Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Lisa and I'm currently 45 yrs old and a single mom to two kids (one is married and over 800 miles away, the other is a teen and lives with me). In my former (healthier) life, I was an RN. My health declined and as of 2002, I became disabled. My goal, at that time, was to pursue weight loss surgery, lose the weight, regain a healthier Me and go back to work. The plan didn't work too well.

Over the years, I researched weight loss surgery. With my insurance (medicare), it took awhile to find a provider that would accept the insurance, not to mention, medicare is very picky.

After alot of ups and downs, I went to Mexico in 2008 and got my Sleeve. There were some complications, but it wasn't too bad. I left the hospital on time and had no problems afterward.

My start weight was 396. I was miserable. My diabetes was out of control. I had hypertension. I was also confined to a power chair.

Within a year, I had dropped 100 lbs and was below 300 lbs. I was ecstatic. I hadn't been that "skinny" in years.

Then the weight loss slowed, then stopped. It was becoming harder and harder to remain on my "diet". From the beginning, I could always eat more than other post op Sleevers. I also never lost my appetite like many others do. I began having other health issues, then personal issues. In 2010, my husband of 23 yrs left me for someone else. My life spiraled downward after that. At first, I avoided food. I stopped eating altogether. I lost about 30 lbs. Once I began eating again, I didn't care what I ate. The depression that I had battled my entire life raised its ugly head and got very comfortable in my life. I turned to all of the wrong things.

Now, 2013, my weight has crept up over 300 again. This is devastating to me.

Obviously, I am not a success story. I think in the beginning of my journey, I was a bit naive, perhaps I wore the rose-colored glasses at times. I understood that this surgery was merely a tool and that I still had to do the work. I was willing to do the work. I just needed the help that the surgery gave me.

I am determined to at least get below the 300 lb mark again. I am back with the Protein Shakes, low carbs, drinking tons of Water. With my physical limitations, I haven't managed to make myself exercise yet. I know it's going to be very painful but I realize that it's necessary.

So, that is my story....or at least a few of the highlights. I'm an open book and will answer any question posed to me.....AND I'm willing to listen to any and all advice. I can use all of the help and support that I can get.

Lisa

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your story. I think you are right in saying that we shouldn't expect the surgery to do all the work. It has been work for me, that is for sure. I wish you all the success you deserve. I have heard on here several times that people have gone back and actually get re-sleeved to a smaller sleeve. I don't know if that is even an option. I truly wish you the best and thanks again for sharing.

Welcome Back! Admittedly your story is sobering, but this forum is for everyone, not just success stories. Please look into a re-sleeve, I have read that they can do them.

I'm glad to hear that you're getting back on track again; we'll be here to support you the whole way :)

Good for you for taking the steps to turn this around and to ask for help. You are very brave. Great job on getting back to the basics. The only thing I can maybe recommend is that there are chair level exercise videos out there you could maybe use or, if you already have exercise videos, just adapt them to do at chair level. Who cares if you can only get through 5 or 10 minutes of it. It's a start. Even if you don't do a video but just do about 10 leg raises a couple of times a day, at least your moving a bit.

Best of luck to you!

I'm Lisa and I'm currently 45 yrs old and a single mom to two kids (one is married and over 800 miles away' date=' the other is a teen and lives with me). In my former (healthier) life, I was an RN. My health declined and as of 2002, I became disabled. My goal, at that time, was to pursue weight loss surgery, lose the weight, regain a healthier Me and go back to work. The plan didn't work too well.

Over the years, I researched weight loss surgery. With my insurance (medicare), it took awhile to find a provider that would accept the insurance, not to mention, medicare is very picky.

After alot of ups and downs, I went to Mexico in 2008 and got my Sleeve. There were some complications, but it wasn't too bad. I left the hospital on time and had no problems afterward.

My start weight was 396. I was miserable. My diabetes was out of control. I had hypertension. I was also confined to a power chair.

Within a year, I had dropped 100 lbs and was below 300 lbs. I was ecstatic. I hadn't been that "skinny" in years.

