Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico Doctor Questions

Ugh. Can't decide between 3 doctors.

Dr. Kelly

Dr. Garcia

Dr. Lopez

I would like to finally decide by tomorrow. Can anyone comment on the following questions on either one if these Doctors.

Pre-op diet

Post-op diet

Does the Doctor provide pain meds

Does the Dr./Nurse speak English clearly. I will be on my own

Is there a TV and internet in the hospital.

Do they give a leak test before leaving?

How were incisions closed? Will I need a follow up in the states to have something removed

I know there a lot of questions. My head is swimming and I can't decide. Thank you !!!!!! N

Tampa,

I had Lopez, and I know he and Garcia are both out of the same hospital, MI. So you will probably experience the same post op care from both these Drs. With Lopez, Rhonda was my coordinator, but I also worked with Janice. I was e-mailed a pre-op diet and told to follow it, not given much guidance, was not pressured or followed up or checked on to be sure I was following the pre-op. I actually started the per-op early out of personal fear of my liver not shrinking enough, but the pre-op was supposed to be just 2 weeks. Post-op, same thing, was not given anything more than an e-mail, and 'good luck'! My coordinators were good and prompt at following up with either phone call, or e-mail, but did not bug me or check in really other than when they needed too. There were pain pills and plenty of pain meds given in the hospital, at discharge I was given 4 pills. I thought this would not be enough, to took a taxi to a pharmacy and purchased more. I personally did not need more than the 4 that they gave me, but was glad I bought extra just in case. I felt Lopez spoke good English, no need for a translator, some of the nurses were so so on English, but there was always someone to interpret, I never felt lost, or unsure or not understood. There was TV and internet at the hospital and the hotel. I got 3 leak tests, 1 while I was under, a blue dye test, and a dye test. All 3 of mine were clean! The incisions were closed via internal stitches, and maybe some glue? Had no issues with mine, you do have a drain for 3 days it is removed in the hospital the night before you leave. I did not have any complications, I have followed up with my PCP to have blood drawn, labs done to be sure my Vitamin levels etc are good. Abraham and Eduardo who are with you from the time you are picked up until you leave are both fantastic, I cannot say enough good things about the care I was given while I was there. I felt ALighterMe did a great job or representing Dr. Lopez, and I could not beat the price. PM me if you have other questions, or just want to talk, but that was my experience, and I hope you can hear from some others before the end of the night who had other Drs. to help you make your decision. Good luck whatever you decide!!

There are two different Dr Garcia's.

I went to Dr Fernando Garcia who uses Oasis/Florence Hospital

Ready 4A Change was the coordinator team I used (Alma)

The entire team spoke near perfect english, the hospital care was better than some I have had in the states and I had three leak tests over the two day stay before moving to the Marriott.

I have now sent two of my friends there, one is getting surgery tomorrow. He was my support person last month and he was so impressed he immediately filled out paperwork for his sleeve. That is a testament to the quality of care you will receive from Ana, Alma, Dr Garcia, Dr Luna and the rest of the team.

I also had Dr. Fernando Garcia...

Pre-op diet - They emailed me a pre-op diet to follow which I was to start 2 weeks prior to surgery (Protein shake for Breakfast, Protein Shake for lunch, small salad & Protein such as chicken for dinner, then 3 days prior start Clear liquids only)

Post-op diet- They emailed me the post-op diet, but you can also look online for other ideas of what to eat & recipes to make

Does the Doctor provide pain meds- yes, i was given medication to take for pain & also for gas

Does the Dr./Nurse speak English clearly - Yes, the drs speak good English & most of the nurses speak good English (I didn't have any communication problems & I don't speak a lick of Spanish except for a few words I learned in highschool)

Is there a TV and internet in the hospital.- Yes & yes - there are mostly spanish shows though which kinda sucked but every now and then an English speaking show would come on - the hotel has much more English speaking channels

Do they give a leak test before leaving? Yes, I think it was one in surgery & then one the next day

How were incisions closed? Will I need a follow up in the states to have something removed - i had staples, which they removed the day before we left & it didnt hurt at all.. Dr. Luna, his assisting dr came to take those out at the hotel..

