Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I am new here. I have been approved for lap band and will undergo surgery in late January or early February.

I keep hearing -- and have been told by my insurance case worker -- that recovery can be as little as 4-7 days. Not total recovery, but to the point where you can work. That sounds unreal to me but I hope it's true!

This looks like a great site.

Welcome & Best of luck with your surgery. I think the back to work thing, all depends on what you do for work, your pain tolerence level and many factors. I work as a Direct Support Professional (Similiar to a nurse aide) and I took ten days off, was on light duty (no lifting) for three weeks after returning to work. My pain tolerence is very high, but I needed that healing time.

I just watched a web presentation required by my doc and they said for a desk job a few days to a week, but something like construction may take a few weeks

I took 2 wks. 1 wk that I really needed and the 2nd week was just getting back to doing things and I couldn't drive for 2 wks either. I probably could've gone back after 1 wk but it would've been a little too much. If you can take the time, take it...Good Luck.

Hi Syrah

Welcome And Congratulations On Your Upcoming Surgery. I Think That With Recovery Time It Is Soo Different With Everyone. I Had No Problems And No Pain That Motrin Didn't Take Care Of And I Was Only Down For 2 Days. The Day Of Surgery And The Next Day Until I Was Released From The Hospital. Mowed The Lawn The Next Day And Started Walking Every Day Immediately Afterwards. I Think I Was So Excited About Finding An Answer And Doing Something About It That No One Could Keep Me Down. I Think I Have A Pretty High Pain Tolerance Though. Again, It All Depends On The Person. Don't Rush Yourself, Just Listen To What Your Body Is Telling You. There Is No Prize Won For Recovering Faster Than Anyone Else. It Truly Is Up To Your Body. Take Care And I Can't Wait To Here From You Again To Let Us Know How Things Went.good Luck

Welcome Syra and Congratulations on your surgery date! For me it took about 3-4 days to recover to the point that I could start power walking (exercise) and participate in life again. I hope it is the same for you. Best wishes and keep us posted on your progress.

:) becky