Then the weight loss slowed, then stopped. It was becoming harder and harder to remain on my "diet". From the beginning, I could always eat more than other post op Sleevers. I also never lost my appetite like many others do. I began having other health issues, then personal issues. In 2010, my husband of 23 yrs left me for someone else. My life spiraled downward after that. At first, I avoided food. I stopped eating altogether. I lost about 30 lbs. Once I began eating again, I didn't care what I ate. The depression that I had battled my entire life raised its ugly head and got very comfortable in my life. I turned to all of the wrong things.

Now, 2013, my weight has crept up over 300 again. This is devastating to me.

Obviously, I am not a success story. I think in the beginning of my journey, I was a bit naive, perhaps I wore the rose-colored glasses at times. I understood that this surgery was merely a tool and that I still had to do the work. I was willing to do the work. I just needed the help that the surgery gave me.

I am determined to at least get below the 300 lb mark again. I am back with the Protein shakes, low carbs, drinking tons of Water. With my physical limitations, I haven't managed to make myself exercise yet. I know it's going to be very painful but I realize that it's necessary.

So, that is my story....or at least a few of the highlights. I'm an open book and will answer any question posed to me.....AND I'm willing to listen to any and all advice. I can use all of the help and support that I can get.

Lisa[/quote']

Welcome back! Can u suggest a book- beyond the refrigerator by Linda- she's a therapist in AZ and had the sleeve in 2006 I believe- it was good... Really great actually! After reading it I went to my own therapist that specialized in cbt therapy for eating disorders- it's been reallllllly good!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm not sure what your disability is, but I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. Some days I can not even move or lift an arm because of the pain. I am pre-op right now and can't wait for surgery. Anyway, my rheumatologist suggested I do arthritis Water aerobics. I plan on starting them next week. Just a thought for you. Stay string and never give up!

weight loss slowed, then stopped. It was becoming harder and harder to remain on my "diet".

Lisa, Lisa :)

Welcome Home :)

i am sorry you have been, and are still going through your ordeal/problems

personal and physical

it can be/was hard to say what you did

hopefully/maybe you feel better after spilling your guts ;)

therapeautic for me!!! :)

you know the procedure with what you are supposed to do post WLS

but its understandable if you need to be reminded of some of the many important rules

Water rules especially

if you did forget anything ask away - we don't bite ;)

well.......not usually ;)

Protein shakes, Water - all that good stuff

you ARE a success story, because you told/shared your life over these past years

and i can see B) in your pretty face, eyes, and smile you are terrific :)

as far as exercise......there is a video for people using a chair to exercise - because they can't do the alternative

moving is moving

you must get out of that chair (with help if necessary)

your legs play "tricks" on you

if you don't use the legs - they get all stiff, and stiff, and stiffer

"use them or lose them" :(

even just moving the legs around like OP mentioned is better than nothing

arm circles, any basic movement you can think of is better than nothing

you CAN and will do this

we're all here to give encouragement and support whenever you need it :)

take care hun

you can have many new friends here!!

raising my hand, raising my hand

best of luck

kathy

Thank you all. I really appreciate it.

Welcome back to the forums. Sometimes it's difficult to be here if you're not on the right track or you're struggling, but that is the time you need to be here the most.

I'm sorry for the struggles you've had. This is not an easy journey with a perfect life, and having so much stress, upheaval and illness only makes things even more challenging.

Keep yourself accountable and join a few groups here - find people you can connect with and start this journey anew. This isn't about the last few years; this is about today, and your determination to start fresh and get yourself to a better place.

I say it all the time around here - the goal is not a number on the scale. It's the emotional journey. It's getting to that place where food is just food again and not a comfort or a place to hide. It's learning how to cope in new ways. It's learning how to maintain for life. It's a challenge for most of us, I promise you. Losing weight is a side effect and a wonderful one, but if you don't focus on what's going on with your emotions, too, you'll continue to fight this fight.

Best to you - and please stay around. You can succeed. Just coming here to share and open up is a start, and getting back to those sleeve basics will get you on the right path.

I also had to "detox" recently. Just a few days and the mindless snacking is gone and I feel more in control. It's no surprise that I've spent more time on VST during those more challenging days than I had been previously...when I was falling off the rails! Being here keeps us accountable, I really believe that.

~Cheri