Everyone was very sweet & helpful.. Our driver, Samuel was great too. I hope this helps :)

I also had Dr Fernando Garcia,

Everything VS-Fat-To-Fit-Girl said is true, except they do a leak test immediately after surgery (while your under) and two other leak tests while your recovering in the hospital. They give you a drink that tastes like liquid aspirin, followed by an immediate Catscan, than before you leave in the morning they have you drink a blue liquid that they look for in your drain bag. So a total of 3 leak tests. Amazing nurses, really caring and attentive, they speak english. My incisions healed up perfectly and quickly, I had them taken out my last day in the hospital before going back to the hotel. OH and also the Hotel has free wifi along with the hospital. I went by myself too, no support person and I was extremely comfortable and very well taken care of. I would recommend Dr. F. Garcia and his team to anyone and everyone!! Wonderful experience!!

If you have Kindle or anything like that, bring it, than you don't have to worry about the mostly Spanish channels :-)

I had Dr. Lopez, but had my surgery in Puerto Vallarta, so my experience may be a little different than those of others.

Pre-op diet - two to three Protein shakes a day (I used EAS or Premier) and a sensible dinner (protein and veggie)

Post-op diet - 2 days of Clear Liquids, 2 weeks of full liquids (pudding, Jello yogurt, strained Soups included), 2 weeks of blended/pureed, 2 weeks of soft solids

Does the Doctor provide pain meds - Yes. I received 2 sample packs of ketorolac tromethamine (6 pills each) when I checked out of the hospital.

Does the Dr./Nurse speak English clearly. I will be on my own. - The doctors speak very good English, the nurses in PV do not.

Is there a TV and internet in the hospital. - Yes

Do they give a leak test before leaving? -- I only had 2. One during surgery and 1 the day after surgery.

How were incisions closed? Will I need a follow up in the states to have something removed -- The incisions are closed with internal, dissoluble sutures and external glue. No need for followup. Some of my internal stitches started spitting (coming out of the skin), which I am told is fairly normal.

Hope this helps!

I will also add that Dr Fernando Garcia has some great YouTube videos about his team, surgery, etc. I was so impressed after watching the videos, that is what sealed it for me.

Just go to YouTube and input "Dr Fernando Garcia"...you will also see "Ready4AChange" come up

My hubby just had his sleeve on June 21! He is currently staying at The Marriott having been discharged from the hospital this morning...He had a WONDERFUL experience with Dr. Luna/Garcia and the team!! VERY professional and wonderful care from all the medical staff!! Dr. Luna came by twice a day to check and assess and even did a 30 minute video conference with me back home at hubby's bedside talking about everything while sitting in a chair by his bed sipping a coffee!! What doctor does that in the USA??The nursing staff were super attentive and were there for every need...They checked in on him at least hourly and his pain was well maintained on toradol and tramadol when the toradol wasn't kicking it by itself...He didn't have any nausea and everything went as smooth as silk! He actually could of gone home today, but will be staying till tuesday :) Got to say, he is getting bored but isn't the kind to go sight seeing ;) I go down on the 7th for my surgery on the 8th and plan to do some sightseeing if i can! !LOL!...There is a 4D theater near by and a new mall from what i've heard...and i'll deffinatly be using the pool the day before surgery :) I can't wait to get down there and have mine done and finally be on the other side of this surgery :)

Did you make a decision? I just went tolopez last week and am extremely pleased with all aspects.

I went to Dr Kelly. I went direct with him and not thru a service.

Pre-op diet...yes they will email it to you

Post-op diet...they will send you home with one

Does the Doctor provide pain meds...yes, you get plenty in the hospital, then you get a bag when leaving with antibiotics and pain meds....I never used the pain meds

Does the Dr./Nurse speak English clearly. I will be on my own...yes the dr does. I had mine done at florence and most did speak English, some a little, some just enough

Is there a TV and internet in the hospital. ...yes, there are both at florence, but I believe Dr Kelly is using Nova now....

Do they give a leak test before leaving?

How were incisions closed? Will I need a follow up in the states to have something removed...mine were glued

Hopee this helps. I had a good experience and all is well.