Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much time to take off from work for surgery?

I was just wondering how much time i should take off from work for my surgery. I would love to get some feedback from others on this. I know recovery time is different for everyone but just a generalized idea would be great. I don't do strenuous work and mostly set all day. Thanks!

Hi pinkow100-

My name is Crystal and my surgery is 7/22 I took 3 weeks off hoping that will be enough. I have read a lot of posts on this and everyone is different but seems 3 weeks is average. I know most people are still tired and don't have a lot of energy but seem to either go back 1/2 days or go to sleep early at night. I work in an office so I sit most of the day also so I am hoping that it won't be too bad. Good luck with Surgery!!!

I took 3 weeks off. I start back to work on Monday. I think I would have been fine at 2 weeks, but I'm glad I took that extra week. I still don't have all my energy back. It gets better every day, though. I have a pretty active job, so maybe with a desk job 2 weeks may be fine. I've read on here where people went back after 4 days! God bless them, but I couldn't have done that! I would err on the side of caution and ask for more time off. If you don't need it, you don't have to take it. Good luck!

I was back to work in a week.

I had my surgery June 3 and I could have went back to work as early as June 7 as I was off pain meds, very active, and able to drink well. I know that I had one of the easiest recoveries and a sit down job too. I actually took 2 weeks off and worried that I wouldn't be healed enough by the end of that time frame. I know everyone is different and I wouldn't base your recovery on my results.

Maybe it's possible for you to start by taking a couple of weeks off....and adjust from there? or go on short term disability if you need more time after the two weeks?

I know a lot of people take off about 2 weeks on average. I took off 1.5 months and I am so glad that I did. I was able to have my family really sit down and listen to my needs and help me as much as possible. Also, by the time I returned I got so many compliments on how much weight I lost.

I forgot to add that by week 2 I could have gone back without any real issues. By week 4 I really was back to normal, albeit I couldn't' eat like I normally did, LOL

I took 1 week off but I work part time. It is a desk job. I was still tiring pretty easily at that time so it was difficult for me to get ready w/o being out of breath. Putting on makeup- taking a shower- was strenuous. Just take it slow.

I took 3 weeks too. I'm a hairstylist and 3 weeks was perfect!

I have a billion sick leave days so I've taken 2.5 weeks. Could have gone back earlier, but I'm enjoying the break as well as getting used to all the new sleeve things.

I took a week off. Wish I would of taken 2 weeks. Best of luck to you

I took 2 weeks off- I was still sore, but felt ready to go back. I have a desk job though so nothing strenuous and a great boss who lets me walk around as much as I need to. I have had no problems other than the waistband of my pants bothering me when I am sitting since it goes across one of my incisions, but I have just been unbuttoning my pants (I work in a cubicle) and it has not been an issue.

I mostly work from my home office at a desk job and I only took a few days off, but I was truly exhausted. If I had paid sick time, I would have taken at least a few weeks off, but I was worried about losing income or clients. I never, ever nap unless I am seriously ill, but I felt like I needed a nap every day for the first few weeks. I would say definitely don't go back until you are off full liquids if you have the time off available. Maybe try part time your first week back. I think 3 weeks off is about right. People with more physical jobs take about 6 weeks usually.

desk job, had surgery on Monday back to work the next Monday

I know a lot of people take off about 2 weeks on average. I took off 1.5 months and I am so glad that I did. I was able to have my family really sit down and listen to my needs and help me as much as possible. Also' date=' by the time I returned I got so many compliments on how much weight I lost.[/quote']

I am so happy to see that you took this time. I have a desk job but it is very stressful. I have 100+ sick days and I am taking 5.5 weeks. I work at a desk but 10 hour days. These people have no concern for anyone..so I am making sure I have my strength back, an exercise plan and a good sense of what I can eat. If I go back earlier I will never get the time for this and I am afraid I will sabatoge myself.