Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

X-Smokers Unite!!! I did it!!!

:clap2:Well, I did it! I quit smoking! I was horrified when I went to my seminar and they told me that I would need to be a non-smoker for three months before they would do the lapband! I didn't think I could do it-not smoke AND not eat? Well, I just woke up on Dec. 24th and decided that if I really wanted this to happen that I would have to give it up. So I just threw my cigarettes away and gave away all my lighters that I had stashed (or maybe misplaced) to my stinky smoking friends! I ended up going to the doctor and was put on Wellbutrin which is helping me I guess! I guess all I wanted to say is: "holy crap-I really quit smoking!". It was actually easier than i thought it would be, considering I'm 32 and have smoked regularly for about 16 years:eek:-so if I can do it, anyone can! Talk to you soon!

That is great!!! I quit last January 1st...it does get easier...but it is worth it...there is a great website I found quitnet.com......great support, hang in there....feel free to pm me if you need anything!!!:clap2:

Congrats! Its one of the hardest things I ever did, but I too quit last new years after 12 years of smoking. I found that by telling everyone I was going to quit, I kind of "forced" myself to, because I didn't want to be a failure! I've been having cravings this past week, which has been weird, but I am putting it down to the new good/better foods I am eating (or something haha). My Dr and my surgeon both said to me when I told them I had quit - YOU REALISE YOU CAN NEVER EVER SMOKE AGAIN, NOT EVEN A PUFF. EVER. And I never ever will, thats all it will take for me to go back again, I know that.

Its such an addictive habit with so many negative repercusions and not really any good ones! Well done on overcoming that, and stay strong - the rest of your life starts now!! :clap2:

I am still trying to quit...I only started a year ago post surgery but my headspace with the break up of my marriage hasn't been all that good so I have indulged myself in that addictive habbit...I keep on telling myself i had lapband to get myself healthy and here I am just making myself unhealthy by my smoking...I will get there... I am just too used to having this crutch at the moment.

:) becky

Been there, Done that! Congratulations to all the non-smokers!

I have smoked on and off (more on) for 20 years. I quit during both of my pregnancies. Whatever possessed me to start again?!

I had a stroke almost 2 yrs ago at 36 yrs old. My Dr. told me to quit or else I'd have another stroke within 5 years and it would be severe the next time. Well, I quit again for around 2 months, had some marriage problems and started again.

I have been smoke free for 7 days and 17 hours!!!

I've been taking the newest drug on the market, Chantix. It doesn't have nicotine, it somehow stops the nicotine in your blood stream from hitting a part of your brain that causes you to like the feeling of smoking.

I actually quit 1 day before my quit date.

I was surprised to find that my van actually starts without rolling down the window and lighting a cigarette!!!

Good Luck to all and keep up the good work!

WE CAN DO THIS!

I am still trying to quit...I only started a year ago post surgery but my headspace with the break up of my marriage hasn't been all that good so I have indulged myself in that addictive habbit...I keep on telling myself i had lapband to get myself healthy and here I am just making myself unhealthy by my smoking...I will get there... I am just too used to having this crutch at the moment.

:) becky

becky-you will get there-something will trigger in your head that you don't want to smoke anymore! it's ok-smoking has been my crutch for 16 years-you'll get through it! i shouldn't say this, but at least you're smoking instead of gaining weight! i'll never admit i said that, even though most of us probably feel that way!

Been there, Done that! Congratulations to all the non-smokers!

I have smoked on and off (more on) for 20 years. I quit during both of my pregnancies. Whatever possessed me to start again?!

I had a stroke almost 2 yrs ago at 36 yrs old. My Dr. told me to quit or else I'd have another stroke within 5 years and it would be severe the next time. Well, I quit again for around 2 months, had some marriage problems and started again.

I have been smoke free for 7 days and 17 hours!!!

I've been taking the newest drug on the market, Chantix. It doesn't have nicotine, it somehow stops the nicotine in your blood stream from hitting a part of your brain that causes you to like the feeling of smoking.

I actually quit 1 day before my quit date.

I was surprised to find that my van actually starts without rolling down the window and lighting a cigarette!!!

Good Luck to all and keep up the good work!

WE CAN DO THIS!

AWESOME GIRL! we can do this together!

I quit, too - used Zyban, and it took the craving away. I did it a month POST band - and yeah not eating and not smoking is kinds hard...lol...

I quit too. After smoking for more than 15 years, I quit cold turkey. I gave it up for lent almost ten years ago and have never gone back. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Unfortunately, that's when I gained all my weight too!!! :)

I was just on the ( my time to quit sight) and then came to lapband and what did I find? Others trying to quit also. What a great day.I am only 15 pounds from goal and have got to quit smoking per my cardiologist and myself. Getting the weight off and then killing myself with those nasty a--

cigarettes. Good to see some one on the new med I was reading about. Going to the doctor next week and find out about it. I need all the support I can get and will also give all I can. Good luck to all who are trying to quit and have a great New Year.:)

WTG!

I quit on June 25, 2006. Every so often I think about picking up a cigarette but then I think about my changing life with the band.

Good luck to all the quitters!!

I am bringing in the New Year "SMOKE FREE" & regaining my health with the help of my band!!! :clap2:

Good Job and keep it up to all the non-smokers!...

to those thinking about quitting: You can do it! There are many over the counter aids and a few RX ones your Dr. should have no problem perscribing to you. I've quit smoking 4 times within the last 20 years. Nicotine patch worked well. Zyban didn't.

Chantix is working wonders for me right now

(smoke free for 9 days, and my DH hasn't moved out yet!) Ha! not a bit of stress or bitchiness!

Of course, I think it has a lot to do with my state of mind. I know that I won't get a LB surgery date until I've been smoke free for 2 months per the Dr.

It's weird what things drive you to quit, and what doesn't.

Anyway,

You can do it! I know you can!

mary-

we can do this! isn't it amazing how your mind can want to stop when it wants something bad enough?! my doc is demanding 3 months of not smoking-but i'm hoping to talk him down to 2 1/2!!! lol!

glad chantix is working-so far the wellbutrin is going well for me-my husband doesn't think i'm too psycho yet!!

YEAH for you!!! I haven't posted in a while, have been lurking,. Congrats, I quit in September and thought that I would balloon up 100 pounds. I was able to gain a very small amount and have since taken it off. I think that you have made a great decision. I didn't have to quit before the surgery, the doctor wanted me to but didn't require it. Good luck, you will feel so much better. (After 8 days the psycho craze should be all but gone)