Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I joined this site in November 2006, I was so ready to have the lap band done then I went to this seminar and the Doc changed my mind. Since then I've been having ups and downs about having the surgery and now Iam back thinking about it again. I need some advise really bad! I love this web site and I've been looking at the before and after pic's and yall look great! I would like to hear some of yall's stories and should I be having doubts about the surgery? Thanks

~Carmille

Well, What do you weigh? What would you like to weigh? Is insurance paying for it? What are you doubting? What did the doc say that changed your mind?

I ask all these questions because depending on your answers, the advise will be different.

It is normal to doubt. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I look forward to your responce.

What did the doctor say that changed your mind? Was it something personal about him, or you, or your health or other circumstances? Or were you just weirded out by the whole concept?

There are loads of people here with all sorts of stories, good and bad. Just look around and you'll find them. Everyone had doubts about surgery--that's perfectly normal--but at some point those who decided to proceed had reached their own personal tipping point. If you share some of your specific concerns perhaps we can help you find the right answer for you.

I weigh 280 lbs and 5'11 with high blood pressure, my pri doc said the lap band would be good for me but when I went to that last seminar the surgon there kind of changed my mind. He scared me because he was so blunt. My primary doc told me to not go to him because she didn't care for him. So Iam going to find another surgon and try this again. My insurance is good the worst they would make me do is wait 6 months (diet) and I've already started that. I don't want to take diet pills. Hey Yeehaw me and you are the same height how much weight have you lost so far? Stories and pictures really help bring my sprit up about the lap band. I almost forgot my first goal weight is 199 lbs as long as I can get under 200 lbs. Thanks ~Carmille

What was the surgeon so "blunt" about? Did he mention something about surgical risks, or was it something else? If you are comfortable, please give us more specifics. The advice you receive will most likely depend upon his remarks.

When I was searching for the "right doctor" to perform my surgery, I attended several seminars for several different surgeons before finding one I LOVED. I debated over having any kind of surgery for a while. Then, once I decided to go for it, I was back and forth, back and forth, between the band and the bypass. I was so afraid I wouldn't lose "enough" with the band. But re-routing my insides and having to deal with malabsorption issues was just as dis-concerning.

Obviously, I chose to have the lap band. And I must say, I am confident I made the right decision. I have lost almost 70 lbs in just under 6 months. The band can and does work if you are willing to put in the effort.

Keep us posted!

I've been back and forth so many times about the decision to have surgery. I was scared to death after reading about complications that could occur with the band. I got discouraged after family and friends told me not to do it. My point is you will probably hear a lot of negative things about the band from doctors, family, friends and even strangers, but only YOU know what's best for YOUR body. Gather as much information as possible about the surgery...Good and Bad. I'm sure you will come to the conclusion that the band is a wonderful tool that can help you in managing your weight. Good luck with your decision.

Carmille, surgery is a personal decision for all of us. That being said, I was 282 lbs prior to surgery. I am down about 34 lbs since June. My struggle has been slow but it well worth it. The band is a great weight loss tool. I would go for it if I were you. I am not looking back. Good luck.

Carmille,

I have posted a lot of information about me. Here are some links. Or you can just go to my profile and read all my post.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/r-u-re-t26479.html?t=26479

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/april-2006-bandsters-t25463.html?p=336414

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/why-not-admit-t25718.html PAGES 1 & 2

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/downside-being-banded-t25658.html?p=331346

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/before-and-after-t4642.html?p=330202

The last one are pictures. I have lost about 10 to 15 more pounds since that picture. I will update soon.

Please feel free to email me.

If you are still having serious doubts (not just the norm) then I would say you are not ready. You will get to a point when you know that is what you need and want. I was sooooo excited to have the surgery. I know that realisticly there is a good chance that I will not have the band forever, I will have to pay about 5,000 to have it removed. I discussed all this with my doc before surgery. As you can see I was self pay, I am so happy and would do it again if I needed to. I know that I could not be where I am today without the band.

Yeehaw,Oh my God! I was just looking at the before and after pic last night and ran across yours and showed my husband and said "look at this before picture, her body looks like mine now". I can tell a big difference in your body shape! Keep up the good work. My husband is on my side and wants the best for me but I believe he is gettin tired of my ups and downs. I want to feel better and have lots of energy and when I look in the mirror I smile. I am going to call another surgon tommorrow and go for it. How much do you weigh now? Iam in a size 22 and never been this big and its time for a change. Keep me posted and thanks for your wonderfull advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~Carmille

Monny0105, the doc I went to he was talking more about the gastric bypass than the lap band. He stated that "Lap Band" is a company thats just trying to sale the product and the surgery is not all that easy. I just didn't like him. The first seminar I went to was wonderful but they want $4000 out of pocket.

Good luck tammyj on your surgery, keep me posted on everything!

Thanks for the advise juliegeraci Iam going to go for it again!

~Carmille

OK.. if he is not for the lapband.. find another doc!!!!!!!! there are plenty of great surgeons who mainly do the band now.

Some docs are slow to change their mind, or heck it might even be a money issue.. it costs a lot more to have the bypass.. whatever his reason... SEEK OUT ANOTHER!

Just be careful.. It sounds like the surgeon you spoke to favors the bypass and is biased. (Bypass = more $$$... coincidence???) Yes, LapBand is a company/product name. It also happens to be the current leader in adjustable gastric banding devices. There are other name brands out there, probably just as good, but I felt comfort going with the LapBand brand because of it's popularity.

What area are you from? Would you consider traveling to NYC for surgery? I HIGHLY recommend my surgeon (Dr. Marina Kurian) from the Lenox Hill program. And just across the way at NYU are Dr.'s Fielding and Ren (leaders in adjustable gastric banding) Both practices have been cited on Castle Connelly's Top Doctor lists.

Its already been said, but everyone's journey is different. Mine has been great and complication free. Most doctor's have their prefered WLS, don't be talked into or out of anything. The decision is yours alone. Just keep in mind that any WSL is not the magic cure. Work still has to be done and rules followed for the most part. But the band makes those rules much easier to follow. I was banded in May 2006 and have lost 138 pounds as of this morning. I am 5'9" and started at 334 pounds. I have followed a low carb/low fat/high Protein diet and I think that has helped me loose at the rate I have lost. Has it been easy - no, would I do it again - in a heartbeat. Good luck with your decision.

By the way. I have before and current pics on my webpage. the link is in my signature.