 or 20 grams of protein per drink. I've decided to try the Adkins shake low carb Protein Drink which I hear tastes pretty decent. It has 20 grams of protein and 170 calories.

You can also make anything into a protein drink by adding Protein Powder to it. You can make Water into a protein drink if you add Protein Powder. Some protein powders claim to be "better tasting," "cleaner," "more complete," "more concentrated," etc. I'm not sure what to believe. I've decided to try the unjury brand protein powder which seems to have a strong following here (although not unanimous by any means). I'm also trying a brand of soy protein powder to see if I like that better.

But in any case, even if Kirkland brand chocolate slim drink is not a protein drink, you can make it into one by adding protein powder.

Run a few searches on this topic in this forum and you'll find lots of info.

I have used SportPharma Low Carb 100% whey Protein. I bought it at Sams Club (affiliated with Walmart), which is like a Kirklands brand (Sams Club). It has 22 gms of protien a scoop and 90 calories, 2 g of fat, 2 carbs, 2 sugars. I bought the vanilla and it was AWESOME. It is really smooth and has no bad aftertaste. I went back to my Sams and it wasn't there. So I am going to look at Wallmart who is a partner with Sams to see if they have it and check online at Sams.com and walmart.com It was a humongous container. I have triend lots and this by fat was the best tasting with good stats on it. It was only like $20 at Sams. I am going to see if SportPharma has a website too.

I also had the New Kelloggs' K20 Protein waters. They taste reallly good and filled me up surprisingly and I am not banded yet!!! They are 50 calories and have 5 gms of protein, 8 sugars (2% or less of sugar), whey protein isolate. I am going to get some for my liquied stage post op. I have to be on liquids you can see through.

Hope this helps,Audree

Be careful with the "slim fast" type drinks...they tend to have a lot of sugar and usually only about 10 grams of Protein. But like marjon9 said, I guess you could add protein powder to it. I use Body Fortress (you can get it at Target or Walmart) and it has 23 g of protein for 110 calories and only 1 gram of sugar. I mix it up with milk and that adds 9 more grams of protein and about 60 calories. I also have an unflavored one called Any Whey that I add to stuff like pudding and you can't even tell it's there. Hope that helps!

I have been using Designer Whey for a few weeks. It is okay. I don't love it but I bought 4 cans so I am suffering through it. The unflavored I add to my cream of wheat. I tried some samples of SmartForme (hot cocoa and a add in to Water that was Wildberry flavored). They were really good but expensive! I placed an order today since they are having a sale until 01/03. Not cheap but at this point I will spend the money if it means it will taste good!

Jdru:

I was wondering where you got the Any Why. Is it a clear whey that could be used in like a crystal light drink? I really like the kelloggs k20 Water, but they are expensive and I was wondering if there was a way to make my own.

Thanks,Audree

Hello Everyone,

I am on day two my pre-opt diet thing (hate it!) and I am using New Whey 42 grams of Protein shots it has 0 Sugar, 0 fat and 2 carbs. It is so easy I can drink the entire tube in less than five minutes (that will change once banded). It comes in orange and strawberry, but the orange taste better...I also blend it in a half cup of skim milk and ice w/ a little Splenda.

Hello Everyone,

I am on day two my pre-opt diet thing (hate it!) and I am using New Whey 42 grams of Protein shots it has 0 Sugar, 0 fat and 2 carbs. It is so easy I can drink the entire tube in less than five minutes (that will change once banded). It comes in orange and strawberry, but the orange taste better...I also blend it in a half cup of skim milk and ice w/ a little Splenda.

Hi Sheilamj1fan:

Does it comes in tubes or is it a scoop? I am on day 3 of pre op. It is hard and I blew it last night, but not too bad.

When are you getting your surgery and where? I am getting banded this Friday and I can't believe it!!!

Since you are a January bandster, we have a great thread!

Also the Lower Bmi group is really great!

God Bless,Audree

I use the XS nutrilite brand of Protein drinks they have 220 cals. and 35 grms of Protein.

little pricey, but they are all natural no food coloring or artificial flavors.

They tase better than a slim fast for sure, but now i am so sick of them.

the same brand also makes whey protein by the scoop and each scoop have 50 grms of protein and is all n atural

My mom actually bought it for me...I think she got it at GNC? ? If not, I'm sure you can find it if you google it. I've never tried adding the Any Whey to crystal light, but it has worked in everything for me except some really hot Soup. It clumped up and was VERY disgusting.

I've posted a comment about Protein powders that I've found on a few other threads here. I really can't stress enough how much I TRULY enjoy the ones I found. I purchased a bunch of 'samples' from them; so I could try a bunch of flavors, etc before 'investing' $40 + on an item I may not even like. Anyway...I found 'Simply Vanilla' by Matrix on www.bariatriceating.com. IT IS YUMMY. In other words, for my post surgical diet, I can definately see me drinking this; to get in my protein grams for each day. I'm talking delicious - I made it with milk. Their chocolate is fantastic too. The samples are just $1.75; but well worth it considering that I didn't waste money on a gross tasting item for $40. I also tried the Nectars Lemonade. SO GOOD!!! Can definately see me freezing it as an icepop with protein. Feel free to email me if you have questions. :faint:

I use Champion Nutrition whey Protein Stack drink mix. I've been experimenting with different "add-ins" to enhance the taste. I've found that tossing in a couple spoonfuls of lowfat flavored yogurt or sugar free pudding mix before blending really improves the taste. The banana pudding flavor was the best I tried so far.

Make sure whatever powder (or prepared liquid) you choose is low fat and low sugar.