Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Never Really Introduced Myself

I've been gathering all the information I can about the Lapband since this summer and I've finally made the decision to become banded. I don't have much support in my personal life. I just told my best friend of 19 years that I was having it done and her comment was "I think it's just an easy way out. You've lost weight before so you can do it again" Of course, my response was that the weight always comes back, but she wasn't buying it. My husband supports me, but he's a little worried. Being on this site has been such a blessing. I have been truly inspired by so many of you. It's great reading about other people who are considering the band, have the band or have lost the band. I am so ready to take control of my weight. My surgery date of March 15th seems so far away, but I know it will be here before I know it. Happy New Year to everyone! 2007 is going to be a great year!!!

Welcome! You are doing something great for yourself by having this surgery.

I understand how you are feeling now. MY DH was supportive but very worried and skeptical in the beginning. He had seen my go on so many diets and didn't want me to fail again.

Talk to him now and he is a 100% FIRM believer in the powers of the Lap Band.

Best of luck to you!!!

Thanks Heather. Some people have to see to believe, but I'm sure my hubby will come around.

Welcome Tammy! This site is a great resource for information and support, you will learn a lot. Good luck on your journey and keep us updated on your progress!

Hi Tammy, Don't worry about what your friend says. If you are like me, you've already tried all the diets-lost weight- stoppped diet and gained back even more. I have a friend who had a gastric bypass and lost alot of weight fast. She warned me that some people who you think are friends and should support you do exactly the opposite. She was amazed at how mean spirted some of these so-called friends were. Maybe jealousy who knows. Lap banders lose weight much slower than the other surgeries , so it's much healthier. Go For It!!! Have a Great New Year!!

Gday Tammy, good on you for putting your health needs first. If your friend thinks this is the easy way out she is sadly mistaken. Obesity is managed it is never cured. I send you all my best wishes all the way from Australia.:clap2: Susannah

Welcome! Lap Band is not the easy way out.... a just a bit of reading on these boards should convince her otherwise, but that said.. this is YOUR journey not hers.

I look forward to hearing your updates

Welcome Tammy, I have decided not to tell my best friend for that exact reason, I didn't want to hear those words. My surgery is Feb 14. Your husband sounds like he's in the same mind frame as mine, supportive but worried about me. I'm confident that it will all come together.

Welcome and congrats on your decision. I actually chose not to tell any of my friends because I knew they would have the same opinion. I can tell you, this is not easy. It is a tool but I will still have to work at making correct choices with my food and exercising every day. Not to mention, as I have said in other posts, if there were an "easy way out", I would be the first in line...where is the medal for taking the "hard" way to get your health in check. Please!!!!

Thanks to all of you, I do have a place where I can talk to people who understand.

Hi Tammy, you will always have someone that comments about the band. I would highly recommend that you be selective on who you tell. The decision is very personal. You will love your band. I feel like I'll never gain this weight loss back. Congrats on making the first decision on the procedure. Good luck.

Hi Tammyj,

You've encouraged me a time or two, so you know you have my support. My husband is ready for me to get banded...my mom not so much. In the end I chose to do this for me. I'm ready...watch out summer time here I come!!

Hi Tammyj,

I'm in the same boat, I'm not quite getting the motivating response I so desperatly hope for from my family either. I told my sister and at first she was cool about it but when she heard what it was all about(not a quick fix) she kind of changed her tune on it. I'm afraid to talk to anyone about it because with my past weightloss experiances .....if I tell everyone one about it, it almost seems like I'm destined to fail. Well, I guess that is what we (here at lapbandtalk) are all here for! Good Luck and I'm looking forward to reading all about your success! Nicole